• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

****2008 World Series Tread****

bassNspear

Well, the Strib had it on their front page in the sports section, ESPN discussed it today, TBS and Fox have both mentioned it during the play-offs, and I said it MONTHS AGO- the trade for Delmon Young is really starting to look like a bust for the Twins. When I said it MONTHS AGO half of you said I was crazy, NOPE- I was dead on. Plus I predicted the WS teams before the play-offs started, I am a genius when it comes to baseball laughwink

what if garza has to have arm surgery next year?

what if delmon hits 300 and 30 hrs next year?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• bassNspear

• Windy City

• Gary Crichton

Quote:
Garza- B+

Bartlett- A-

Young- C-. Not a bust??

are you serious with those grades? no wonder you think it was a bust.

You know what they say about the word "if".

Ditka said, "If ands and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas"

Somebody else once told me that, "If my grandma had a Johnson, she would be my grandpa"!

Interesting word, "if". LOL

Windy

what if garza has to have arm surgery next year?

what if delmon hits 300 and 30 hrs next year?

You really think Delmon will hit 30 HRs??? It will never happen, I give him better odds of throwing his bat at another umpire than I do him ever hitting over 20 in a season.

And another thing- his C- includes his complete lack of defense, I have never seen anyone look as clueless as he does in the OF, sorry, but it is the truth.

Zamboni, I like your grades, but Delmon could be better next year, so hopefully that grade will go up.

G.C.

Zamboni, One year will make alot of diffence so give Delmon a chance - his fielding and hitting will improve. Also give the National League a chance to see Garza a couple of times per team and see how well he does... Mark Prior was also a good pitcher for 1 year and look at him now.

None of you are taking Navarro into the equation for how well Garza has been pitching. He wasn't pitching very good before navarro started yelling at him on the mound in a game in june I think. Since then he has been much better. They said on baseball tonight a couple weeks ago that his era was a run or a run and a half better since that game than it was before that game. I have liked the trade since the beginning and still do because garza is a headcase who resembles another young former twins pitcher who had great stuff but was a headcase, Kyle Lohse.

Zamboni, I like your grades, but Delmon could be better next year, so hopefully that grade will go up.

G.C.

30 HRs is a heck of a reach, Morneaus done it only twice, and he is NO Morneau!!

I don't 30 is reachable either, but 20 is not a reach, as he should improve a little bit.

1-1 now, come on Rays have to win a couple on the road

G.C.

Phillies need to learn how to hit when runners are in scoring position. Howards finally hitting, but Rollins still isn't. I honestly think the Rays winning the WS would be a great thing, but I still think Phils in 6. But either way would be fine by me, as long as it isn't the Yanks, Red Sox or White Sox involved, I am a happy camper

Zamboni,

I am thinking along the same lines as you are with the exception of the third team in your final sentence! LOL

My third team starts with a C and ends with an S if you are so inclined to hazzard a guess! LOL

Windy

Windy, they are hardly ever involved- if you know what I mean!! Too bad I really don't mind them, but it's not the end of my world if they never win another WS in my lifetime.

Zamboni,

You said "another one" in your lifetime. Am I to assume that you are 100 years old? LOL You do know which team I am speaking of, right?

Windy

Garza hanging a curve thigh high to Howard, bad mistake!! I am sure you guys noticed in the first game, curve balls in the dirt to him are his nemesis- he can't hit them!!

I know, BTW, Windy laugh Like I said, if they do or don't win another one, I won't lose any sleep over it either way wink

this is a great baseball game. There is alot of things that are on the line for Game three, being they dont have a day off the rest of the series.

We all know about that trade, Delmon Young trade- but now, thanks to Joe Buck, I think the entire country has it tattooed on their brains. I think he mentions it 200 times a night, and has since the Rays first playoff series. Unreal. Buck and McCarver are terrible. Never heard announcers go over and over stuff that happened 2 seconds ago, thankfully if I ever go to the bathroom and miss something, I will get to hear about it for 5 minutes.

i hope that TB can come back with a win tonight. It was a good game last night, but they really need to win this game tonight.

so now everything gets pushed back a day becuase of the rain delay to tommorrow?

Yes.... if they can finish this game tomorrow.

I guess I don't see where MLB did anything wrong so far in the series. The weather report said a tenth of inch of rain after Midnight.....oooops.

Go Tampa!... I'd like to watch a game or 2 more!

Zamboni, they had to continue playing it when Philly was up by 1 run. Can you imagine if the umpires would have called the game in the 5th inning for a rain delay and then cancel the final game of the World Series with Philly winning 2-1 in 5 innings? The umpires were hoping Tampa would score to tie, so they could suspend the game otherwise there would have been a lot of upset people by declaring Philly the winner of the Series on a rain shortened 5 inning game.

They changed the rule Tampa was in no jeopardy of losing the World series in a rain shortened game. Selig said they would have waited until Thanksgiving if necessary to finish the game.

i think they waited to long to call the game last night. i think it should have been called earlier in the game.

I don't think you are correct Pierbridge. Even today's paper said Major League Baseball caught a huge break when Tampa scored their 2nd run. They also quoted Trevor Miller the Tampa pitcher saying they need to make a rule change at the winter meetings saying a World Series Game can not be called before 9 innings are played.

What if the Phillies had been leading 2-1 after 5½ innings, and the game was stopped because of the rain. Under baseball rules, wouldn’t the Phillies have won the game and thus the World Series?

That’s what nearly everyone thought. And that’s what it says in Rule 4.10 ©: “If a game is called, it is a regulation game:

(1) If five innings have been completed.

(2) If the home team has scored more runs in four or four and a fraction half-innings than the visiting team has scored in five completed half-innings;

(3) If the home team scores one or more runs in its half of the fifth inning to tie the score.”

But in his postgame media conference, Selig said that he made a judgment call before the game began, and informed officials of both teams, that he would not allow a rain-shortened game to take place in the World Series, no matter how long it meant waiting.

“I have to use my judgment. It’s not a way to end the World Series,” Selig said.

The World Series won't resume until Wednesday night at the earliest.

Thanks for clarifying it mnwild, but even as a commissioner I am surprised he would be able to pull that off without a MLB vote on it. Selig is from Milwaukee and he used to own the Brewers, can you imagine if the Brewers were involved in this game and Selig made a personal ruling that could have affected the outcome of the game what type of an uproar that would have caused? He called the All Star game a tie a couple of years ago and that caused a big uproar and that was just an All Star game.

I still think it was a rule change for the playoffs... and it doesn't really matter you are not going to have the deciding game of the World Series not played until completion. That's a regular season type of rule.

I believe tonights game was canceled.