• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Southwest MN Fishing Club Walleye Tournament

Southwest Minnesota Fishing Club is putting on the King Turkey Day Walleye Tournament on July 26 on Lake Okabena at Sunset Park on the southwest end of the lake in Worthington. Check in starts at 6am and shotgun start at 7:30am with weigh in at 3pm.

1st place- $700

2nd-400

3rd-300

4th-200

5th-125

6th-75

7th-10th- 50

Based on 50 entries at 80% payback.

There are spots open and you can enter the morning of the tourney.

To guarantee entry send team member names (2 fishermen per boat) and registration fee of $50 to:

Southwest Minnesota Fishing Club

P.O. Box 4

Worthington, MN 56187

Any questions about tourney are directed to these numbers:

507-360-8565 or 507-360-3973

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eric Wettschreck

• muc33

• riverrat56

• idratherbefishing

Thanks for the info Bill, I have neglected my duties to inform and you have saved my tail. Thanks.

hey just a dumb question but is there any regs on this turnment, i have fished in a couple of flw turnments this year just curious if i can enter or if there is a claus stating no angler that have fished pro, running into that at a few turnaments

Call the number and find out, but I don't think so. There are no qualifying requirements to fish the flw are there? If I can enter that, I should be able to enter this. But call the number and check. I know other guys who have fished tours and fish the SW Mn tournaments.

there is a few regs you have to fallow, but some turnments that are up north state that if you have fished as a pro in a pro am turnment, you are not allowed to fish in some turnments. i will call that number. it would be fun to fish in a turnment down there, only fished down there once this year while visiting family and did reall well. miss fishing sw minnesota

Even the tournament director used to fish some MWT tournaments in the past couple years, and I know of at least 5 to 10 others that have hit some other tour events and they fish it. Heck I think if Ted Takisaki wants to show up, the club will take his money too. But call to be safe.

I dont think it would be a problem. Come one, come all! Always a good and well put together tournament to fish. Check out the latest lake survey for Okabena on the MN DNR website Lake Finder, pretty good population of walleyes in the lake right now, just have to make them bite! I think the weigh in time might be 2:30pm instead of 3 this year. I'll have to check for sure.

That weekend is still a bit up in the air for me so I can't pre-register. I do, however, very badly want to make this tournament. Hopefully things will swing in my favor and I'll see yous guys there.

can someone tell me abit about the southwest mn fishing club like how to join what is the cost to join i guess just a little basic info is what i am after.

thanks

corey vdb

15 dollars is all a membership is. Call one of the numbers Corey and you will get taken care of. And they can answer all of your questions. Long standing club, I am proud to be a member.

Hey Boiler, if'n you are looking for a partner, let me know, we could have some fun.

Dude, you arn't in??? No boat??? If I can show I'll let ya know. Don't know yet, give me a few days after the catfishing GTG and I'll let ya know.

I have floatation, but just checking if you needed a partner. Plus if you wanted to get in with me, I could fish in the newly finished boilerboat.... I will cover the gas.... likely in more ways than one. Let me know and good luck with the Kitties at the GTG.

Are there any FMers planning on fishing this tournament? Come on Boilerguy!

CCFC, I'm in. I have not registered yet, tho. I'll call one of the fellers tomorrow.

I don't have a partner so iffin you want in the SS Boiler, jump on in. We'll have a good time as long as you chew on some Beano prior to the event.

I would be interested but they should have planned it around Beavers Backyard Bash. So im a no go unless things dramatically change.

Were there any fish caught at the tourney?? Anybody have any results??

Kevin

Im sure there will be results posted on Saturday after its over.

Lake Okabena is a mud bottom prairie pothole lake with an average depth of 6-7 ft. Years ago it was dredged out in places so on the east side of the lake there is a 12 ft hole and same on the west side 10-12ft. On part of the north side there is an area of sand and also a smaller dredged hole to about 8-9ft. Very little emergent vegetation, there are some weed beds out in the middle of the lake. The grade on the southwest side of the lake is a spring and fall hotspot for casting jigs and cranks. Okabena is stocked regularly with walleye fry and according to the latest dnr lake survey there is a healthy population of walleyes. Trolling cranks is the most widely used method for catching Okabena walleyes. Planer boards can be useful. I have had success pulling spinner rigs and crawlers or leeches but you have to contend with the bullheads and channel cats. There are some nice fish in the lake and average size this year for me has been 17-20". Past results for this tourney have been mixed. Last year was tough, the two years before that were decent. Hope this helps. Good luck and see you Saturday morning.

Kevin, get a partner and come down and fish it! There are still spots available.

I'll pose the question to all yous guys out there.....Who feels like knocking Team SW MN Forum Moderators off the podium?!?!?!? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

Muc 33 and I are teaming up for this one. Get out there and show us up!!!

For what it's worth, the last 2 days when I get to work the walls are absolutely covered with Mayflies. Hint, hint, hint.

I got a fishing report this morning. The bite has been tough. This could be good or bad. It has to pick up eventually.

Thanks for the info guys, we will see you saturday morning, Boilerguy and muc33, how about a side pot between our two boats for biggest fish? Or at least a battle of the forums, winner gets to brag for awhile....?

How about winner get's to keep this fish house I'm supposed to pick up?

easy now! I do know where to find the plug in your boat and also how to disconnect the bilge....... (evil chuckle)

Let's keep things tame. We can discuss at the Friday night meeting.

For the record, there may be more sheniganins than fishing happening on SS Boiler.

I doubt we will be able to make the Friday night meeting it's 2 hours down there from my place. I agree with keeping things tame I was just giving Muc33 a little slack! Our boat will also probably be a little less than serious!!

I will fill you in on the meeting in the morning. No need to drive down if you don't want to. Unless you wanted to not have to wake up so early. You make the call. Did I give you my cell? They are doing some road construction to the grade on the lake and not sure if they will have it done by Saturday, I will find out more and may have to direct to the landing a different way.

Don't let them off too easy Boiler, they are messing with the master of hyjacks!!! I agree, don't expect too much from Boiler and I, unless you are guaging gas and fun! Let's have some fun. And try to catch some fish in the mean time.

Don't be misled when I say let's keep it tame. My version of tame is pretty darn wild by comparison to some others.

Yeah it's a tournament but boilerguy is all about the fun. With any luck muc and I will manage to catch a fish or 2 in the process of goffin off.