• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Archery Tip of the Week

harvey lee

I just got my camera's out a few weeks ago and checked my stands yesterday and found that some one stold my climbing sticks and put a lock on one of MY stands. Looks like I have company in my woods.

mr

Meat-run, I had one of my stands literally shot out of a tree last rifle season. They shot through the cable lock I had attached,and 1/2 way through a ratcheting strap I used as a secondary attaching strap.

The people were smart enough not to leave any shell casings lying around. All DNR could do was shake his head in sympathy.

Hope you can catch this guy.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• Finlander

• harvey lee

• Christopher Quast

Osok,

I totally forgot about this post. Did track down the person, retreived my stuff and we had a "nice" little talk and made things very clear....that's all i'm saying for the record.

The outcome was positive and he now knows the sportsmans rules, if its not your and not your property, leave it alone!

Two days and counting, I can't get any sleep either, good luck to all and be safe.

mr

Osok,

I totally forgot about this post. Did track down the person, retreived my stuff and we had a "nice" little talk and made things very clear....that's all i'm saying for the record.

The outcome was positive and he now knows the sportsmans rules, if its not your and not your property, leave it alone!

Two days and counting, I can't get any sleep either, good luck to all and be safe.

mr

Did you give them the "what it is to be a man" talk that kids don't get anymore?

Target life. While shooting this year my broadheads started poking out the back of my target at times. I was just pulling them back through, which was cutting up my block even more. So now if they poke through I unscrew the broad head and pull the arrow back out. Its really helped save on the target.

Along the same tip as Bear55. I use goose down form Previous hunts. Ask a friend how bird hunts. Down From Pheasant's or ducks would work as well. I use 35 millimeter camera canisters. Pack as much as the down as you can in it I mean pack it tight. Put the cover on it then use a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill a hole in the top. This will pull some of the down out. That's OK you will have enough down to last you for a year or two. Just pinch a little amount from the hole and you can send it on its way. Even ripping it in the smallest of amount well travel a long way. Makes Great Gifts for the new and young that are just getting started. My son would play with this and watch the down fly along way while rifle hunting in his early years. It is true the wind can make some major changes during the time you sit on a stand. Great for out in the mountains as well while Elk hunting. Good luck to all.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not. When you shoot at a deer and watch him run away take a picture of the last spot you saw it and also the spot it was standing when you shot. It is still fresh in your mind and its a whole lot easier to pull out the camera take a look at the picture to refresh your memory than it is to climb back up into the stand and try to guess the spots.

and even if you don't take a real picture... take a mental one. replay the whole scene right away, using spatial markers like trees or patches of grass to note the path of the deer, and go over how it acted after being shot

i know i get caught up in the moment and will forget surprisingly large details.

fishingwebguy,

He was old enough for a good old @ss whoopen but not worth jail time since I have a family and not worth it. Just explained to him what I was doing and the true property lines, showed him county plat map etc. If anything he knows his property better now that I proved to him what was his. I had to take the high road because some day I might shoot a deer and it could run onto his property and I just would rather have some one help track a deer than take a deer from me.

thanks,

mr

My tip of the week, its been a wet year, crazy wet in some parts of the state. Whatever you do don't wear knee boats to a hip-boot or wader party. Falling into a swampy muck filled hole is only funny when its the other guy.

I will agree with Bear55. I had to wade across a rocky, very sharp rocky, stream three times on Sunday. Oh yeah carrying, my bow, backpack, stand, ladder sticks, pruner and my knee high rubber boots. That water is chilly.

I will agree with Bear55. I had to wade across a rocky, very sharp rocky, stream three times on Sunday. Oh yeah carrying, my bow, backpack, stand, ladder sticks, pruner and my knee high rubber boots. That water is chilly.

Aw, your what hurts? wink

The landowner says we can drive the truck across even now - just don't open the doors. grin

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not still practicing your form and shooting you should be!!!!

Far to often we practice hard in summer and let things slide as the season moves on, I have actually ramped up my shooting the past couple of weeks. It only makes sense to practice even more when the peak of the rut nears so get out there and shoot!

We set a couple new stands on Friday & practiced shooting the 3D target from both of them where we expected the deer to come right then & there. Helps your confidence to make a shot you've already made. These stands actually overlook a lawn, so scent in the grass is not really an issue.

Falling into a swampy muck filled hole is only funny when its the other guy.

Ain't that the truth. grin

Now that the weather is getting cooler, you may want to consider backing off on the poundage of your bow a little. A long sit on a cold evening makes that bow a whole lot harder to pull back. I found that out the hard way.

Also, with the rut kicking in, don't overlook hunting during the middle of the day or even an all day sit.

Make sure to go grab your bow right now and check every screw and bolt on the thing and make sure EVERYTHING is tight. With you shooting your bow and driving with it back and forth from hunting things might of loosened up a bit since last time.

Somehow in the middle of me practicing my sight slipped just a bit because the bolt was loose causing me to shoot a foot low on every pin. If I hadn't of noticed I'd be out there hunting right now and could of shot right under a mounter at 20 yds.

Man I'd be sick, if this post helps 1 person it's worth it. Check your sights, rest, peep, loop, broadheads, ect, ect.

Better to find out now then in the field!!

With all the water around this year I wear my uninsulated rubber boots out to the stand while carrying my warmer boots. Then I switch once I am there. No reason to be sitting with wet feet!

Here is a tip for ya... You can learn from my mistake.

I had a buck chasing a doe a few nights ago about 100 yards out, they turned and started running towards me. I drew back as they kept coming. When the doe got about 20 yards out I stopped hey by making a bleat sound. Everything sounds perfect, except for the fact that when I stopped her I was not looking through my peep yet. By the time I found my spot to shoot at the small buck bumped her again and I missed my opportunity.

Moral of the story... Be on your spot and ready to shoot (looking through your peep) before you stop the deer. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Late season and early spring are a good time to find next years archery buck, get out there and scout!!! Even if you think you know your land inside and out it doesn't hurt to take a walk, you might be surprised at what you find.

Look for large tracks and take note of any bucks that have survived the rifle season. It's also a great time to find a new honey hole, which is most often an overlooked or hard to get to location with zero hunting pressure. Dive into those bedding areas to learn more about them and find new land (public or private) to hunt next season. It is also nice to be able to go anywhere and do anything without worrying about messing up your area with scent.

It's a pretty good feeling to find big rubs and fresh (big) tracks in an area after rifle season, it gives you that much more confidence going into next season. Now is the time to learn about an area, not in the late summer or fall.

Don't forget to thank your landowners this Holiday season. Sure, they might not miss your card but they'll remember mine. wink

It's always appreciated when you thank someone for what they've done for you.

Great tip, a meat market gift certificate or some other nice gesture will pay huge dividends. If you're a landowner reading this who has a crop damage problem due to nuisance deer and enjoys ribeyes and racks of ribs on the grill, contact me - I'll handle it! grin

• 2 months later...

I now make it a point to practice shooting out of the tree stands I use. I missed a deer by a good five-seven feet and I mean MISSED. Thought it was my bow. Then I did it again????? crazy Switched tree stands and didn't feel as comfortable as my others and it really messed up my form bad. I don’t need to be up real high, just able to shot out of it and get the feel. Both times it didn't feel right. Just glad I didnt wound one. It was like what the $#%^, they were that bad.

Agreed! so many bowhunters overlook simply bringing a small block target out to their stands and practicing shots from above. And shooting from the porch or roof wont safice. great comment!

• 5 weeks later...

Spring Tip: Now is the best time all year to be out scouting! Cool temps, no bugs, no leaves, and all the deer sign looks just like it did last fall. You can easily make out trails, rubs, scrapes and beds and really get a full picture of last falls rut and the lay of the land.

Now it may very well be the case that the buck that left a lot of sign behind was shot last year, however if you can find a bucks core area he uses that area for a reason and another buck may take over so a good spot can pay off for years to come.

Good tip Bear. I burned another 4 hrs of shoe leather Sat looking for antlers and it sure is a great time to be in the woods. Still quite a bit of snow in some places - my legs are sore today!

I put in about 3 hours myself Sunday, no sheds but I found another little honey hole back in a swamp. Nice rubs everywhere and several beds with a lot of hair in them, I will probably have to pay this place a visit or two this fall.

Still quite a bit of snow in some places - my legs are sore today!

I was up in turtle lake sat. morning looking for sheds and toms, lots of snow, my thighs are still sore!! Gotta get in shape after this long winter of sitting on a frozen lake.

Planning to do some scouting turkeys/sheds/honeyholes myself this Saturday. Been waiting for the snow to be pretty well gone. Sprained one ankle really bad about a month ago & it's still not very good on uneven surfaces. Got to start building it back up though. Surprised but some of the deer still seem to be yarded even though the fields are pretty much bare now.

• 1 month later...