• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

smallies in the metro

I have also heard the Mississippi has exceptional Small Mouth fishing. More up around Elk River.

The big Miss is the best by far in the metro. Tons of smallies and lots of big ones. Anywhere in the metro is good, but just starting on the north side of minneapolis and going north is the best.
><>Deadeye

Tonka is great for smallies from the end of May until the first part of June. Many days you can catch 20 plus fish with most going between 15-19 inches. Stick to the lower lake and the clear bays, Browns, Robinsons, Carsons, Wayzata.

As it's been mentioned in the last few posts, the best smallie water around the metro is on the mississippi river. Some will argue that the north 'sippi (coon rapids to st. cloud - and even farther) are the best smallie waters in America. The only downside is that these sections are mostly shallow and can cause majors hassles for boats of any size - unless you have a jet boat. Also the 'sippi at pool 4 down by wabasha/lake city/lake pepin is another great place to look for smallmouth and is just a 1.5-2 hours away from the metro depending on where you live. There are some real footballs down there!

On opener I'll probably be wading the shores of elk river, otsego (sp?), or monti! I need to thumb a smallie soon!

Hey Big Mike, North of the CR dam up through Anoka is deap, the current is slow, and it's under pressured making it perfect. The bad part about pool 4 south is that it gets hammered by Pros until june and it may be considered a good area but it can be a tough-tough bite.

The rum is another decent river to fish, but monticello has some of the best smallie fishing i have had in the metro.
Best Fishes
Chris

A lot of people are mentioning above Coon Rapids Dam. How far up? And is there any decent places to access from shore since I'm boatless?

I would have to agree, the Mississippi is a good choice for some smallie action in the Metro. Near Anoka is good, as is the areas slightly south towards the big city.

I would also have to agree with huskie, the Rum is full of smallies, and some nice ones too. During certain periods and when the water level is a little high you can have some excellent days on the Rum.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I don't think anyone has mentioned the St. Croix River. The Taylors Falls area has been very good for me all summer long. If you can get a small boat try above Taylors Falls, its awesome up there. Tubes are a good bet in the rapids. Good luck.
bf

Anyone know of some good smallmouth lakes in the metro, don't wanna drive all they way to mill lacs on bass opener. Thanks for the help

I caught some nice ones by mistake in Buffalo Lake last summer. 2-4 pounders.

Minnetonka and White Bear are your best metro smallie bets.

The craziest Smallmouth fishing I ever had was below the Ford dam, right where Minnehaha Creek dumps in. We started fishing in a drizzle, and it was a driving rain when the fish turned on.

I second buffalo, they have a good largemouth population and i;ve caught a couple nice smallies out of there by the 2 sunken islands. Good walleye lake as well (especially first 3 weeks of the season)

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

The Mississippi is always your best bet. Just north of the Coon Rapids dam is awsome!!
Throw spinnerbaits, 5" grub worms, 1/4oz dwnsized jig and pig crawfish color,and beleive it or not buzz baits are killer.
If you need some nice downsized skirted bass jigs I make the best.
Clay Hulegaard: [email protected].

Looks like all the bases are covered.

For lakes Tonka or WBL.

For Rivers, sippi, croix, rum, and crow but the sippi it probably the closest and a pretty sure bet.

If you decide on the river lettus know what area and we should be able to help you out. Or at least give you a warning where the shallow areas are.

Lost, you can fish at the Coon Rapids dam, above that is all houses until you get to the 169 bridge. There's a park and boat launch in Champin just south from the 169 bridge. The there's a park on the Anoka side to. Take the first right at the stop light after the 169 bridge and follow that down to the park. Lot's of shore to cover. Rum dumps in there to. Good place for a mixed bag.

Are you guys catching these smallies on live bait? I strictly fish artificial and it sounds like all this upper river action is where it is at. I always do well on pepin and on Tonka early. I would love to learn both the sippi and the rum around anoka and farther up. All the info is great help.
Thanks Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Matt,

I don't ever fish live bait...ok I did once with DazeOff last fall and the action was awesome - but I'm an artificial bait guy too. The upper 'sippi and rum are pretty cool. From what I hear, the rum gets too crowded for that little body of water and gets REAL shallow a couple miles up from the anoka ramp. Ebass and I got farther because he had a jon boat with short/shallow shaft motor. The upper 'sippi has some great spots too. Shallow for the most part until you get north of St. Cloud and there are a couple dams up there.

Welcome to the site by the way.

OKOK, i know that tonka has awsome smallie fishing, but i have yet to get into it. I have done a little searching for them in the lower lake, but have only caought 2 in 2 years. What am i doing wrong?? should i be concentrating on the rocks in wayzata, or elsewhere?? I love smallie fishing, but usually end up fishing largemouth and muskies out there since i cant find the smallies!!!

Thanks Mike, I would have trouble with really shallow water b/c I have a 518 Ranger with a 200 on the back. It can run shallow water but it can't set down or take off, it's only when it's up on top that it can go through 18 inches of water. I suppose my duck boat would work good? I have a 12 ft with a 15 hp. It's kinda small though......(if you know what i mean, after fishing out of a 19ft Ranger)I look forward to trying this area of the world for smallies........If anyone wants to catch them on Tonka or Pepin let me know...I have been catching quite a few on Pepin. I am going to pepin tomorrow, friday, and sat, by the looks of it.

------------------
Fish On!

I third the St.Croix, man I have had many many excellent days fishing from the William O'Brien State Park down to the north end of Stillwater. Most of which were anywhere between 15 and 21 1/2 inches... Lots of fun, I have had my best fishing on the Rebel Tiny Wee Crawdad natural color.

I'm really going to try and get down there more this summer...

RU

So far this year I've only caught one smallie on a ring worm in Red Wing. A nice 16" fish.

The only time I use live bait is for eyes and in the late fall for smallies. But if a smallie happens to hit my minner well then so be it smile.gif

There's gotta be nice smallies in Pool2 BigMike. If the sheepies can get that big .. we just need to find them.

Wish, You have got to concentrate on the lower lake. I would start in Browns, Robinsons, and Wayzata. The smallies are tricky on Tonka. Your best bet for catching them is from end of May until the second week in June. The rest of the summer they spend out deep suspended. (good luck catching them out deep..lol) You can catch them on tubes, drop shots, spinnerbaits, etc.. typical smallie stuff. They are there just keep looking. I had atleast three of four days last year with 20 fish. They are good size too. Many fish 15-19 inches. Good luck and stick to the clear water shallow rocks.
Matt

------------------
Fish On!

Oh smallies on Tonka are hard to pin down. Not that my little jon boat goes out there much these days, but my friend had a good day a couple years ago. He found a school out in browns and had them hitting top water super spook. I think they were mixed with some largies to. I wasn't there, but he told me about it or more like bragged about it. I caught some here and there, but I go for the largies on Tonka since they are thick like sunnies.

Matt, are you prefishing for the big KFAN tourney down there next week? I'll be down there on the 1st with Dan Wood helping him prefish for the Metro LETS tourney on the 8th, I'm looking forward to it! I take any opportunity I can to get out on the water in a boat, being stuck on shore really stinks...

Speaking of boats, Ebass, I talked to with the lady and the boat fund is back in business and I might be in action by late fall or spring! Fingers crossed! This winter took a toll on the boat fund frown.gif, but soon and very soon I'll be out there taking you guys out on my boat grin.gif

I also have to go with the Croix.The right time of year and you will hammer them.Like anywhere else you have to know where and when but theres a ton of smallies in that river.Last year we found a group of them in an area walleye fishing and in the half hour I stayed there to fish them I cought eighteen.Two biggest were 18 inches but my buddys dad seen me stopped and got one at 20 1/2 in.But we have days you have to really work to find a half dozen and they seem to run small on them days to?
The bite goes on fire when them may flies
hatch down there.If you get on them flys you will have a blast.

I would have to say the best smallie fishing I have ever had is in the Mississippi in Fridley. The size is on the smaller side but the numbers are there. There are some big fish in there though, I have seen guys get 18-20 inchers. I usually just walk down the shore casting a 3 inch white twister tail and on an average day I get 6-10 smallies, a northern or two and maybe a few crappies or walleyes and thats in only about an hour and a half of fishing.

Mike, Yeah I am prefishing for the KFAN St. Judes Tourney on pool 4 and 5. I have been fishing down there for only about five years so need lots of practice. I am not sure if I have anyone tagging along. If I don't would you want to ride along either Fri, Sat, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur..........as of now those days are looking like the days I will proabably be out. Not sure what your schedule is like?
Matt

------------------
Fish On!