• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

There is a short tail, and the "long tail" you think you see is the dark bottom of one of the back legs. And I think it does walk like a cat. I'd say Bobcat.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrklean

• Dave S

• pinkfloyd4ever

• fishinmajishin

I have had bobcats walk within a few feet of the trees I have been perched in while bow-hunting the last 3 weekend in Southern Iowa, and the video does not appear to be a bobcat, IMO.

there's a tail.......dark tipped one at that......it's not a bobcat as there's a "long " tail.....I see it.....it's there....it certainly could be a fox also but has the "gait" of a slow moving cat....just what "I" see of course though "my" eyes grin

lol..if anyone thinks that video is anything other then a cat they should go get their vision checked.

that cats tail almost touches the ground....u can see the black patches of grass in the background...when the cat walks past that you can see it's black tip of it's tail is below that patch...if you hit replay and just stare at the tail you can see that its tail moves the grass after the cat already went past.

Its prolly a little late now but did the poster of the video see any tracks on the trail. According to the Michigan DNR a cougar track is about 3.5"tall whereas a bobcat is about 1.5" tall

Cougar_coyote_bobcat_Tracks3.gif

I can't believe this has gone on this long debating whether or not the cat in the video is a cougar or a bobcat.

After reviewing the footage and pausing the video at various points, I could see that the tail that so many claim almost touches the ground is false. The black line that shows up that might appear to be a tail is actually the back of the leg of the cat and might be exaggerated by the camera quality.

The tail in fact is a stub. Or in other words, a Bobcat.

I can't believe that I actually got sucked in to this stupid disagreement and watched the video. Oh, yeah, I think that is one big cat and not a bobcat either. Seems to be a lot of sightings this year, maybe they are making a comeback. An email about cougers in the area just circulated to the staff at my school.

watching the video 20 times and im still undecided as to what I see.... what is the height of the grass in the picture? just my opinion

I know for certain it is a bobcat in that video, I spend all winter long running them with hounds, have also seen many trail cam pictures of them with guys also thinking they were lions. Not saying they ain't in MN I my self have seen one and have talked to a few dnr officials about lions and they say they are here. I have a friend in the black hills of SD who used to tree lions with his hounds for the Fish and Wildlife service out there so they could radio collar them. The black hills has a huge population of them and that is believed to be were most of the lions in MN have come from because they have to find new turf of their own.

There definately are cougars in MN, but the one in the vid is a bobcat. That clip of what is showing to be a long tail is actually it's right hind foot. The clip just before that shows a short tail. I also see patterns like a bobcat. Walks like a bobcat. Cougars have a slower pace walk. I'm 100% sure it's a bobby.

May not be as far fetched as one might think.... whistle

Hunters in NE Minnesota spot 2 cougars

Updated: 11/11/2008 11:15:19 AM

CULVER, Minn. -- Two deer hunters waited a few minutes to track a doe they shot northwest of Duluth -- only to find two hungry cougars tearing away at their kill.

It took Ted Kline and Ron Smith only about 30 minutes to reach their doe on Monday. In that time, Kline estimates the cougars ate about a third of the usable meat.

Kline says the animals had long tails and were three feet long. He says they weren't wolves, dogs or bobcats.

Officials say cougar sightings are fairly common across northern Minnesota. The Department of Natural Resources says seeing two cougars in one spot is rare.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

All Material Copyright 2008 KARE-11. All Rights Reserved.

I just got one of the pics. For some reason it wont let me "save target as." If someone knows a way around this I'll post the pic. Or I can e-mail it to you and you can post it.

I thought there were only bigfoot and moose in NE MN?

Darn, you beat me to the big foot thing. grin There is an Email going around at work showing three mountian lions eating a deer some were up by Greenbush I think. They sure are impressive animals.Kind of makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up a little to think theres something like that out there. I'm sure they are scared of humans. I hope there scared of us.... eek

Here is a bobcat from last night. I do get rabbits on that camera too so maybe he was after a rabbit snack.

---------------------------------------

Here is a cougar from my trail cam.

---------------------------------------

I didn't see where anyone considered that the animal in the video may be a coyote in summer coat so I'll throw that out there. It seems similar to the one in this pic:

http://tinyurl.com/6xjl2r

At first viewing I thought it must be a cougar then after playing the video multiple times and hitting pause to catch it in different frames it really started to seem like I was seeing a dog-like face/muzzle. Also it seems there may be a white/light area of fur at the base of the tail which cougars don't seem to have. And coyotes can have a partially darker tail and they do normally walk with their tail held low.

I love it, just got an email and his story claims those cougar pics are from Buffalo Co WI - not only that but the pics are from a co-workers relative! Those 3 cougars sure get around.

There's been several around the Le Sueur/Belle Plaine area. I saw one just off HWY 169 between Belle Plaine and Jordan back in '98.

I don't think I'd be too concerned about it either as long as I wasn't in full camo hunting turkeys. If the cat can identify you as a human, it will more than likely run the other way.

About 6 or 7 years ago or so I was deer hunting some private land just south and east of Belle Plaine when another hunter in our party and I heard what we figured could only be a sound made by a large cat. The sound filled the woods and made the hair on the back of your neck stand up!

that was the general vicinity this cat was coming from, but closer to 169. There are also bobcat in the area as well. No one believed me until a bow hunter had one walk under his stand on some property that we hunted later in the season.

Cooter, I got the same pics at school a week or two ago just before gun season, its the anti's trying to scare us out of the woods, HaHa. My email said that they were from Arcadia Wisconsin. They definitely are very popular cats on the internet.

I think cougar too, I got a buddy who lives just east of Gutvaldt's corner, I'll have to ask him if he has heard anything.

So I talked to him on thursday, now I have never had any reason to doubt him, but he is getting his info from other farmers in the area. What he was told is that the DNR released 3 cougars in the area to try and reduce the deer population. He hasn't seen them, but has talked to others who have seen them and the remains of their livestock, etc.

None of that makes any sense to me, but that was the update I got