• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bassNspear

****2008 World Series Tread****

Windy City

Here are the FAQ's direct from mlb.com:

What would have happened if the Rays had not scored in the top of the sixth?

Selig stated after the suspension of play Monday that he is ardently opposed to shortened World Series games and said he would have put the game into a rain delay that would have continued until he felt it was appropriate to resume play.

"We would have gone into a rain delay, and that rain delay would have lasted until, weather permitting, we could resume the game," Selig said. "The game would have been in a rain delay until weather conditions allowed us to continue. And that might have been 24 hours, or 48 hours, or who knows?"

What if the game had been halted prior to 4 1/2 complete innings?

By rule, it would have started over.

"If the game hadn't gone five innings, it would have been wiped out and started from scratch," DuPuy said.

Why aren't they just starting the game over, rather than restarting where the game was left off?

Selig cited Rule 4.12a, Section 6, in explaining the suspension of Game 5. According to the rule, "a game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date" for a number of reasons, with Section 6 specifying "a regulation game that is called with the score tied."

In this scenario, the rule (4.12c) for suspended games is enacted: "A suspended game shall be resumed at the exact point of suspension of the original game. The completion of a suspended game is a continuation of the original game. The lineup and batting order of both teams shall be exactly the same as the lineup and batting order at the moment of suspension, subject to the rules governing substitution. Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup."

Prior to the introduction of this rule following the 2006 season, the suspended game would have reverted back to the beginning of the inning, with the Phillies leading, 2-1, since Philadelphia did not bat in the bottom of the inning. But that is no longer the case, and therefore, Game 5 will resume with the score tied at 2.

How might this affect each team's rotation?

If the games in St. Petersburg are necessary and pushed back, it would change managerial options for Joe Maddon and Charlie Manuel. Game 6 -- if played on Thursday or Friday night -- would still be a Game 2 rematch of right-handers Brett Myers for the Phillies and James Shields for the Rays.

But there would be different options for Game 7 if it were played on Friday or Saturday night. Either team could use its Game 4 starter in Game 7, rather than its Game 3 starter. Game 4 took place on Sunday, so a Game 7 on Friday would provide four full days of rest for Joe Blanton and Andy Sonnanstine. At the very least, Blanton and Sonnanstine would be available to pitch in relief as much as needed in that game. Moreover, Hamels becomes an option for the Phillies to at least get some work on three days' rest.

If it stayed to form, it would be Jamie Moyer for the Phillies and Matt Garza for the Rays in the climactic last game.

Has this ever happened before?

No. No game in World Series history has ever been suspended or shortened by weather or for any other reason.

zamboni

Zamboni, they had to continue playing it when Philly was up by 1 run. Can you imagine if the umpires would have called the game in the 5th inning for a rain delay and then cancel the final game of the World Series with Philly winning 2-1 in 5 innings? The umpires were hoping Tampa would score to tie, so they could suspend the game otherwise there would have been a lot of upset people by declaring Philly the winner of the Series on a rain shortened 5 inning game.

I understand all that wink throw the tarp on and finish it today, I never said end the game, I meant stop it before someone gets hurt.

UdeLakeTom

Money gentlemen.....at least one more evening of baseball..for the Ad people, this amounts to possibly 3 more nites of advertising....more people will watch at prime time then if the game had continued under a rain delay.

mnwild

now have to wait until Thursday for the game to be played.

Mudcutter

just read on MLB.com that the game or last 3.5 innings of Game 5 is still on for tonight. any other news??

Go Rays.

mnwild

thats correct tonight. No day off game 6 will be tomorrow.

bassNspear

Phillies are champs!

matthothand

The fork has been stuck.

CrazyLabs

WAY TO GO PHILLIES!!

The drought is over!

bassNspear

Welcome to FM Crazy

How much do you all think that car was worth that the pitcher got for MVP!

Quackaddict9

What kinda car was it? And who was the MVP? I missed the rest of the game last night.

Cole Hamels?

IFallsRon

Why didn't the Rays come out with their best rested starter? The bully guys didn't look too confident, especially the ex Twin.

Gary Crichton

The Rays looked like they didn't want to be there. They were wishing they were in Tampa. They were pretty well bundled up. I wear less when I ice fish. J.C. gets the win. Isn't that # 2 wins and a o.oo ERA for him. At times I thought I was watching an all star twins get together.

Hamels was the MVP.

How long till spring training.

G.C.

zamboni

Why did Maddon hit for Baldelli in the 9th?? He had a HR his previous AB. I said Phils in 6, I was close wink

Quack- Cole Hamels was the MVP, and he won a Chevy Camaro

Gary Crichton

He has some illness correct and gets tired quickly. I don't know how that ball went out as it looked like he was jammed a little bit on the homerun swing.

G.C.

zamboni

I agree Gary, it looked like it was right off the fists. I was wondering about the illness factor as well, but still, how do you pinch hit for someone that hit a dinger?

Gary Crichton

I know what you mean Z. He must have gotten tired. They also pinch hit for Bartlett and he stroked his last hit solidly to left.

G.C.