• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Northern Ducks?

tracker x-2

fishhappy,

what lake were you on?

my dad and i were out on laura lake sat and sun.

we got 4 birds, 3 ring necks and 1 golden eye...

My cabin is on upper trelipe..

we did hear a ton of shooting on big rice and a lot of duck were flying high and 3 min later we heard tons of shots..

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jordyn Kaufer

• dan z

• luckycrank

• Quackaddict9

Thousands of birds in aitkin area but lots in large staging flocks. Saw a flock of over ten thousand get up in the morning and migrate literly covered horizon. Also saw multiple flocks of 1000-3000 birds migrating.

LeeMB Thanks for the update, it is much appreciated! It is nice to hear what is going on in Canada, from someone who hunts and lives there. Keep the shotgun loaded and the reports coming. Once again, Thanks

A lake just outside outing off of 48, sorry don't want the lake to end up full of guys.. smirk The one guy in town heres about it he and his whole family will be out there until they shoot the birds out of there. Really though people don't come out there unless they here ducks are around and then she fills up with hunters and less and less ducks, you guys did alright it sounds on laura I take it we thought about driving up there sunday but man I don't think it mattered we got into em where we were also.

did you happen to go past outing hardware??

My grandpa owns that. And do you know the trading post in remer? My uncle owns that....

Jordyn how many guys were out on laura lake I am going to be up there deer hunting and going to try it for ducks on thrusday and friday just wondering how busy it was thanks

it wasnt too busy but get there around 1.5hrs before shooting time if you want a good spot.

try to get the point to the right of the landing.

there are usually a group of 2 boats out on it.

if you can get out there during the day with light do it.

it will help a lot so you know where you're going.

and good luck!!

fishhappy I think it hilarious that you claim that:

*** "sorry don't want the lake to end up full of guys.. The one guy in town heres about it he and his whole family will be out there until they shoot the birds out of there"

When you post:

*** "got into ringnecks like no tomarrow"

*** "Best shoot me and him have ever had"

*** "8 birds down in 20 min. and though we had too many bluebills "

*** "next time I'm identifing the birds when we get them my cousin thought the first 3 were bills and they weren't"

*** "Big rice just outside of remer I heard flocks of 25,000 divers were on were on that lake"

Why that's hilarious to me is that YOU ARE FROM BROOKLYN PARK!!!

You admit you can't ID ducks,

Have never gotten into divers very well before,

Send everybody on this site to poor already overhunted Rice Lake,

AND BEST OF ALL YOU BLAME THE LOCALS (I live 35 minutes away)FOR POTENTIALLY OVERHUNTING AND BLABBING TOO MUCH ABOUT "YOUR" SECRET LAKE X!!!!!!!!!

Get a clue. Thanks for helping over crowding the already overhunted Rice Lake accesses though...

It ain't usually the locals blabbing on the internet.....

man i need to make that my signature. that quote says it all!

Just talked to buddies in NE NoDak, and it is blowing about 50-60, no power, and snow/sleet/rain, from NW. About 30 degrees and miserable. They said you can't even open the car window on N or W side without your face getting cut up from the ice/sleet. smile

Talked to another buddy in WC MN and he said the lake by him is filling up with more ducks every day, and he said what he thinks is probably a couple hundred just today alone, and this is on a small lake.

This could be a great weekend for duck hunters! The wind blew over my deer stand, so after duckin Sat morn, we are going to move my stand to a nicer spot smile

Good luck everybody, shoot those ducks!

Scouter, I like your style. You hit the nail on the head, that is why we call 'em 612ers.

I just got this e-mail from another website:

November 7, 2008 -- An artic blast moved out of Canada and rolled across the Dakotas yesterday, igniting a major migration event. Blizzard conditions and accumulating snow is chasing birds out of the Prairie Pothole Region and waterfowl are expected to push as far south as Nebraska, Kansas

and into Western Missouri over the next few days. As the storm system

moves into the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys, early migrating waterfowl such as teal, wood ducks and gadwall, are expected to push further south and be replaced by mallards in the northern portions of the Mississippi Flyway.

Agreed... I hunted in that blizzard this morning. Saw two groups of 5 or 6 teal and the rest was nothing but mallards and honkers. Also noticed two flocks of a couple hundred bigger ducks sky high and heading south frown

I hunted this morning with another guy and did'nt see any new birds. All Mallards and Pintails, oh and a flock of bluebills buzzed. Ended up with a two man limit on mallards and geese with a bonus bluebill, two pintails.

Well there aren't any on Bald Eagle or Birch Lake. There had been a small number of coots around for the past couple of weeks but they're gone, as are a good percentage of the geese and mallards. In the past there were at least a few northern ducks stopping by but my guess is that they're all headed for Kansas City right now.

Mississippi Flyway was DEAD today! Got a few shots at some ringers. Saw a couple flocks of mallards, and NOTHING flying high. Winds were out of the S/SW. Waited all morning for it to switch to the North.....never did. Very few mallards in the area. Hunted until 1 o-clock and didn't even shoot at a mallard. All mallards seemed to be locals. No influx of birds in the Missippi flyway near the cities today. Still to warm in this area. We need a real cold snap to start freezing the potholes. I think they are still in Canada or thinking very hard about leaving, as this recent cold front came from the Rockies and not Canada. It is much colder in ND right now than Canada. And they received much more snow (9 in. in Bismark, But only a trace in Winnipeg). Maybe with these next few days expected to be highs in the 20s and 30 might finally freeze up the potholes and force the ducks to the river.

Also chased up a few deer while jumping some ponds along the river. Should be a good deer opener in the area. While jumping 3 diff. ponds, only saw about 20 mallards total. And 15 of them were on the same pond, but we were unable to reach them (They outsmarted us again). Seemed like their was no migration happening at all in the area. Heard very few shots.

Didn't see squat for new birds in the southwest corner either. Shot a mallard drake that came in with a small flock of seven mallards. That was all I saw. Talked to two other guys who were in two different places 40 miles apart and they didn't see anything either.

nothin round here either hunted a big lake to the east thursday night shot one blue bill went out yesterday and seen a bunch of GWT and shot three of them and that was west of kato

I never got the boat wet this morning I went west and at 4:00 a.m I was like boat four or five so I left and headed back towards faribo area

missed my turn to get back home, when I tried to do a u-turn in the center of the road at a field approach I ended up sliding in the ditch at 4:30 am and sat in the mud till about 7:00 am . (THE MORE i TRIED THE WORSE IT GOT)

out of about 75 people that passed over the course of the morning 1 stopped to help at that point I already had a person coming to help,and sent them on thier way.

only to find out my help had no tow strap or chain either so I was still S.O.L

tried to call a tow truck!... no answer

tried another ... left a message and waited for a response! guess what ? didn't get one !

after a few more attempts I finally got out ! detroyed the inside of my truck from all the mud but I was happy to get out.

I spent the rest of the morning scouting.

I seen a lot of buffies today by that I mean hundreds, none in the air but lots on the water as well as a few bills mixed in.

spent the afternoon in the water and seen lots of geeses as well as a few snows

seems there are a few more mallards in the area but they did not decoy real well

(Just a tip!!!! don't ever take off your hat and itch your head without looking over the decoy's first) cry

seen a couple flocks of bills also that did not decoy.

but It was late afternoon so I think they where just migrators looking to roost for the evening ?

TOMMORROW IS A NEW DAY!!!!!!

Lots of goldeneyes flying over my deer stand this morning...got out on the lake this afternoon- mostly buffleheads and goldeneyes in the bays, still no bills on the lake yet. Shot 2 White-Winged Scoter, though! That's a first- poor buggers must have got lost in the snow...

I have heard of it before ! I actually am convinced I seen aa flock of oldsqauw earlier this fall

Yeah, I know a couple of guys who have shot scoter in the area, and I shot an oldsquaw out in west-central mn in '99. They must come off of Superior once in a while...

anyone see any migrating mallards yet???

my dad and i are heading up to the cabin next weekend and hopeing that we're not to late..

We got 3 greenheads out by Litchfield yesterday. All were probably northern birds cause the skin was thick and had a lot of fat compaired to the locals we got 2 weeks ago. It might be to late for an upnorth trip.

very feew mallards around so the big push is still on stand by seen a couple hundred loons ta de so it cant be long maybe the next colbalt blue day will bring em down