• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

More Bear Pictures

superbee

It looks like there are 3 different bears hitting this bait. Two are big bears and the third is a nice bear. The weather has gotten warmer and a little more late night action taking place. Some daytime activity, but alot more consistant during the evening hours.

bearcam12008006.jpg

bearcam12008023.jpg

bearcam12008032.jpg

bearcam12008040.jpg

bearcam12008048.jpg

I think there is a pretty good selection at this bait. These cameras are a blast, it doesn't look like an over abundance of activity at the baits, but the camera shows different. Another thing to note is the barrel, date, and time on the camera. This bait is on a 3-4 day rotation of getting baited. The barrel was never tipped over by any of the bears until the 16th. If you can get away with baiting alot and less often, the bears are less likely to pattern you going in and out and have more natural movement at teh bait sites. Some make the mistake of going in daily and the mature bears get used to the pattern and smarten up real quick.

They should make one of my hunters happy, hopefully they hold out and shoot the big one. I am sure most of them would be happy with any one of them.

Hey superbee, I've heard of youre method of baiting alot of bait, hence less human intrusion making the bears more comfortable, I guesse my thought of it would be, with alot of bait at the station an less human intrussion the bears would have no timed feeding pattern an hit the site when ever it felt hungery, I thought if a baiter uses the pavlov method an condition the bear every day or every other day with the four wheeler an buckets banging indicating a dinner bell affect an staying consistant with doing every bating the same way, conditioning the bear in that matter can be very effective, any thoughts on this? boar

I have utilized that method as well. You are right in your thinking. The only thing I have noticed is that the bears do come in with the pattern, but the larger bears are more wary. They may have been passed up and winded a hunter before and have that game figured out. The other thing is I have alot more multiple bears at the bait with alot of food than with the other method. They also seem to have a pretty good pattern of times and in specific orders sometimes. They both are effective, but I feel a better edge using bait less but alot.

Thanks, I've always wanted to do it that way, but fear of running out of bait, how much do ya use ar one site to last about how many days? boar

I use a sweet feed mixture of oats, corn, and ect mixed with molasses. If your bait is very active with multiple bears, 250# will go about 4-5 days. That is a basic rule of thumb anyway from what I have seen at my baits. I have had a few different years that would only go 3 days before being wiped out. I usually start each bait out with 100 -150# and check them every 4-5 days and when the bait is starting to run low in that time, jump it up to the 250#. If you need any other ideas or pointers, let me know.

Nice bear pic's. That one even seems to be smiling for you! He is probally thinking I will smile now but wait till the season opens. smile

Froggy

If everything goes right, he will be able to keep smiling unless the big boy is his grandad. We will just have to wait and see what happens!

Hey Boar,

The method that you mentioned is what we use. We always bait between 11am-2pm and the boat comes in drops on food and leaves. When the boat/noise leaves the bears seem to come in. (like a dinner bell).

We always drop out hunters off, so the pattern stays the same. (boat comes in then the boat leaves)

We do this for about 3 weeks before the first hunters and it has worked pretty good for the past 8 years.

thanks for th input guys, I hunt an area called no qouta zone numbers are lower than the rest of the state an I'm allowed two bears for the price of one, i think that in my area that numberrs arnt as low as some would think, especially with since i hunt in a huge expanse of river bottom surounded on both side by crops, corn, beans ect.. that gose for miles. I might try the bait more less often next year, I'v always wondered though, with less bait more often if a bear hits the bait an can eat all whats there, and another bear comes in on his scent trail an finds nothing to eat will he move on to another food source, is that the benefit of multiple bait sites? Thanks, Boar

The problem I believe with less bait is that you can't hold multiple bears. As a individual hunter I feel you would benefit more by having multiple bears at one bait and holding them there with the possibility of bringing in more. If a bear comes and gets nothing, he will move on to somewhere else. Everyone has their own methods and both work, it is just what you prefer and have good success with.