• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

who makes the brightest L.E.D. lights

robert1965

Question

I have the old clam rope lights. they are great for not using much power. but not so bright, what are my options.

• Answers 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• wishing for walleyes

• WinterHaven

• LMITOUT

• cRaPpiEMaN8265

Is a store like Radio Shack the best place to get the switches and such to wire up these lights. I stopped at mendards the other day, its an older mendards and didnt find much at all.

The wire on these lights is so very thin... have you guys had any luck crinping on a female spade connector? The smallest ones I could find will slip off right away. maybe add a little extra wire inside the crimp? or solder?

I got mine at Fleet Farm and Ace Hardware... Fleet Farm was cheaper but I did get a flick switch like they use on the cord of a lamp for my overhead lights... for the lights underneath the platform I made I used a lighted rocker switch...

Ryan

The wire on these lights is so very thin... have you guys had any luck crinping on a female spade connector? The smallest ones I could find will slip off right away. maybe add a little extra wire inside the crimp? or solder?

For this I got some speaker wire in a larger diameter wire and soldered the two wired together then wrapped it up with some electrical tape.. Works perfect!

Ryan

I am looking to place an order for my fish trap pro. Is the 48cm plenty of light for my Fish Trap Pro or do I need 2 of the 48cm?

well they way i think about it you can always use more lights. you probably could get by with one but why not have two.. I would order them asap because they are way on back order i orderd mine about 2 weeks ago and they havent even been shipped yet, still being manufactured.

The 48 cm will be plenty. I have a 48 in my scout and it is extremely bright! I would also highly recommend some reflectix insulation above you to obviously, reflect the light now for a brighter shack and it is great for keeping in the warmth!

Ryan

I'd go with 2 of the 48cm strips. 1 will probably be effective, but 2 will be sure to keep you lit up nicely. I have 2 in my Otter Lodge and it's perfect.

With 2 sets of the 48cm lights in your pro, you are going to need to were sunglasses at all times with them lights on cool.

Get 2. try them both out, if you feel it is to bright, I'm sure you have a buddy that would buy them...plus it is easier to just make 1 order and get 2 then to make 2 sepperate orders.

Also, add reflectix, you will be amazed at how well it insulates the house and reflect the light.

Has anyone hooked up a dimmer switch to these?

The LED's are designed to run off a 12volt current source. Dimming with a standard rheostat will drop the voltage below the lights required operation voltage. You would need get a current control dimmer that maintains 12 volts.

I would only recommend one light, but order more as others have said. I had one in an Otter Den as that was plenty bright. If you are one of those people who is unaffected by staring directly into the sun for extended periods of time, go with two smirk

I would only recommend one light, but order more as others have said. I had one in an Otter Den as that was plenty bright. If you are one of those people who is unaffected by staring directly into the sun for extended periods of time, go with two smirk

I have to agree with Reynolds on this one. I like sitting in my Otter and fishing when it dark and the only light is the glow from my Buddy heater and my Marcum flasher. Now that's the high life grin

Thanks for all of the responses, it looks like I am going to order 1 48cm since I really don't like bright light. As long as I can see when tying a lure or bait on my line then that would be plenty of light for me.

Where do I purchase this reflectix that everyone is talking about? Also does anyone have any pics with their lights and the reflectix?

Does anyone here have a pic of the just one 48cm LED strip lit up? The 96cm strip pic showing the bobbers is really helpful, looking for a similar pic with the 48cm strip. Thanks in advance!

Winterhaven,

The reflectix is a ductwork insulation product that is basically small cell bubble wrap laminated between two layers of silver mylar. The heating/AC section of any home improvement store should have it. I got mine at FF.

"Where do I purchase this reflectix that everyone is talking about? Also does anyone have any pics with their lights and the reflectix?"

I got mine at Lowes in the 24" wide version so it fits in my scout.. I have lots of extra so I am going to duct tape a few pieces together and put it up in my voyager also. Cheap stuff really I think mine was around 24 bucks?

Is the "Deluxe LED Lighting System Clam" that is available an updated version of their old rope lights or one in the same? If not, has anyone tried the latest version?

Sorry, maybe I didn't ask the question clearly. I understand that there's a pic of the 48cm LED strip earlier in the thread, but I was hoping someone has a pic of what the "floor" of the shelter would look like with just 1 48cm strip lit up - that's why I referenced the pic with the bobbers and asked for one just like it. Thanks again.

hanronson,

I've asked the same question.

I don't think anyone on here is willing to try them with the bad reviews they got when they first came out.. Too bad, I liked the idea.

I just ordered 2-48cm and 2-24cm strips and they are on back order,( they have to make more) so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get mine. I don't think I'll need all the light but I have some ideas about wiring the strings up with a rotary switch so I am only using as much or as little light as I need.

I got the 48" roll of reflectix at menards. One strip right down the middle of the otter and still have some left.

WW

Here`s a picture of the floor with lights.I have a 24cm strip on my back pole and a 24 cm strip on my front pole.I have a 96cm strip on my center pole.I have them hooked up on separate toggle switches.This gives me light in the sled when i need it.I beleive this picture of the floor was with just the 96 cm lights on.

Dans166.jpg

Wishin, dude your bobbers down!!!!! smile Just getting some practice in. laugh

Nice shack!!!

Can't wait to install the lights and computer fan in mine.

WW

Just put in my order for the 96cm strip. Bought one for me and another for a buddy. Can't wait. First mod for my house. Wifes gonna kill me.