• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Walleye

Just got back from a lake in the northeast metro and caught a 28 inch, 8-9 lb walleye. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a taxidermist for me, or if anyone has some info on where I could find one. I would like to get this trophy fish mounted! Thanks in advance.

Congrats Eds,
that is quite a catch. My wife caught one
for the wall several years ago. We took it to Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale. They had a taxidermist from Shafer who did the mount.
An excellent job, I must say. Looks as good today as 9 years ago. Dropped it off mid-June, done by Christmas. Call them, see if they still offer that. Until then, wrap it in newspaper, and keep it frozen.
Don

Congrats on the catch!!! Nice eye for the wall. I recommend North Country Taxidermy. His name is Rick Simonson and he does a great job. I have a deer, a mallard and a northern that he has done for me. Great attention to detail with the colors and everything. He has a website but I don't want to give it for fear of censorship, but look him up and he can give it to you. He is located in Coon Rapids. Congrats again on the nice eye'.

Nice catch Ed!!! Thats a beauty! FiberTech in Brainerd does both replicas and mounts, very well done too.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

Wings-things off 65 in bethel does a great job, he has received nation wide recognition for both deer, bear and fish mounts, he also shows you the process of keeping you fish for years to come, great guy, decent prices and his name is Chris Wallace.
best Fishes
Chris

Eds,

I don't know how many recommendations you are going to get but it looks like you have some calling around and research to do.

To confuse things even more, I take my stuff to Jacks Taxidermy in Coon Rapids. Jack Hanson is the guy you want to talk to. Yes, he's a family relative.

I've got a drake gadwall, drake bufflehead, ruff grouse, & a big Pike done by him. My brother has a drake green wing teal and a pair of wood ducks done by him and a pair of Goldeneyes which are in his shop right now.

Guess I don't need to say that I'm impressed with his work. If I wasn't, I wouldn't keep going back.

Jims Lakeland Taxidermy in Mound. Had a walleye and some ducks done there. The wait is worth it.

I had a deer done at Taxidermy Unlimited in Apple Valley. They did a great job. They have a great reputation for quality

Taxidermy Unlimited is about as good as it gets.

I second North County Taxidermy. He actually has a nice walleye of mine from LOTW right now that he's working on for me. He has a lot of fish and other animals in his shop for you to look at to see his work prior to dropping it off. Can't wait to get that one back for the wall.

Animal Arts in New Hope. The guys name is Chuck Bruns. He does very nice work.

Sorry. It's actually in Golden Valley. He did my walleye and it turned out excellent. Fairly priced too.

I would just like to say that I do not recommend North Country Taxidermy. I know someone said they had good luck. But I took a 5.5lb largemouth to Rick and I'd have to say it's one of the worst jobs I've seen. It looks more like an army truck than a largemouth. Just my 2 cents...

You can take it to The Fly Angler (Thorne Brothers) in Fridley.

7500 University Ave. NE
Fridley MN 55432
763-572-0717
[email protected]

They work with Matt Yernatich of Artistic Anglers in Duluth. He does nice work, but is busy. I had a 20" (5lb) smallmouth that my son caught done a couple of years ago. You can call them to see if they still work with Matt.

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer