• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where would you open-water fish this weekend??

I've got 4 rod/reel combos with 0 combined casts on them. I don't care if all I catch is carp (never caught one before), I just want someplace to try out the new rigs and maybe catch a fish or two. I've NEVER fished the metro area at all, even though I've lived here for almost one year. I live in Plymouth so someplace close to there would be great. I don't have a boat, shore fishing is what I will be doing. I live 1.5 miles from work, so I will need directions for most spots since I don't know the area very good. I live just off Hwy. 169 in the Rockford Road/CR9 area. Give me some ideas!! Thanks.

head to the Mississippi - check out the forum for Pool 2 or furhter north. Walleyes are staging and channel cats are getting active. Can't help with shore spots - I fish thru the winter on the river from a boat

I think there are spots on rivers(backwaters maybe) that are open but I have never fished these types of places so I dont know. But I can give you a decent spot for some shore fishing once the ice melts off the lakes. If you go west down hwy 55, you will go through rockford, and then get to buffalo. Buffalo is a GOOD lake to fish even from shore. There is about a mile strech of shoreline on the north side/NW maybe, it is a rocky shoreline and a road goes along it. It is a very nice place to fish and is usually not crouded with people. I never fished panfish there but I have seen people do it and im sure it will be good in the spring. I have caughten some nice bass and northern right off of shore. Should be a short drive for you and a good lake to learn. You should be able to see the road that goes along the NW side of lake if you look at a map. I believe there is also some shore fishing areas on the south side of the lake but I have never fished it. Shouldnt be too long before that shallow lake opens up. Id give that lake 2 more weeks max. If you do get out there post a report and let us know how you did. Another lake I would recommend is Long Lake(in long lake/orono). It recieves very little fishing pressure and is a very good lake if you figure it out. There is some decent shore fishing opportunites on the north east shore in the spring. Its not too far from you either. A little closer than buffalo would be I think. It is located on hwy 12, hwy 394 turns into 12 if you got west on it. Good Luck!

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad

If you are looking for early open water, the only metro waters you'll be able to access is Pool 2 of the Mississippi. That's where I'll be this weekend (I'm sure with about a 100 others). There are a handful of great spots on pool 2. Minnehaha falls park (hike down to the river and fish from the creek inlet up to the Ford dam), Fort Snelling park (never tried it out, but heard it is good), lilydale regions park, and further on south there are a handful of public spots! Bring your hiking boots for some of the better spots. Remember pool 2 is catch and release only!

Other than that, you are stuck until lakes start to ice-out and then you are limited to panfish which in my opinion is no fun...especially with all of your new equipment.

Hollywood - once the ice is out try the backwaters of Medicine Lake located in French Park. I thought I'd mention this since you're so close.

This area is shallow and darkstained so it warms up early. The crappies should be moving in there in 2-3 weeks. They don't come big but plenty to catch if you find them.

1/64oz jig always worked well under a bobber and don't be surprised if you catch a big bass or a dogfish out of there either!

You'll want to wear rubber boots or old shoes as it'll be muddy n swampy back there.

DB

Hollywood Pete,

I live in Plymouth myself, and just got a boat last year (hey, at least it floats) If you want to come fishing with me sometime, contact me, and we'll go once the water opens up.

[email protected]

I fish primarily Tonka, but am more than willing to explore other lakes and rivers as well.

------------------
<><<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>><>

I also live in Plymouth. I live within a mile of Medicine and I fish it ALL the time. (Hence my username) I would agree that the back channels in French Park are a great early season panfish area. That entire back northwest bay is shallow and mucky. So that back bay is good for early season panfish. I know that once the ice leaves Medicine. I'm gonna get out and do some more filming on my aqua-vu! smile.gif If you ever want some info on Medicine feel free to ask. smile.gif

Medicine Man,

What can you catch in Medicine lake? I suppose northern, bass, crappies and sunnies. Any walters?

------------------
<><<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>><>

I know on my way up 169 North every weekend I drive over what I'm assuming is the Mississippi in Champlin. Anybody fish there? Calvinist, I'll be sending you an email soon.

You can catch anything. When anything, I mean ANYTHING! The DNR has captured some weird things in Medicine. They've captured Smallmouth/Bigmouth Buffalo, Goldeye. I've even heard of someone catching an American Eel in Medicine. I SWEAR that I saw a Sauger one time on the Aqua-Vu. Maybe I was on something at that time? smile.gif The reason you'll hear about strange fish being in Medicine is because of Bassett Creek. Bassett Creek runs out of the south end of Medicine and all the way to the Mississippi. So during high water fish will use the creek as a highway between the two. There are some Walleyes in Medicine. They DNR has been stocking them every other year since 1999. So far they're showing good growth and they're talking hold. I caught 20-25 walleyes this past year. 8 out of 10 were small, I mean in the 4-6 inch range. Moby1 caught a 26 incher last fall. Ebass caught a nice 20+ inch fish last summer. Someone caugh a 5 pounder this past winter. I STRONGLY suggest that any Walleye you catch you release immediately. Lets do all we can to help out the Walleye population in this lake. smile.gif

hollywood_pete

I thought that might get your attention!

------------------
<><<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>><>

Hey Medicine Man, that's funny - I noticed the goldeyes on the DNR gillnet report for medicine too. I'm planning a trip to the Red River in Canada to fish for goldeyes, I thought it must've been a typo by the DNR. Maybe it's not. Have you ever seen a goldeye caught there?

I've never heard or seen anyone catch a Goldeye on Medicine besides the DNR. I think the Goldeye they caught was a rogue fish. There was a guy on this site who said he caught a Smallmouth Bass last fall. Joe Harty's told me about guys catching fish in Medicine that shouldn't necessarily be in that lake. But most of the weird catches you hear about are most likely rogue fish.