• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

medicine lake

joe harty,
what kind of work are we supposed to look for you doing? Mowing lawns?

People catching any crappies out there recently?

-Catchin'

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• local boy

• huskiesplayer15

• Joe Harty

Thinking about heading out tonight, where the best launch and is there any cost involved in launching? Also, off 169 what's the best way to get there.

Sorry for the questions.

A

You don't have a choice when it comes to launches. There's only one public launch, and that in French Park. I don't know if they still have the free weekday parking. If you do have to pay its something like 5 bucks. The best way to get to French Park from 169 is to go west on County Road 9.

Here's a map:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=french+park&city=plymouth&state=mn&zipcode=55441&submit=Get+Map

I was out at medicine yesterday before the rain came. In french park by the boat rental lagoon. I was catching sunnies, no crappies. Some other guy was catching a few crappies from the rental dock, so I switched to a minnow and caught three 2 pound or so largemouth ( may have been same one 3 times ) Some other guy said crappies were hitting there good last week. Rain on sunday pushed them deep again I think.

I fished the chanels in french park on fri & sat. Everyone else I saw was using live bait and not doing very well. Being a first timer fishing there it took me a bit to find the fish, but when I did, all hell broke loose. The sunfish just went crazy for a small teardrop ice jig with a 1/4" piece of chartruce GULP on it. I probably caught & released 90 sunnys over total time out of 6 hrs. And probably 60% of them were very respectable keeper size. Sat afternoon the crappies started to move in better too.
Bet I gave away almost half a bottle of gulp also. Give it a try.
Backlash

CW....if you want to find a lawn in the water, just go to the golf course !
If you're observant you will know what I mean when you get out to this lake !

Lakeman

any gone out fishin lately? i plan on goin out tonght, either goin to med or tonka, i cant deced.

I have a question reguarding French Park (I think thats the name) I was driving around Medicine looking for this park Sunday and I noticed the entrance said regional park, Do you have to pay to get in there?? I never did check to see if you had to.

MNwild,
Monday thru Thursday there is no fee to use the park. Friday Saturday and Sunday it is 5.00 per day or 25.00 for the Season.

Thanks for the info on the park. I think I will go there Saturday morning and try for panfish.

Was up at French Park today. I asked a guy when he was launching his boat if he did any good and he said that he didn't get a nibble. He went all over the lake and didn't see anything. But anyways, I'm taking the boat out on thursday or friday. I'm leaning more towards friday, it looks like the weather will be better. Hey Joe, if you're not busy wanna do some exploring? wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MedicineMan (edited 04-28-2004).]

Oh yeah, the water temp in the lake is anywhere from 55-58 degrees. The back channels are in the low 60s.

Medman...the only way I can is if I cannot get into the water at the Marinas to work. Hit my e-mail dude...we'll talk there.

Lakeman

I'm heading out to the lake at 10. I'll be at the lake untill 4 or 5. If you see some kid in a red lund with 30 horse Nissan. That would most likely be me.

Went out today from 10:30-4:30. I saw tons of Crappies and Sunnies. The majority of the fish were in the weeds. The weeds are growing as deep as 14 feet. I saw a couple Northerns, a few Bass, and a couple Walleyes. I did also see a wooden boat down in 20 feet of water. That thing stuck out like a sore thumb on the depth finder!

Was out by the creek/channel a week ago and landed tons and tons of crappies. Some of them too small though.. but did landed a few good ones. They bit on every cast on a red headed jig. Did not keep any but I had a lot of fun.

[This message has been edited by fisherman-andy (edited 05-01-2004).]

Gman, I'm guessing that you're asking me about the boat? If so, I saw that boat on the south side of the big point thats right in front of French Park. The boat is straight out from a white house that has a big white sail boat. If you head straight out from the sail boat you'll see about a 3 foot hump on the bottom, and that will be the boat.

I'm goin' out on Medicine again this thursday. I've got the entire west side mapped....now its time to map the east side. grin.gif

Went out yesterday, REALLY FRIGGIN' WINDY! Geez, they said winds of 10-15mph. 10-15 my a$$! I had rogue waves out there! I did see a ton of fish thought. I saw at least 200 Sunnies, another 50 Crappies. All of them are in 8-9 feet of water. No shallower no deeper. I saw a couple Bass a few Notherns, I also did see half a dozen Walleyes. All the eyes I saw were scattered. I also fished form 2-3. I caught 8 Crappies, 3 Sunnies, 1 Bass, and 1 Walleye. The Crappies were decent sized, 10-12 inches. The Bass and the Walleye were both between 10-12 inches. The Sunnies averaged 6 inches but they fought like he11.

Strong bluegill bite today. Very aggressive towards a pink jig, white body and tipped w/ a waxie.

Not a lot of big ones, but they were here and there. 4-8' was the best depth.

Was going to try the far northwest corner for crappies, but the motor acted up so I decided to go back to the launch.

Saw a nice northern on the prowl, scared the panfish up to the surface three times.

MedMan - you get those crappies in the main lake or the backwaters? All my gills were in the SW/W/Peninsula areas.

DB

DB, I caught all my Crappies on one particular island out in the main lake. I caught all my Sunnies on weedy points and the big weed flat on the south end.