• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Archery Tip of the Week

harvey lee

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• Finlander

• harvey lee

• Christopher Quast

Yes, last year. I would hate to tell the story again but that just was not cool. I’ve only been bow hunting the last couple of years and this is one of the “learning” experiences you always remember. Or maybe this could be the tip of the week.

I was trying to find this public land for a couple of years but didn't know how to get to it. I finally found the road that brought me to the land. It was down somebody’s private driveway and would never have guessed. But anyway, it was the first time up in that tree and didn't get a chance to clear out all of the little sticks/branches. I tried early in the morning before daylight to try to get as much of the branches out of the way as I could when sitting. I thought I was good to go.

So as daylight approaches I hear crunch, crunch and then nothing for like 10 minutes. So I was like, no big deal. Then I heard crunch, crunch, crunch and I peaked over my shoulder behind me and saw this buck coming where I though no way would one come from there but I guess that’s what big deer do. So its coming fast with its head down and all I see is it's white antlers about 15-20 yards and like I said coming fast. So I quickly yet slowly stand up and move my bow so I could get a shot. Well, my arrow fell off of my drop away and went clang, clang, clang. The buck runs about 20 yards back and then stops. I can still see its outline but couldn't see much more then that. I thought great, he's going to go around me now. About 5 minutes later he comes back but on the other side of the tree. So I put my finger on my arrow so IT WILL NOT FALL OFF AGAIN and attempt to move my bow to the other side of the tree. Well, I hit a different branch and went twang, twang, twang. That time the buck just stared at me and didn't move. I didn't make direct eye contact but I could still see him out of the corner of my eye. He stared at me for like 1/2 hour, well more like 2-3 minutes and didn't see me move so he continued on. I had time to pull back my bow and wait for him to get past the thick brush. Well he didn’t get past the thick brush. He just stuck out his nose into the field and walked the other direction behind me. Well I said he has to come back because the only other way to get past me is through the open field. There's no way he's going to do that right? So as soon as he was out of my site, my cell phone RANG and of course it's in the bottom of my pack. Well, a guy from work is trying to get a hold of me (nobody was supposed to take vacation because of our workload but my boss was nice enough to let me go because I recently had twin girls and was not going rifle hunting by International falls this year). Well, let’s just say rather than walking by me, he traveled right through the middle of the field showing off his Tall, wide, symmetrical, Tall (did I mention that?) 10-point rack glowing in the morning sun in the middle of the field. I grunted a few times and he did come closer but then ran away. I think the cell phone might have thrown him off a little.

So this tip of the week is, do not have your cell phone on loud. Trust me.

I'm sure (or I hope) we have all had days like this.

I made the mistake of climbing into the stand with muddy boots. The mud dried while in the stand, of course the mud fell off my boot while moving to draw. I was like someone had dropped a big rock from 15 feet. Stupid

Nice tip Gamer, sorry you didn't get him. I was just curious to which drop away rest you have on your bow. It sounds like one we all might want to stay away from.

Put a piece of carpet on your platform and you wont regret it!!! Make sure to turn the phone off or on silent Gamer.

Sounds like your way overbowed too me. Obviously had a hard time making a smooth draw at crunch time. All too common of a problem in the archery world. Faster isn't always better Hitting your target is though!

Put a piece of carpet on your platform and you wont regret it!!! Make sure to turn the phone off or on silent Gamer.
Unless it rains/freezes, but otherwise yes. Zip tie it down so it doesn't slide out or fall off. Kicking your boots off before you climb is also a safety thing.

Archery tip of the week - Moment of Truth...

I had a chat with my dad before comming up with this weeks tip. We were talking about how well a friend does at 3-D competitions and the like but almost never seals the deal come hunting season. My father used to shoot alot of competitive archery and was fairly succesfull. Hunting wise he could be considered very succesfull - last season he harvested his 88th and 89th deer with archery gear. (yes all legal, he hunted NY and PA, usually takeing a buck in both states)

2 big things stand out as the deal breaker or maker at that final moment...

1) Being mentally ready. He always drilled into me when I was younger to be always thinking while on stand. ie, "if a deer comes down that trail and gives me a shot there im gonna take it." "but no need to rush it, I can still shoot here or stop him with a soft bleat in the next opening". The more I do this with each possible shot chance the less excited and paniky I get when something pops up unexpected...

2) Dont rush that final second. Sometime shot oppourtunities happen fast but always take that extra second to "settle the pin". When im at full draw and I have remembered to bend at the waist, set all three anchor points - tip of nose on string, thumb on right part of jaw bone, my minni kisser button(a few wraps of thread) is right in the corner of my mouth. I always say to myself "settle". Which brings my pin right to where I want it, top of the heart. Almost any time I have messed up and not made that perfect shot, undoubtedly I rushed the shot...

Great tip Dark Cloud!!! I think these things are easily overlooked at crunch time. This hits home for me because I remember when I had that first deer in front of me at 10 yds I completely butchered it just because back then I didn't know any better and now when a shot presents itself I do exactly what you do. I go through that mental checklist when I come to full draw minus the kisser button detail (don't use one)but especially pay close attention to bending at the hips.

Okay here's the one for Monday, 9/8. Then it will be up Monday right away instead of 11:00 when I remember...

9/8/08 Archery Tip of the Week

Figure out what type of hunter you are and what you want out of your season. What will make your season a successful season? If the only thing that will do it is a Booner or a P and Y buck, you probably better be pretty experienced and ready to deal with a high likelihood of disappointment. That’s fine if it is, just make sure you’re ready for that mentality. For some it adds so much stress to their season it takes almost all the fun out of it. Is that what you really want?

Don’t just say, I’m a trophy hunter and I’m only going to shoot a buck that scores at least XX”. Think about where you hunt, how many really good spots you have, what you’re likely to see, what your experience and skill levels are, etc. Decide if it will be a successful season if you pass on a couple of deer and don’t get one, or you’d be kicking yourself all off season if you let a nice doe walk on October 10th, or a decent 8 pointer on September 28th, or whatever your scenario is. For most hunters it’s a progression. It won’t necessarily change from season to season, more likely from one kill to the next.

For me I know I’m a dyed in the wool meat hunter that’s my core way of thinking. My wife told me a few days ago she didn’t see me ever really being a true trophy hunter, it’s just not in my makeup. It doesn’t mean I shoot the first buck that walks in range or that I have to shoot a buck every year, it did until I’d shot a few with my bow, then that started to change. It does mean I really want to get at least one deer every year with my bow. I’d really like it not to be a fawn or a buck less than 3 ½ years-old, but if I’m having a tough season & that marginal sized deer gives me a great shot say after Halloween, I might be shooting, that needs to be okay. Make sure you let yourself enjoy your season. If you’re mad because the big one didn’t come & you could have shot something else, you might need to change something, whether it’s expectations, locations, or sports is up to you…

It’s everyone’s personal decision, don’t let someone else make that call for you. You decide what you want to shoot & what makes your season.

Have a great hunt everybody.

Good post and also good perspective to look at hunting. If your not going to take the time during the season to enjoy it, then what is the point of going, just to get a trophy? yeah everyone would love to take a trophy but it's not the whole point of hunting. Thanks Rodd

I sometimes put alot of pressure on myself to harvest a book buck every year but i don't really get to upset if this does not happen. I harvest my does to eat and have a good time doing it.

A trophy buck is the bonus.

Every deer is a trophy - especially when taken by stick and string. You should have a lot of pride when you are successful by this method. Consider that you are stepping onto a challenging playing field in which your prey have every conceivable advantage (good thing they don't shoot back!). To be able to sneak in and have deer within bow range unaware of your presence is testament to your skills as a woodsman/woman.

Go get em!

I agree with this!!! I have always said, when you go out fishing...if you catch a fish that is a bonus!! If you go out deer hunting and see deer, I consider that success and if you have the opportunity of sticking one.....DOUBLE BONUS!!! After all that is what we go out for but I just really enjoy the outdoors and serenity of sitting along a cornfield or in the woods!!! Makes me tingle everytime I think of it!!! Good luck to all of you this season and be safe!!!

Scoot is out west and he asked me to place his tip of the week up.

Thanks Scoot.

Stretch Your Practice Distances for Better Accuracy at Shorter Distances

Shooting long range bombs can be really great practice and improve your shooting tremendously! I've got a sliding sight on my bow that has settings for shots out to 83 yards. Now, don't get me wrong- I'd never shoot at an animal at 83 yards. In fact, I'd never take a shot even remotely close to that long. However, I really enjoy practicing out at distances like that. It's really challenging and greatly improves your shooting at closer ranges, where you're likely to take shots at game.

Shooting at 20 yards all the time can leave you feeling like you're really reaching out there when you shoot at 40 yards. However, practicing at long range (60, 70, 80 yards) can really change your mindset and make you feel like a 40 yard shot is a gimme! Doing this will greatly improve your confidence at the end of your effective range. It might also stretch your effective range out a tiny bit too.

Now, I realize not everyone is set up to shoot at 60+ yards. Both equipment and facility limitations can be a problem. However, there are a lot of sights on the market that have many pins and some have sliding sight options as well (like I have). With a standard three pin sight, shooting out at 60+ yards isn't practical- so if your'e interested, keep your eyes open for good deals on sights. Facility concerns are a tougher one. I'm from a small town and I shoot in the very early AM on the football field. I get out there right after sunrise when everyone else is still fast asleep. I also can occasionally get access to an indoor soccer field that lets me shoot out to 60 yards. I've shot in old barns, storage sheds, and in the back room of a car dealership! You have to be a little inventive, but you can find places to safely shoot if you really try.

Once you've got the sight and the place to shoot, you just need to start flinging some arrows! It'll feel like a mile at first, but just be patient and trust that you'll figure out. Start at the first 10 yard increment above where you're already sighted in. For example, if you're sighted in to 40 yards, start at 50 yards. Then, move back in 10 yard increments. Keep in mind that little changes to your sight will result in big changes in where the arrow hits at long distances.

One thing I want to make clear is that I'm not advocating shooting at animals beyond your effective range. Also, exactly what your effective range is up to you to decide. But, keep in mind that shooting in the field will be much tougher, typically with more wind, elevation change to your target, animals jumping the string, etc. So... just because you can shoot volleyball sized groups at 70 yards doesn't necessarily mean that's a distance you should shoot at a deer from. Ethical shooting distances is an individual thing and a whole can of worms I don't care to start a debate on, but I just want to be clear I'm not telling you to go flinging arrows at animals that are too darn far away.

Get out and fling some arrows at long range. It's fun, it's different, and it's a challenge. If you don't take yourself too seriously and can have fun with the learning experience, it'll make you a better shooter. It just might make that 40 yard shot on that monster buck this Fall feel like a layup instead of a long range bomb!

Good luck and shoot straight!!!

Awesome tip Harvey. I am a one pin shooter and have mine set to right on at 20. A little higher and 30 and a little lower inside 20. I have toyed a little with 40 yard shots and been pretty accurate with them. At this point, though, I am aiming slightly over the 3d targets back, which threw me a little, but I got used to it. And it makes the 30 yarders seem simple. I agree with the reasoning that you never know when that monster buck will give you the 40 yard smackdown shot, so all the more convincing to practice long range shots.

One question for you, though, have you ever taken a 40 yard shot out of a blind? I am wondering how much the mesh would affect accuracy at that point if any? I haven't noticed a difference at 20 and 30 but I think I will leave a couple of windows so I can drop them completely open silenty if needed. My groundmax allows me to do this.

I cut a few well placed verticle strips out of the mesh of my blinds. Maybe just 3" wide, just enough to shoot through.

This also seems to keep the claustraphobia at bay also.

Makes sense DonBo. I will think about this and give it a try. I've also thought about just leaving a window or two where I might have to try longer range shots so I can just slowly drop it open and shoot right before the moment of truth. I would just unhook my bungie cord that holds it up in my Escape but a blind like the doghouse would allow for the same thing if you used a piece of camo duck tape to hold up.

Before I head to the stand(evening anyway) I shoot some 50 yard shots. Then go up to 20 and shoot a few more. My stand locations rarely give me anything over 25-30. Great for confidence.

I thought I'd put this little tidbit into this forum on tips. Make sure that you check yourself for deer ticks after the hunt and especially after posing with the animal, moving it from one place to another and or butchering it. I have had numerous run ins with the little devils when butchering them even after haning for a few days.

Tunrevir~

Don't overlook safety. I read a post from a thread in the deer-moose-bear forum where a guy admitted that he almost never wears a safety harness.

Archery guys spend a lot of time in trees. Might as well be safe while doing it. Here's some tips from the DNR:

• Never carry equipment with you while climbing. Use a haul line to raise or lower your gear. Make sure guns are unloaded and broadheads are covered prior to raising or lowering firearms or bows with a haul line.
  • Since most accidents occur when hunters are climbing up or down a tree, always use a climbing belt or safety line. Always use a safety belt or harness when hunting from elevated tree stands. Study manufacturer’s recommendations before using any equipment. Never use a rope to replace a safety belt.
  • Check permanent tree stands every year before hunting from them, and replace any worn or weak lumber.
  • Read, understand and follow the factory recommended practices and procedures when installing commercial stands. Inspect portable stands for loose nuts and bolts each time they are used.
  • Choose only healthy, living trees when using climbing devices. Rough-barked trees such as oak are best. Do not use a tree that is rotten or has dead limbs.
  • Never put all your weight on a single branch. Keep at least one hand and one foot on a secure place when reaching for the next hold.
  • Climb higher than the stand and step down onto it. Climbing up onto it can dislodge it.
  • Wear boots with non-skid soles, because steps or platforms can be slippery in rain, sleet or snow.
  • Tell a dependable person where you’re hunting and when you plan on returning. Map your whereabouts and leave a note at camp, at home or in your car so that you can be found.
  • Don’t fall asleep. This is a common cause of accidents. If you get drowsy, move your arms rapidly until you feel alert.
  • Never wear a ring in any climbing situation. Rings can catch on tree limbs and equipment.
  • As a precautionary measure, remove all logs, upturned and cutoff saplings, rocks and other obstructions on the ground below the tree stand.
  • Use updated equipment. When used properly, newer tree stand equipment is solid, safe and secure. Older models of safety belts offer some protection, but newer safety harnesses offer more protection.
  • Carry a whistle to call for help and carry a first aid kit, flashlight and cellular telephone in a fanny pack.

I'm not too proud to say that I've fallen out of a stand. Luckily it wasn't very high up and the ground was covered in soft pine needles. Felt like a moron though. I was younger and more foolhardy. Definately learned a lesson. It's always smart to review safety before the season starts, whether its gun safety or stand safety or operating your hunting shack's gas heater. People will say you died doing what you loved, but hey, you're still dead! Be careful out there this fall.

Da chise31.

"Don't overlook safety. I read a post from a thread in the deer-moose-bear forum where a guy admitted that he almost never wears a safety harness."

Thanks for the heads-up, friendly reminder, or what ever your true intentions (slap us around kind of warning) are but I will be getting a safety system before my next hunt.

mr

A guy doesn't have to mean you M-R (and didn't mean you in all honesty). Nothing but good intentions here. I care about my fellow man is all.

Glad to hear you are going to the safety system before the next hunt.

A guy doesn't have to mean you M-R (and didn't mean you in all honesty). Nothing but good intentions here. I care about my fellow man is all.

Glad to hear you are going to the safety system before the next hunt.

I knew exactly your intentions and I know it wasn't toward me personally but I took your advise seriously. Again thanks for stressing it to all that we need to not think just ourselves but the loved ones at home....two boys and a wife.

This is why I'm a member and participate on this forum because of the great advise.

mr

Good safety tips there da chise.

What I don't get is, why safety vests are SO expensive. Don't get me wrong, I've got one, and I use it, but dang! $100 is pretty average for a vest. I know you can get a harness cheaper, or free with many treestands, but for the most part, they are clumsy and difficult to use. I believe many just won't use them because of this. Don't you think the industry would do all they can to make sure as many people as possible will use them? Child safety seats for example can be had for next to nothing or free if you know where to look.

I know, $100 is pretty cheap insurance for your safety, but lets face it, not everyone can afford that.

I would guess it would be the cost of testing. For anything these days to be "tested & listed" by an independent third party cost major $$$$. Not a bad thing.

I bought one of those fall guy systems for one of the stands I use the most last year. I love it because I know I'm never detached from the tree at any time.