• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MonsterMechanic

WOW!!! Metro lakes for opener

MonsterMechanic

I had no choice. I had to attend a wedding on opener. Therefore, I was stranded in the metro for fishing. All the painful thoughts and agony I went through thinking of missing out on opener weekend... that just came to a halt! Nevermore shall I dread the thought of fishing the metro on opener weekend. In fact, from now on, I will always fish the metro that weekend. We have had the best fishing in many years on lakes we fish very often. Panfish, Wallies, Northern, they are insane right now. It's almost too easy. And may I add, my brother and I fished with ONE other boat on the lake. I am once again in love with Minnesota fishing. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but wow, we have some incredible lakes to fish right now. Obviously, we are having wonderful success due to the lack of traffic. I hope y'all have had success too.

As always,
Catch 'em fast!

Lost

Without giving out your hotspot, could we get some general information about what you were using, what kind of conditions, depth, etc?

I drove by Long Lake (New Brighton) and saw a fishing dock full of people and at least 10 boats out there around 6pm.

Joe's Kid

Nice goin' Monstermech!
I also love the quiet lakes in the cities when everyone goes out of town.
Funny you should mention a wedding. Until now, my Dad was the only guy I ever knew who pulled that trick. He told me he suggested a date in May to my mother as a good date for a wedding, and she had no idea that it was opening weekend (snicker). They spent thier honeymoon in a cabin (and a boat)on Lake Vermillion. He told me he figured that way he would never forget their anniversary. It worked. He never forgot. Anyway, glad you got out and got some fish.

MonsterMechanic

Lost & Kid,

I've been very busy so sorry I haven't posted back. Kid... that's not a bad idea. I'll be taking the plung(marriage) within two years and a fishing honeymoon has already been discussed. Now, having your marriage and anniversary on or around opener might be a good thought. A couple of my buddies and I were joking about how the groom better not get into fishing, if he does, he'll never be able to go out on opener. Now my woman, she loves fishing. She might be a good canidate. Augh, who am I kidding. If I had my wedding on opener, about three guys would show while the other 150 would be laughing, fishing, and calling me a sucker.
Lost...we caught all of our sunnies on wax worms, our crappies on minnows and a few on waxies, northern on red & white daredevils and white spinners tipped with white twister tails(Dare Devils and white spinners w/ white twisters are by far the best northern catchers of all time, in my opinion), and our walleyes on Lindy rigs with crawlers. Despite the "pro's" teaching me that the walleyes don't bite on Lindy rigs or crankbaits at this time of year, they said only jigging works at this time, the only walleye we caught were on a Lindy rig with crawlers, not leeches either. If your ever in need of another fishing partner or willing to trade some "hotspots", let me know. Like most people, I've got my "for sure" spots, but I don't talk much about them without fishing with that person.

Once I get my pictures back I'll post them so you know I'm not all talk. It may take a little while, I've still got film from two years ago. I'm a slacker with that stuff, but now I've got the woman and she loves the whole pictures thing so I'm sure she'll be getting them developed soon.

Good luck to both of you this season. As always... Catch 'em fast!
--sorry about all the edits, I found spelling errors and I can't stand that--

[This message has been edited by MonsterMechanic (edited 05-18-2004).]

BigStevie

Hey Monster Mech,

Wasn't that you that had posted some info on Lake Josephine during the ice season?? You ever fish it during the open water? Or was that your hot spot this last weekend? Just wondering if you've had any luck in the open water. I live right by the lake, so I may just head out there one of these days at try it myself.

Good fishing!
Steve

Havin' Fun

I don't think too many pro's will tell you that you won't catch and shouldn't use lindy's with anything. In fact, most will tell you to be versatile. Water temps really dictate what's being used. Cranks and spinners don't work the best in cold water, but can be productive if water temps warm up. This time of the year, with cooler water, slow jigging with minnows, lindy's with all live bait and a minnow shaped crankbait trolled or preferably casted and retrieved slowly are my personal choices.

BUT...you never know and experimentation often leads to the biggest discoveries and often the biggest fish!!!

Maximum12

BigStevie/Monster Mech, I'd be curious about Josephine too.

Stevie, I live in St. Paul & went to Johanna last weekend for the first time Only out for a short bit before the rain, but caught a few fish. I'll be back.

MonsterMechanic

BigStevie,

That's me. I'm on Edgewater. Email ar [email protected] if you'd like some more info.

Catch 'em fast!