• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Albino squirrel

This guy has been stalking me for the last 3 weeks since I first saw him. I would only see him if I left the camera at home.

This is near Lk. of the Isles

47b4db24b3127ccebe469a3352900000002510

47b4db24b3127ccebe468589938d0000003510

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

Good photos. I know of two neighborhoods in Minnetonka and one in Excelsior that have numerous albino squirrels. The Excelsior city park has had them for many years and they go to great lengths to protect them. The first time I saw one there, I thought we should call the newspaper, and all of a sudden there were three of them out there feeding. If you ever see an all black one, that I would like to see a picture of. They're supposed to be much rarer than albinos.

I have seen these all over the Uptown area when working. And I have seen a couple all black, they look like a mink. I will try to get a picture of the black.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

I have seen them! About three weeks ago I was awed at the sight of the albino one. You say the black ones are rare? Get this...between my three neighbors, we now have the albino one and have had a black one for a few years now. Even better, the black one has half a tail, and he still climbs those electrical wires every day. I always tell my friends about the black on and he almost always shows off in their presence. I love them. I do hate the little brown one that chewed up a ton of wires under the hood of my Pathfinder this year. Anyone want to lend me a pellet gun?

Catch 'em fast!

i live in Winona.... black ones all over the place!!!

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

Great pics! I'd love to see an albino squirrel in person. I'd love to see them rumored black squirrels in person also! All I see is the classic brown and grey.

At least I have seen the White Deer that are on the ANL property in Illinois. smile.gifsmile.gif

The albinos were fairly common in SW Mpls. when I was growing up. But they're always interesting to see. How about flying squirrels? I've only seen one over the years in Mpls. It was on my tree one night about 2 a.m. I suppose they are common, but being nocturnal most people don't see them. Vern

Lost: my brother has hit not one, but two of those Albino deer out at ANL. Dang things are like rats.
I hear some accentric guy released them. They are Asiatic.

Some of those are not albino. They are just white. Farmington is full of them. They do look a little funny running up a tree.

Our neighborhood in East Bloomington has plenty of the white and I have seen the black ones, although much more scarce.

They all taste the same. Them is some good vittles.

The Spook

Last weekend in Ill. I caught an albino catfish-about 2 lbs - Ugly looking thing, not nearly as cool as the albino squirrel or deer. Had to bring it home to get a picture. Then a neighbor tells me there are several in that small lake. Had lots of leeches in its belly-hope that "taste" is out of the filets by the time I eat it.
Gene

I know of a guy who shot an albino pheasant many years ago, even has him stuffed.

I stayed @ Campbell's Resort on Lac La Croix in Ontario last summer - they had 2 taxidermied albino beaver - 1 in the office & 1 in the dining hall. Not just old & faded but albino. Bizarre.
There is an albino squirrel hanging around the wildlife viewing room @ Richardson Nature Center at Hyland Lake Park Reserve in Bloomington if you'd want to see one in the wild close-up.

We have an albino squirrel that frequents the bird feeder in the back yard. Have not seen him for a few weeks though so hope he is okay. There are some albino deer at the campground by Mille acs as well.

We've got an all black one at our place in Bemibji, hangs around quite a bit. It's pretty funny when he tries to hid in a tree, he doesn't know he sticks out like a sore thumb...I'll try to get a photo to post

i had an uncle who one time shot an albino porcupine he brung it home and showed my grandpa.(i'm an ojibway indian by the way)my grandpa told him this was not a good thing he said that this thing was put on the earth for a special reason probley unknown to man maybe just to the animals. my unlce did'nt care and said it made a good trophy anyway. my grampa warned of the bad luck that would follow. The next year one of my uncles twin daughters died. The following year his youngest son lost an eye.my uncle himshelf just fell over one day hit his head and died doctors said it was an accident. The family thought the bad luck died with him but not so his oldest son was crossing the train tracks one day and was hit by a train.He lived but still swears he never seen that train coming.True story this porcupine can be seen in the becker county historical society in detroit lakes mn. The curator ask my family for permisson to tell the story but know one will too afraid of the curse.