• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long Lake (N/B) Dock Fishing

Hi All
Anybody know if the water is open around the fishing dock? We are thinking about going there this weekend. We always did good there in the summer. I went by there a few weeks ago and the creek next to the dock was open I would think the dock would be open by now and maybe could hook a few sunnys or crappies. Has anyone been fishing off the dock with any luck? Thanks for any info.

Dan icefishing.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lost

• FisherDan

• mnwild

• so haaad

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking about checking it out but haven't had a chance to drive that direction yet. I'm sure it is open around the dock but how far away from the dock is the ice? Far enough out to get deep enough to catch fish? Not sure. Get out there and report back, will ya? Lookin' forward to hearing from you!

I was down to check out the ice conditions this afternoon and saw about twenty yards of open water out from the boat launch. There were two guys out in a small boat checking out the motor. Looked pretty funny, like they were trying to rush the season.
By the end of this weekend it should be all gone!

Thanks for the ice info. yes their is a lot of carp. Their is just about everything in that lake. We have caught some nice 5+ pound Northerns fair size sunnys and crappies and even large sheephead which is realy good smoked by the way. All from the dock. Someone also gave us a nice size catfish too. Was out there a few times last summer with my kick boat and just out from the dock just past casting distance there was a little patch of weeds. The crappies were stacked up like cords of wood over it could see them on the graph. Had to drop the bait right on their heads. If anyone sees us out there say hi. Me and the little women bring our stars and stripes chairs and sit in the middle of the dock.

Dan icefishing.gif

Went to long Lake today. The wind has pushed all the ice to the south end. So no fishing from the dock for now. Should be soon though.

Dan fish-jumping.gif

Which bridge are you talking about? Where the creek exits on the north side or where the creek enters on the east side? If you're talking about the east side, there's no fishing allowed within like 100 feet of it. Is there foot access to the north side bridge?

he is talking about the East side by the railroad bridge. Yes you are right it is posted no fishing from the bridges and 100 feet from them. I have tried to access it from the east 100 feet plus. It is a muddy mess. To the west is fenced off with a no trespassing. All though there is a good trail going around it and I have heard that people do fish it from shore. Personally I could do without the fines if you get caught. Being one that tries to follow the rules the only way to get to it would be by boat up the creek. I have heard it is the place to be in the spring. It is a short walk from the park. I have also heard that the home owners on the other side of the creek will call and report you. They also called on one guy in a boat. The police wanted him to come to shore he would not come and he just kept fishing. As far as I know he was ok to be there. If anyone has any info on fishing this area or west of the posted fence from shore I would like to hear about it. Has anyone got a ticket for fishing these areas?
Dan fish-jumping.gif

Long Lake is completely open now. People were fishing off the dock by the access yesterday.

Bloody, So if you seen them call the cops on someone in a boat what was the outcome? Did they keep fishing or get a ticket? I would sure think that you are in the right to fish under the bridges if you want. As long as you get there by boat.

Those fishing on the dock having any luck?

Dan fish-jumping.gif

[This message has been edited by FisherDan (edited 04-05-2004).]

I plan on fishing either tomorrow or the day after.
would a canoe work?
Best Fishes
Chris

A canoe would work I plan on taking my kick boat up that creek after opening. heard some good things about that hole under the bridge. good luck fishing let me know how it goes.

Dan fish-jumping.gif

i didn't realize anyone caught many sunfish or crappies in Long Lake - has anyone had much luck?

Fisherdan.... the area just west of the walking bridge has been closed for almost 2 years now to shore fishing. They are trying to get some of the shore vegetation back to help reduce some of the erosion the flooding in the area causes. I didn't realize this until i was personally asked to leave the area(this was prior to the no trespass signs) and for your information, the neighbors will call the cops on you even if you are doing nothing wrong (like fishing from a boat, i have seen it with my own 2 eyes)

WOuld any of you guys know how to get down to this lake, i am getting itchy and just want to wet a line for a chance at some silver. THanks guys
Best fishes
chris

Long Lake is located right off 694 & Long Lake Road in New Brighton, very easy to find.

Thomas... We fished from the dock alot in the summer and we always got a meal or two. Like most metro lakes you got to weed through the small to get the keepers. No real large sunnys or crappies but you do get some that are keepers.

Dan fish-jumping.gif

[This message has been edited by FisherDan (edited 04-06-2004).]

Is there anything but boat access to the bridge on Long Lake Blvd?

I do remember plenty of sunnies and a few crappies being caught off the dock last summer. The old-timers even keep the small sunnies if they at least fill up their palm. Seen some real nice crappies pulled out of there including a 14 incher last summer.

I'm probably gonna head out to the dock tomorrow and play with my new rod and reel. Just got me a baitcasting setup that I wanna get used to. I'd rather do it in a location that I'm somewhat familiar with.

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 04-06-2004).]

haven't been there in couple of years, but there was a path that you could walk down on north side of the bridge. only room for couple of people. pike, walleye hangs out there. caught a 6# walleye there, but used to catch mostly pike using rat a tap. never tried for sunfish/crappies. i bought a boat, so don't fish from shore all that much.

I'll hafta see if I can find a place to park and walk down that way sometime. My new rod should be perfect for handling some good sized Northerns.

Sorry all... I went on a major road trip today. Drove all the way around the lake upper and lower parts of Long Lake. There is NO access at any of the bridges all are posted no fishing from the bridge and if you try to go around any of the bridges you will have to go on private property just to get under the bridge and their is no parking any place close to them. I even checked out pike lake to see if you could get to it from pike. Their is a city trail down to pike and you can park on the road by the trail. Has anyone tried pike? Looks like to me the only way to legally get to any of the creeks is by boat. I did find one spot you could put in a canoe east of the railroad bridge maybe ¼ mile or so. Not sure if you can get all the way down to the bridge though. If you are looking for Carp this is the place to go. I seen hundreds of them right at my feet. I also stopped at the dock one guy fishing no luck but it looked like he wasn't fishing for sunnys or crappies. Should have maybe called the C.O.

Dan fish-jumping.gif

Hey Dan,

What time were you there? I took off early from work today (4:30) and went out there with my new baitcasting stuff and practiced casting. I did find a jig with plastic minnow on it lying on the bench of the dock. Must have been from the guy you saw.

How does one get to Pike Lake? I've been wanting to get over for the longest time.

Hi guys,

For Pike Lake, there are two ways to hit the south end. There is a walking path along the north side of 694 between Silver Lake and Long Lake Rd (that's essentially where I live). You can 1.) park at the church on the NW corner of Long Lake Rd and 694 and walk west along the path to the shore; or 2.) Park on Pike Lake drive (aka the frontage rd that runs east from Silver Lake Rd)and enter through there.

As far as I know there is no boat access. About two years ago or so Pike Lake came right up to the path......but irrigiation efforts by the city have changed the landscape a bit. You need to walk a little further.

We walk there on nice evenings and weekends. Best of luck, and let me know how you do.....I will bring my pole next time!

Happy (insert PC correct easter name here)!

Mark

Hey Jughead, maybe we should head out to Pike Lake together sometime. That way we can attack it from all angles! Anybody else feel like going for a short hike to Pike?

I saw a boat in the river down from the train bridge fishing last night when I was out jogging. They were both staring at the trees onshore, so maybe they were going for flying fish??? Kind of a funny sight. Anyways, I run the Pike trail and around Long Lake about 4 times a week. I've seen several people fishing illegally by the train bridge in the past couple of weeks, but two were just kids. Also, I noticed that small sunnies have moved into the shallows near the culvert on Pike. Surprisingly, I've yet to fish this lake. Have any of you fished it?

Lost, if you decide to hit Pike this week or next weekend & want some company, drop me a line. I love little lakes like this. grin.gif

Max, I'd love to hit it. Just not sure what to bring with me. I'm looking at possibly next weekend. Wont' have time this weekend as much as I want to get out there. Gotta keep the girlfriend and her family happy.

Since we'll be targeting panfish, what tackle should I bring? I usually just bring everything I've got but I'd rather travel light if I've gotta hike to the location.