• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Trailblazer

Regulations - Transporting

Trailblazer

Can someone help me understand this reulation that I just noticed becuase my buddy called me last night: "It is ilegal for anglers to transport live fish, including in livewells?" OK - here is what we have done the past few yrs - we catch our limit of crappies, all in the livewell, et the boat out of the water and go ometo clean keeping the crappiein the livewell the whole time. What method should we use?

Seems ridiculous to me.

Tonka Boy

Either drain the water from your livewell or remove the fish and put them in a bucket or something. They cannot be transported in a "full" livewell. The regulation is in place to prevent transplanting fish in other waters.

Wavey Davey

Throw 'em in a bucket, bag, ice chest, anything. Or just drain your livewell of water.

You know you're bringing them home to clean,
but if they're alive in water, it's possible you could illegally sell live game fish or stock a pond or lake which is also not legal without a permit.

PISCATOR

This regulation is in place to deter the migration of millfoil, zebra mussels and other undesirable transplants. When you finally do drain your livewell the water is going to run somewhere - perhaps (likely)into a different drainage than the one you just fished.

TUMBLEWEED

Drain the livewell at the lake then drop in a bag or two of ice afterwards. They stay
just fine til you get to cleaning them....

Trailblazer

So as long as I drain the livewell at the lake, leave the fish in the livewell, I am OK? I live about 10 minutes from the lake, so I assume the fish would still be OK?

Angler Don

We were told by DNR that this also applies to transporting minnows in the bucket. Got the lecture and the exotic species sticker. Goes along with cleaning weeds from the trailer after leaving the lake, prevents lake-to-lake contamination.
Don

Tonka Boy

Correct!

It's a pain, but due to all of the exotics now, it's for the best.

Clayburn

Milfoil is going to spread regardless of what people do with it. In life it is the survival of the fittest and I'm afraid to say it but milfoil is the most adaptive plant. I still to this day have not seen one single significant downfall of this plant!