• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro area campgrounds?

Looking to do a combo trip to the Minneapolis Metro area in August to watch the Twins beat the Yankees and camp at a nice campground on a multi-specie lake. Can anyone suggest a nice place to camp? Will also take the boat and would like to catch walleyes and panfish for the kids. Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by Muskeez (edited 03-27-2004).]

Lake Independance, Henn. co. parks. Plus you have a bunch of other lakes close by and youare about30 mins from the Dome. sounds like a fun weekend.

St Croix Bluffs / Washington County Park
Almost an hour from the Dome, but the St Croix River is the epitomy of a MULTI-SPECIES fishery.
Cats, Carp, Sunnies, Crappies, Walleye, Sauger, Sturgeon, Smallies, WhiteBass, and SheepHead are all common in the river.

Muskeez, You just described Lake Independence. You can't go wrong. I live across the road from the campground and you can't ask for a better place to take your kids. They mantain the facilities likes nobodies business and there are plenty of things for you and your family to enjoy. There is a nice swimming beach and alot of space to play catch with the kids. You shouldn't have problems finding panfish. I've had decent luck trolling for the walleyes in the evening(depending on boat traffic), and Independence is one of the top ten lakes for Musky.

Independence Park is a great place, the only problem with your plan however is if you plan on seeing the Twins beat the Yanks you'll be disapointed and I don't want your weekend to be ruined by a 3 game sweep
(I grew up 20 minutes from Yankee stadium until I was 18 so even though I kinda like the Twins I'll always cheer against them when they play my team)
I'd also concentrate my fishing early morning and evening on that lake as recreation traffic is terrible
good luck

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo