• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long Lake (N/B) Dock Fishing

Was out there with BigStevie tonight. Almost got skunked but a carp and a couple bullheads saved the evening. The water level is up thanks to the storm on Sunday.

Of the panfish I've been catching, nothing worth keeping. Good luck finding the larger ones!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lost

• FisherDan

• mnwild

• so haaad

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna give Long Lake another try this weekend. I'll be out there to see if my boat actually floats or not but I won't be fishing from the boat. Just gonna get it in the water, adjust the trailer some, and then get it back out.

After that I'll be throwing the hook in the water. Maybe something of a decent size will finally bite!

Went to the dock around 7:30 last night just to see who was out there and what was biting. There were about 5-6 people fishing at the time, some left, others just showed up. From what I saw/heard not much is being caught off the dock yet. Some people claimed to be fishing for crappies while others admitted to fishing for whatever would bite. One guy said he caught a couple small pike. I took a peek into someone's cooler and saw a couple of bullheads in there. Since I live pretty close to Long Lake I stop by once or twice a week at varying hours just to see how things are shaping up. After opener I expect to fish there at least a couple times a week. No boat, so on the dock is where you'll find me.

See ya on the lake,

Manny

------------------
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

not to bash long as i grew up there, but there is also Johanna not too far away that i think has more quality fish and a better chance of a bigger one. Lots of shore fishing areas, the north side of it in the public park (dock there too), or you can park in Northwestern college and walk down and fish all around the island point on the south side. on that side there is lots of good structure accessible from shore. Atleast that is what i did up to 3-5 years ago. Like i said, hard to come by eaters in Long, it just isnt the fishery it used to be frown.gif my 2 cents though.
-Catchin'

I have to agree with Cacthin. I grew up shore fishing Long Lake back in 70's and caught some nice pike back than..,...but NEVER caught a crappie bigger than 8".
Johanna's a better option and even Josephine.
I used to take my kids to Josephine in the 90's and caught lots of sunnies from shore, between the boat landing and the beach. Not much size to 'em, but the kids always had some action and a good time.
Johanna's actually got some really nice sized crappies in it, but you can't fish from shore where they usually school up.
Just my $.02
Good luck !
Twitter

I usually fish Long Lake for walleyes (when in season) and nothing else. In that respect, Long has been good to me and that's all I will say...

------------------
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

-Chief Brody (Jaws)

Good morning guys,

Did I happen to see some FM'ers on the north side of Long Lake by the walk bridge on Saturday afternoon?

Man, that place was busy. I saw many "no fishing" signs posted, but many people along the bank and even some boats that were right by the bridge.

If so, how did you do? I would risk the wrath of the homeowners if I knew you were doing well. Plus, nice to puta faces to names.

I saw that too. I was out on the fishing dock Saturday morning and didn't get a bite.

Yep, and I was out running around the lake in the late afternoon. I'm curious if any of them got ticketed in the non-fishing area, as I saw there was a New Brighton PD making his rounds.

I certainly hope the law breakers got their just dues. I prefer to abide by the rules. It costs less in the long run.

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 05-03-2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out of fishing commission for probably about a week. Can hardly tie my shoes so it's gonna be even harder to tie fishing line and remove hooks.

Hopefully the pain will be gone by middle of next week.

-- LOST --

Just curious if anyone is going to be fishing off the dock Saturday morning??
I may be down there right around 6:30am with 1/2doz. suckers trying for Northern's.

Lost?? What did you do?? You have to take better care of yourself so we can get out fishing again!! I hope you get yourself better.

Sorry to worry you BigStevie. I was trying to get a plug into the hull drain hole on my boat (can't seem to find anything that'll fit) and while trying to get the plug to maybe turn into the threads I cut my thumb nice and deep. Didn't notice it until blood started dripping. The cut has skin over it now but still has a pretty deep scab.

I did test my thumb out today! Felt fine until I tried to remove a hook from a fishes mouth (wasn't mine, I got skunked). It hurt with pressure on it after that.

So, when do you want to get out again?

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing report Long Lake dock Saturday 5/29/04….. Crappies are starting to hit in the evenings and are getting a little bigger. Walleyes are hitting after 8:00 have seen several two plus pounders caught and a fair amount of smaller ones. Not much for sunnies yet. Lots of small northerns being caught but the bigger ones are starting to come in now. I am posting two of the northerns we caught on suckers. One was 11 pounds & 36” long. The other one was 5 ½ pounds 28 ½ inches.

It sure was fun bringing in that 11 pounder on 7-pound test with no leader. It took about 10 minutes and I would like to thank everyone on the dock. They all pulled in their lines and let me have the water to myself. Special thanks to the guy that netted it for me. The girlfriend was going to net it but when she seen how big it was she thought if she messed up and I lost it I would have yelled at her for the rest of her life. (I just may have) It was a great bunch of people on the dock that day. I think they where happier then me when I finally got it on the dock.

fish9.jpg

fish12.jpg

Dan
fish-jumping.gif

Dan, wish I coulda been there to watch you fight that one! That's nice. You're right in stating that the larger ones are coming in. Hillman hooked into a large one and it tossed the hook this past Friday. I watched someone else do the same thing after getting excited watching the big one swirl at the surface at it attacked the sucker. He had it within 30 feet of the dock when the hook came out.

These are the largest fish I've seen in this area. I didn't make it out there last year until mid-summer.

Hope to see you out there some time this week! I'll be heading out after work at least once this week.

See next post....

[This message has been edited by fisherGirlfriend (edited 05-31-2004).]

Hi All!

Thought I better get on here and get known by something other then "The Girlfriend"...

It sure was fun at Long on Saturday (despite the early morning downpour).

I held the crown of "Dock Queen" until "show off" had to bury me with his 11 pound northern. That's okay I held the title for a while, and I will get you next time fisher Dan.

Hi to Lost! Hope you haven't hooked any more big ones around that you couldn't get in without my help! lol...

I am posting another picture of fisherDan's big catch. Way to go baby!

fish11.jpg

fisherGirlfriend

PS: Sorry about the first post without the pictures...I am just learning...no HTML here...lol)
bobber.gif

[This message has been edited by fisherGirlfriend (edited 05-31-2004).]