• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Iceman12

Using plastics for panfish

Iceman12

I was reading in a post a while back about using plastics for panfish and had some questions about. When you use plastics for panfish do you most of the time put it under a float or bobber? Is this to keep your presentation vertical? Do you cast it out slowly retrieving it? Thanks for the help.

[Note from Rick: Here is the link to that post: http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum50/HTML/000334.html ]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-22-2004).]

CrappieMagnet

Iceman..

Yes to most of your answers.i retrieve with a pop.pause,reel a little,pause,pop,reel a little.I vary the retrieve and let the fish tell me what they prefer.I also use the smallest slip bobber i can find.I always see people using these behemouth bobbers and i wonder if they ever catch anything...Just kidding.
In the springtime i go small everything.

I hope this helps...?

CM

Tofishem

Try using a 1/32 oz jig and a small safety pin spinner. Throw out and count down to say 4 or 5 and start retrieving slow...pause... retrieve usually a crappie or gill will hit it on the pause drop. Don't try this method until the water temps are above say 50-55. That's when panfish are more apt to chase a spinner and plastic.
Bruce

[This message has been edited by Tofishem (edited 04-22-2004).]

CrappieJohn

I use the float to keep everything going back to the same depth once fish are found. At this time of year you can find the fish being very "depth specific". Also, I tend to fish my bait higher up than the larger fish appear to be in the water column....if I mark or catch a big fish at eight feet, I'll fish them at six or seven. The smaller fish are still targeting activity above that point. If there is a tangle down where the fish are, they will have to come up to hit and are less likely to go back and get wrapped up in the wood.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 04-22-2004).]

CrappieMagnet

Yeah..
Don't be afraid to change the color of your plastics often.Sometimes it's just the ticket.Any plastics that immitate either minnows or insects are what i throw at them.

Hope this helps..

CM

Matt Johnson

The bobber/float also allows you to "swim" the jig a distance from the boat/shore. You can cast out 20 yards and swim/work the jig back at a certain depth (like CrappieTom mentioned) and you can keep it in the strike zone constantly.

I also like to throw in a few pulls as I retrieve the bobber-rigged plastic, that causes the jig to glide through the water on a slow fall, drives those crappies crazy!

Plastics are a very versatile tool to have, and can be fished in many different situations and for many different species. A day on the water chasing crappies without plastics is like a day on the water without a rod wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 04-22-2004).]

Rick

We are also catching plenty of nice sunfish on plastics only. While you can't see it very well, the female bluegill pictured below came on a Junebug/Chartreuse Culprit Paddletail and 1/32 oz chartruese jighead.

Caught today 04/22/04
rick-paddletailbluegill042204zumbro.jpg

PS. I was using a CrappieTom Signature Series Panfish Rod - 6' UL (St Croix Avid blank). If you talk to him real nice he might make one of these HIGHLY functionally pieces of art for you.

The answer is Yes, it does make a differance over what I was using.

Here is his CrappieTom's e-mail address.
[email protected]

Tom gets a little tied up with his fishing, so get your order in before everyone else jams him smile.gif

CrappieMagnet

Nice Gill Rick..also check your email?

i sent you somethings..

CM

Iceman12

Thanks for the replies. Any other tips from you guys for fishing panfish with plastics? CM and Crappie Tom, I have been reading your stuff all spring and I find it very informational. Thanks for all your insight.

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 04-22-2004).]

CrappieMagnet

Rick..
Sent 4 Emails. 3 on 1 email address
1 on a different email address.

Let me know.

Thanks.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-23-2004).]

muskieboy46

When i fish plastics i use a 1 1/2 inch tube with a small hook. The sunfish in the lake i fish are small so i usually rip part of the tail off the tubes. I also dont use a bobber. I put a weight 2 feet up and then bring it in bouncing off the bottom. Have caught sunfish, crappie, bass, and walleye on the same tube.

muskieboy

Caught a nice mixed bag today on Tonka using a small Mister Twister. We hammered them for awhile with plastics, then it died. Tried minnows, bam. We tried both on and off all day with good results at times from both.

Rick

Hey CM,
I didn't see anything from you in my e-mail????

That was a nice gill. I didn't have a camera for the nice bull gill taken a couple days earlier. That was bigger still. Caught that one on a 1/64 oz Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso (plastic and jig only).

Now THAT was a nice gill. smile.gif