• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

16 Gauge

LMITOUT

Anybody shooting one? I picked up a Citori O/U yesterday and can't wait to give it a go this fall for roosters. They say the 16 ga "carries like a 20, but shoots like a 12". As much walking as I do for pheasants I think this lightweight gun will be handy to tote around all day on the long walks, compared to the Wingmaster which is relatively heavy.

So, any other 16 lovers out there?

My dad still has one but its older and heavier than heck. I do think the 16 is enjoying a little resurgence.

Got one when I was 17, had it for almost 45 years. It's an old semi-auto. I use it for grouse and put in slugs for deer hunting...I've been told to change to another, but I like it and am too cheap to buy a rifle just for deer. The slugs do their thing.

I have been carrying a Citori 16 O/U for the last 4 seasons. Absolutely love it. Easy to carry, quick to the shoulder, kills birds out to about 40 yards clean. Variety of shells is a little tough to find. I like # 2's in steel for roosters and ducks on WPA's. For WMA's and Private a load of # 5 Fiocchi on top followed by a Federal Premium Copper Plated #4 magnum on the bottom. IC/Mod early season, Mod/full late. Don't think I could ever go back to my old pump gun for roosters.

Nice to see some others still shooting the 16.

Grab the net - I picked up some Fiocchi #5 when I bought the gun and have read they are a very good load for roosters. I haven't looked too hard for the Federal Premiums in 16ga yet, but really liked them for the 12ga the past two seasons. Never had a runner when shooting them. Great load.

I have always had a 16 high on my wish list. Was very disappointed in the 870 when they built it on the 12 ga frame and it weighs the same as the 12, should have done it on the 20 frame/weight mindset instead. I would like to pick up an over/under 16 some day. Hopefully the shell manufacturers do a good job of getting steel loads out there for it. I'm afraid the lead ban might be bad for the ol sweet 16...

i love the 16, I inherited an Ithaca 37 featherweight from my father and in my opinion is the perfect pheasant gun. It has all the power to reach out and touch them, but won't blow them apart like a 12. The only draw back is if you have to shoot a non-tox load like steel, it's hard to find and only in 2's and 4's.

I got an A5 sweet sixteen from my grandfather, love that gun. I shot it great for clays but had trouble killin ducks or pheasants with it.

I've also got a Browning Citori but it's a featherweight. Love to hunt roosters with it as it is very light for carrying around all day and it kills the birds just fine if shooting error isn't part of the picture! Shells can be rather hard to find, as a lot of stores don't carry 16 ga. shells.

I haven't had a problem finding shells, but don't expect any little mom and pop gas station out in the sticks to have them.

I had my hands on a Sweet 16 a couple years back, wish I could have afforded it....but the pair of 16 ga 1100's that are in my familys gun cabinet aren't to shabby either.

Dad picked up a Stoger Condor O/U in 16ga last year, for a cheap ($300) gun it is sure fun to shoot.

Harvey, is your Sweet Sixteen a Belgian or Japanese made? Love this old "clunker".

I also have a Ithaca 37 in 16 ga, but it needs some smithing to be safe to shoot.

16 is the new 12 again. I've wanted one since '85 the last tie they were popular. Couldnt find one when I could afford one though. I guess Ill have to buy one for the daughter.

I got a Remington 870 Wingmaster 48 years ago when I was 11 years old. I paid $80 for it new back then. Until steel shot was required, it was the only gun I would use. I now have a three barrel set for it;full, improved cylinder, and smoothbore with rifle sights. In its time, its taken ducks, geese,pheasants, grouse, partridge, rabbits,deer,and assorted varmints. As a kid, I hunted with guys who were ammo burners and shot at every can and stump they saw. When they ran out of ammo, they couldn't borrow mine because they shot 12s and 20s. My second favorite gauge is 28 gauge.

No it is for the girl, mom insists she get a decent gun to hunt with. BTW she decided this weekend to take up archery so more stuff for her. If she likes the 16ga I may have to get one for me, to save on how many different shells we buy