• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trapping - What did you catch today. 2008

leechmann

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• protrapper

• walleyes12

• GOOSEBILLY

• rattlem'up

32 is the most we ever did, hide opener 2 years ago. Doing it with dogs is the only way to go. Thats hunting sun down to sun up though, and them nights can be far and few between. Some nights everything just goes right.

Used to do that to once in awhile myself coon hunt behind dogs...had a friend that ran of all things, Norweigan Elk hounds....little huskie squat dogs with a curled tail? They were some kind of Norweigan dogs, they weren't hounds in the true sense.

They were the trailers and tree'ers...really good at what he trained em to do....he had a little redbone that was the kill dog...that little sucker would grab and kill wounded coon that looked to be as big as he was! Grab em by the neck and shake em like they were little tube socks!

That used to be fun! At the time, I could put up with the late night hustle, long hunts, bloody shins, being whipped in the head by branches, (Once I had about a 7 pound ear of dried field corn whip back and hit me across the bridge of the nose...didn't put me down but I bled for a good 10 minutes! I thought a Sasquash had punched me from the dark corn row!) falling down chasing the dogs and all the rest that goes with it, mud, dirt, water, it was all good.

This pic might bring back a memory or two then!

coon7.jpg

This must be the good old days of coon hunting? Has there ever been more than the last ten years or so? Cool pic. It was not a good night to be that coon.

I'll try again . Coon hunting must be as good now as it ever was. Seems to be a very big population over the last ten years or so.

It is good but theres man things that play a factor in it. You have to spend a lot of time getting permission to hunt spots, I got 1500 acres or so worth of private property I can hunt, But i have countless hours and gas spent in driving around getting them spots.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pheasant hunting yesterday and my setters pointed a coyote. I shot him in the neck at 20yds with #4 birdshot and dropped him instantly. close to 50 lbs. I was only able to get a cell phone pic. The landowner is going to skin it.

DSC00914-1.jpg

I have been thinking of getting into trapping now after looking at the pics I really want to get out. I think I might have to go get me some trap for next year.

Was at my sisters in st. paul today and there was a possum on the compost pile today....wonder if the coons are going to get active in this warm weather?

Seen there where a couple sets of coon tracks on the river. The must of moved a little last nite.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.