• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NETTING QUESTION

Fish Monger

Gary seems to me to be telling the truth.........why would he lie....all of his other posts seem pretty honest and straight forward so I don't understand why you all don't believe him? You have to ignorant to think this type of thing doesn't go on!!!! He told of an encounter he had at a landing and passed the info on that was given to him......

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gary Crichton

• kelly-p

• Jim Panfish Uran

• ozzie

My observation was not directed toward garyc's post, but rather fishmonger. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

gotcha......I understand when people don't beleive the my friends- friends' uncle snagged a net.......

Hey Vitalshot5, did you contact your CO friend and did he go down and check it out.

G.C.

Gary, I believe you. Those of you that attempt to discredit the posters here that are just reporting what they see are the ignorant ones. Why would Garyc or the fishmonger make a story like their's up? It is not to "stir up the pot" as some have suggested, but merely to inform their fellow fisherman that it is happening. I understand the resort owners have to quell these stories to keep their cabins full, but nothing is to be gained by deceiving yourself -- illegal netting has happened at least some (more than one) times this summer on Red and Winnie. I believe the stories about the netting. With the daily limits which were 10 and now 75, I totally see people using nets to make some quick cash.

Hey I believe you too, But he wasn't a Red Laker in the sense I thought of him being, you know, an enrolled member of Red Lake Reservation. That's the part I was arguing. I know everyone gets ticked off about this stuff but my only point is the fishing is still pretty darn good. I'm not out to bash anyone on here but feel that a voice has to be heard from the other side of the story. I'm native and darn proud of it, I hate hearing all the bad stories about us all the time and they take their toll too. But like everyone else on here, i like to go fishing and hunting and I abide by the rules. I'm not saying everyone is dissing the indians but in some cases it's getting pretty close to that line ya know.

Nor do I try to either, and you should be proud, but there is no reason we can't ALL play by the sames rules. I am sure you put your pants on 1 leg at a time.

We are all EQUAL or should be treated as such. It seems like every race has its owns rules to govern by, and since there are a lot more races now then ever b-4, people are going to react negatively to the issues at hand. Yes there are a few bad apples in each race, that spoil it for the ones who are honest. You know the issue has been argued back and forth for a long time. Until we ALL get on the same page, this issue will not go away, and some will use and abuse it to the end if there is such a time.

G.C.

We aren't equal, we are two seperate cultures living in todays society. Some people hold on to whatever they have left, if they have the right to net, they do it. Nobody knows until they step their foot in the others shoes. Maybe that's how some people feed their families. Maybe they actually do give the fish to elders and friends. Like you said this issue will never go away,but I don't think we'll ever "get on the same page" unless every last right we have as a tribe is stripped and we are fully "assimilated" into your great law abiding society. There is always bad apples so don't assume that everyone with a net is out there trying to rape the lake so you can't enjoy your vacation.

Wow I have read your post a few times and I do have issues with some of your statements. I am not here to start a war with you as you seem to be a concered and honest person regarding the issues at hand.

I will leave you with this. Who screwed up Red Lake and who fixed it.

G.C.

"Who screwed up Red Lake and who fixed it."

Where do you want to start "garyc"? Do we talk about the Red Lake Bands netting or the gill nets set in the rivers during the walleyes spawning run by white "sportsmen"? Do we talk about the bootlegging of walleyes by members of the Red Lake Band or the organised bootlegging of walleyes by white "sportsmen"? Do we talk about 500 Red Lake Band members netting or 20,000 white sportsmen "double dipping?

As far as "who fixed it" the Red Lake Band has done just as much if not more then the MN DNR to bring the walleyes back.

A suggestion to you "garyc". If you wish to start this arguement on this forum you better have more facts and less rumors. Because I know the facts.

addition

Furthermore "garyc" why are your questions about netting on Winnie being posted on the URL Forum?

NOW, I'm starting to smell rotten fish with garyc's latest.

As far as blame for Red lake going sour a decade or more ago, I'd lay part of it at the feet of my in-laws who took many double-dips and triple-dips off their pontoon years ago. Blonde, blue-eyed Swedes.

You folks from the metro blew it when ya decided to fight all the way up the legal chain regarding tribal rights on Mille Lacs. Ya blew it. Cooperation and compromise on Red has resulted in a better, growing fishery.

It sounds to me like Kelly-P is the one maybe doing the bashing on here; yes, he is one of the moderators of this blog,with authority to report others, in particular, but does that give him the right to ask rhetorical questions with pejorative connotations to bash honest posters like GaryC, fishmonger,and others? I think Gary-C made a legitimate point for posting on URL forum about a netting concern on Winnie -- they might be related incidents, by the same people. It is legitimate to point these things out on a post like this so other people can be on notice that it is happening, whether it be the DNR, tribal police, resort owners, or anyone in the public. The way a criminal enterprise is stopped is not by reporting one incident of illegality, but by raising concern of many people -- that is what Gary-C and others have done. As far as what happened in the past, it should stay in the past. It was the 70's and 80's -- we know much more about the environment and conservation now. Mike-L is probably right about us city folk appealing the tribal rights on Mille Lacs in the late 1990's. But even worse was the decision that the Supreme Court made at that time. They should have at least made a rule that the netting should not take place during the spawning periods, as I can see nothing else that would damage a fishery more than netting during the Spring. But keeping this post about URL, in particular, lets make sure this never happens...Again like it did in the 70's and 80's.

"It sounds to me like Kelly-P is the one maybe doing the bashing on here;"

7 years of misinformed people reporting the rumors they heard as the truth on this forum can so that to a person. How many times do we have to go thro this very same discussion?

"I will leave you with this. Who screwed up Red Lake and who fixed it."

That comment by "garyc" is nothing more then dragging up the past to pick the very same fight.

I can find nothing posted by "garyc" about his concerns about netting on Winnie during the same time frame he posted on the URL forum. If he is concerned about netting on Winnie why isn't he posting about netting on the Winnie forum?

"It sounds to me like Kelly-P is the one maybe doing the bashing on here"

are you serious? You didn't mention my name and I have been voicing my opinion pretty harshly at times.

"It was the 70's and 80's -- we know much more about the environment and conservation now."

that doesn't mean it's not happening, you know, the double and triple dipping thing.

And the whole who ruined red lake and who fixed it thing?? Come on, that sounds like a statement my old lady would make. She'll bring up the time I stayed out all night drinking every time we get in an argument. It always comes back to the same ol' thing.

I'm an angler and I don't like to see people netting in the spring but it happens, and I just live with it. Fish a different lake if the fishing is that hard or that bad. I'm not even from Red Lake or Leech Lake for that matter, but the whole bashing on Tribal netting is like nails on a chalkboard to me. If you think for one minute bashing tribal netting on here is going to get you anywhere, your nuts.

Do you honestly think gary's comments are new and that he is raising a concern that nobody is already talking about? If you are going to get mad about somebody netting on Lake Winni, do you right a letter to Gordon Brown???? At least get it on the right forum and raise concern to the right group of people. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! have a great day!

"That sounds like a statement my old lady. She'll bring up the time I stayed out all night drinking every time we get in an argument." That's hilarious, thanks for adding some humor to this string. I think our wives may be related.

Hello and good day to you all,

My reason for posting on this forum he because it was a RED LAKE person who are not allowed (am i correct) to net on Red. I then run into this person from RED LAKE netting on Winnie. Where would you suggest I post it under the Entertainment forum.

Since this argument will have no ending and no one will be happy.

Going forward and your tribes are going to continue to net even though theres proof netting hurts fisheries, the least your people can do is modernize your nets like I heard about in Canada. They seem to be satisfied up there. You went from canoes and lanterns and spears to big boats and moters and spotlights to improve your sucess, the least you can do is modernize your nets and stay up with the improving times.

Kelly P. you seem to have a grasp on this, and an interest in the future for your business. Have you seen this nets in operation or have you even considered trying them out.

Leechbait WOW you are such a racist. YOU are a human being just like the rest of us. Sorry to disappoint you. You are nobody special, just like me, except for you thinking.

Have a good day.

G.C.

There is and old saying. Treat others as you would treat yourself. I can say I have called 1 other person in my life that. I didn't enjoy it and did not enjoy this. Don't you wish you could see things on this issue, change for the better for all sides(not people) or do you like it the way it is. If so my fellow FM-er it will be long long lifetime battle.

G.C.

P.S. What is wrong with Deer River.

By the forum rules Gary I would edit your statement on Leechbait and keep the thought to yourself. There are no name calling on the forums.........that is uncalled for and I think you should just agree to disagree on this heated subject as nothing unfortunatly will come from this conversation especially with name calling and blaming of others. I do not agree with netting but by law at this point in time we have to live with it. Thanks

I just spent a week at the cabin which is on Lake Winnie. I ran into 2 people from Red lake who were just lanching there boats at the public landing around dusk. I asked them what are you doing. They said going fishing. Where are you from . Answer The red lake area. I said I see you are using nets., and he said yep.I then asked them how many do you get a nite. Answer this is my 4th nite here. I have caught 150 so far in 3 nites. He also said there were other groups working the SW side and all were from red Lake. I did contact the DNR and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

This is a bunch of BULL> I mean I work so I go in vacation and try to catch some fish and stay within the regs. I am trying for 6 walleyes and these people are taking 8 times that amout with no size restrictions. I pay my fees and work hard to get 6 in the slot size. To them it does not matter.

So please don't worry to much about the netting up there as most are down on Winnie....................

I think I will start making up my own regs.

G.C.

have fun man

Hello and good day to you all,

My reason for posting on this forum he because it was a RED LAKE person who are not allowed (am i correct) to net on Red. I then run into this person from RED LAKE netting on Winnie. Where would you suggest I post it under the Entertainment forum.

Since this argument will have no ending and no one will be happy.

Going forward and your tribes are going to continue to net even though theres proof netting hurts fisheries, the least your people can do is modernize your nets like I heard about in Canada. They seem to be satisfied up there. You went from canoes and lanterns and spears to big boats and moters and spotlights to improve your sucess, the least you can do is modernize your nets and stay up with the improving times.

Kelly P. you seem to have a grasp on this, and an interest in the future for your business. Have you seen this nets in operation or have you even considered trying them out.

Leechbait WOW you are such a racist. YOU are a human being just like the rest of us. Sorry to disappoint you. You are nobody special, just like me, except for you thinking.

Have a good day.

G.C.

yeah i'm such a racist man, come on now. a person sticking up for his rights and I'm the racist.

I've gone over this a few times through the time i've been on this site and I always will, your fairly new to the site so I guess it was just your turn at arguing about netting, somebody has to throw the wrench in there.

Your right Ozzie, like I stated I am not that way. I refuse to lower myself to that class of people.(but i guess i did a little here).

Leechbait I am sorry. You are entitled to your opinion, as much as I am. This argument has gone on for years and years. I may be new to this forum, but have following it for a while b-4 signing up, checking and listening to other Fm-ers and there thoughts and ideas.

Unfortuantly this topic has always gotten to me, and the only way to correct the problem is to work together, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. I guess this applys to the rest of the world to as WARS seems to be the norm.

If I offended anyone I am sorry.

Leechbait what is wrong with Deer River.

Take care

G.C.

Sorry Gary...been on a vacation..,.yes i did let my CO buddy know what you said....and his exact word were.....(It is nearly impossible to catch them unless their caught in the act, and the easy way to catch them in the act is for people to pick up the phone and call him personally or call TIP when it is happening).....so in otherwards maybe instead of waiting until days after the fact and complaining about it on a website....maybe you should have got off your butt and made some phone calls.

I agree vitalshot, if somebody saw a robbery or an abuction or some other act of violence Im sure the first thing they would do would to be call the authorities. So what I want to know is why they didnt do it when they see somebody supposedly taking what we all charish and are trying to protect for future generations. I hope next time whoever supposedly saw this act will call the local CO and help with their part in the conserving of the fishery for years to come.

Hello, the people who live there year round have done that and the reply was nothing can be done. I did not call as I was told it will do no good. I do have TIP on my cell phone and would not hesitate to call but was told they have been notified.

Now the answer you received about catching them in the act is hard, I don't see that as a big problem. The nets go out around dark and they retrive them b-4 morning. They launch right at a public landing. What is so difficult about that. The only difficult part is being at the landing. Of course they would have to actually show up.

Believe what you want, I really don't care. I have seen and tried to do something. Nothing has been done b-4 I saw, and nothing will be done in the future.

G.C.

What have you tried to do?? post your complaint on a forum.....you HEARD nothing would be done....if your so concerned why don't you get off your butt and try yourself.......your full of he said he did bull....you need to try I said I DID instead of pawning it off on someone else....take responsibility or don't complain...enough said

Hello, the people who live there year round have done that and the reply was nothing can be done. I did not call as I was told it will do no good. I do have TIP on my cell phone and would not hesitate to call but was told they have been notified.

Now the answer you received about catching them in the act is hard, I don't see that as a big problem. The nets go out around dark and they retrive them b-4 morning. They launch right at a public landing. What is so difficult about that. The only difficult part is being at the landing. Of course they would have to actually show up.

Believe what you want, I really don't care. I have seen and tried to do something. Nothing has been done b-4 I saw, and nothing will be done in the future.

G.C.

There seems to be some confusion and mixing of topics going on here. I think the situation you are describing in this post ocurred on Lake Winnie on the Leech Lake Reservation (correct?). The reason nothing is being done is that band netting is a legal activity on the LLR.

The situation described to start this topic was on Red Lake where netting is not a legal activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everybody, it's been a while since I been on, it's been a crazy, busy, fun summer...hows the bite on Upper been, I hear its real good on our side...I felt Deja Vu all over again as I read these comments...