• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone hitting Tonka Today?

Not today but will be on Wayzata Bay before the sun comes up tomorrow.

Later Chris

------------------
"Fishing is an addiction, Anybody got some more?"

sportfishn,

I'll be out there on Wayzata too early AM tomorrow. I'm thinking of working the shallows on the north side of the bay. I usually don't hit Tonka before opener, do you have any last minute advice? Will this cold snap change them a bit??

Thanks-good luck

My advise for early Spring Crappies is hone in on dirty water, which warms up fast. Wayzata bay is probably not your best choice for spring Crappies. I'm not by any means an expert on Tonka but this rule of thumb applies for most other early spring Crappie haunts. Good luck guys!

Looks like some pretty crappy weather for the next couple days. I'll probably try to make it out there when the weather starts shaping up.

Anchor Man,

I'm going to target deeper water tactics since the Ice just left the lake the crappies should be pre-staging for the spawn with the feed bags on in these locations. My main focus will be on locating schools of fish near shallow flats, near steep breaks, & known spawning areas on the locator then seeing how they prefer thier minnow.

The dirty water is a good tip,but a week or two early yet for the up shallow Tonka Crappies. Don't get me wrong there might be fish up in there, but with the colder weather this water just might not be ready yet.

Good luck & see you on the water.

"Red & Gray 1955 16ft Aluminum Boat w\25hp Evinrude & Bow Mount Minnkota."

Later
Chris

------------------

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try a few different tactics and see what might work. I'll be in a 16ft Sylvan (Red-white blue strips) w/90 horse.

I'll post results on Monday.

Results from 4/10/04 AM fishing:

Located fish in the smaller Back water bays.

I searched the main lake before some of these dirty water bays & found nothing on the locator. Found 1-2 Crappies off of horseshoe reef (42 Deg water temp) then went into some Smaller water bays & found the males have moved into 5'& Under to start there beds for the females(45 Deg water Temp). I boated a total of 6 really nice Females in the 14-16" range but had to sort through alot of males. These female were prefering a larger crappie minnow on a red or purple hook. I tried other colored jigs & found the males to only respond to those presentations.

That is my report for my frist outing of the Tonka open water season. Hope this tid bit of one mans adventure will help others searching for the great Spring Crappie Bite on Tonka.

Later
Chris

------------------

Hey sportfishin...will you post those results on tonka water temps?

Thanks...

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-12-2004).]

Water temps on Friday ranged from 43/44 (Main Lake) to 46/47 (smaller bays)...
Should heat up really soon!

Wiskey,

I really couldn't tell. I was fishing in 5' on very steep break in a backwater area, but could see alot of fish moving along the surface near the shore line & all over. As the boat would move in the wind the locator would go to 2.5' depths at some points. The males really had thier fins worn so this leads me to believe they are creating beds for their girls to come into soon.

Key in on areas over the next week or two that have darker muck bottoms & you should find the fish. The ultimate bite will be coming over the next weeks with the big girls
moving in to flirt with the boys during the wee hours of the day.

***Tip*** For the night bite when she gets going strong is to have 4 or 5 Rods strung up so you don't have to re-tie in the dark. I mention this tip because the Big Walleye & Pike will be coming into these areas also to lay down the grounds for their future also.

Later & Good Fishing
Chris

------------------

I ended getting into them on the north side of Wayzata Bay. I was in the 6-8 foot range using a small white maribou jig tipped w/ a crappie minnow. Size ranged from a couple nice ones to a couple small ones. By the time I got into them, it was already time to head home, so I didn't spend much more time after that. If your looking to spend some nice quiet time on Tonka before the mayhem of the crowds, this is a great time of year. I arrived at the landing at 7:15 and was the first one there.

What time can you pick up crappies on Tonka this time of year? I know the evening bite, how about other times?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

You can pick up crappies anytime of day this time of the year...and also guys and ladies,crappies don't usually spawn until the water reaches between 55 and 72 degrees in Minnesota.This time of year they are just putting on the feedbags preparing for their time...find a shoreline where the wind is blowing up on and you'll likely find feeding crappies.

CM

Thanks, C.M.

I'll put that info to good use.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Main lake has not produced yet,but soon.Back bays worth noting.Maxwell,and N.Arm.

Good luck!

CM

Has anyone been out in the last couple of days, if so catching any? I was out tuesday, mostly to get my boat out for the time, did fish but only a little. Might try getting out Sunday in between the rain showers.

Has any one been out in the last couple days? Getting any crappies? I was thinking of heading out Sunday trying to beat the rain storms. Was out Wednesday but mostly to get my boat in the for the first time this year.

I was out on Thursday. It was VERY windy. We did pretty good on smaller crappie and sunnies in 4-7 feet. We were in an area I wouldn't expect them. No major submerged weeds or cattails nearby. The water was murky. I always see a few boats in that area, so I thought we'd stop in the vicinity and see if there was any action. We did well on bobbers and plain hooks. Tried casting with platsics and using colored jigs with minimal success.

went out on saturday, between 2 of us about 25 crappies or so, kept 6 for lunch, had most of my luck on the west side of wayzata bay trolling with a plastic jig and a minnow head in about 6 feet of water, had tried casting, and fishing with a bobber and got nothing but when i started to troll they started biting

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

I was out from Noon - 3:45PM. Caught many crappie in Peavy took 5 Girls home for dinnner.

Had to brave the 6' swells on the way back to Grays Bay landing out on the main Lower Lake. I will never do that again when there are South winds @ 35-45 mph. Can any one say "Wet!"

The bite is going!!

Good Luck
Chris

------------------

Sport fishin'

What kind of depths are you hitting?
Windward/north side?

Are you bobbering with live bait?

Yeah, I found the same running across the lake. I fished Maxwell and landed at Grays.

It's been a long time since I've ran waves like that. I too was pretty wet...thank goodness for the rain gear.

I think I was loading up when you came in. I was in a Red Lund Pro Angler/4 stroke Merc...Blue Ford.

You have a Dark Ford Diesel??

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-19-2004).]

Hammer Em'

I was getting them with a slip bobber rig with a purple hook & minnow. Anchored in 6' fishing the shallow water with my bobber set 3' down & dragging it out until it would stand up & bob right off the bottom.

Location = North End Creek Side

Yeah thank goodness for rain gear!! I think those waves could have sent some of the in-experienced home with soiled pants. smile.gif

No Diesel here. Mine was the Dark Blue 99 F250SD Ext Cab in the Second Alley right next to the handicap stalls with the Iron Ore stained trailer from the Pits in Crosby.

I have Grey & Red 1955 16ft Aluminum Boat named the "Screamin' Semen" boat has been in the wifes family since it was New in 55'.

I'm hoping to get out later in the week & try Tanager after sundown to see if the Nite Life is happening yet over by the creek mouth.

------------------
"I fish there for I am!"

[This message has been edited by SportFishin' (edited 04-19-2004).]

The pits of Crosby! I love that place! Watch out for the poision ivy though - LOL.

Anyone try Carson's bay yet? I wonder how much Tonka went up with the rain we got. I hope a few inches!

I was out on Sunday from 1-4 before the storms hit. It was like Lake of the Woods out there with the waves!!! It was toasty, but the water was just a tad too cold for enjoyment. ZERO crappies were boated...infact ZERO fish. I was in Maxwell. Fished shallow and deep. Windy and calm. Nothing. Mostly casting twisters or tubes with minnows.

Will try again!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-19-2004).]