• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Fillet Knife.

bogwalker

Question

I like a knife somewhat flexible for pannies. My Cutco reall gets the job done very well. It really helps in taking the rib cage out without damaging meat.

I got a Cutco brochure, and catalog,in the mail today.The price for their fillet knife is cheaper than the Leech Lake knife.Not bad for a knife with a forever warranty. smile

An economy knife look to the new black blades in the Rapala. If you can locate one grab the special edition Rapala Muscinie steel with the serrated back...super knife.

A more costly set of knives but well worth it is the Alaskan Outfitters 2 knife set. Amazing steel, razor edge with a few wipes of a steel.

My Kershaw was probably the best fillet knife for the $ I have ever had. I see no need to pay more than $50 on a fillet knife these days. I dont care how good the steel is or the guarantee. I will lose it before the guarantee is up anyways. grin

Most of the time I use my electric and I seem to have that down pretty good now. Those knife dulling pannies dont bother me any more.

I do have a old Chicago Cutlery fillet knife that has been great. It came in a set we got over 20 years ago and still holds a good edge. Just not much metal left but its more flxible now.

Northlander, Ive never used a electric fillet knife is there a learning curve with one. I'm not the greatest at filleting especially going through the ribs so I finess around the ribs like I'm deboneing a bird.

I'm really interested in getting one but I'm worried the action may be fast and harder to control.

Ya there is. You have to take your time so you dont zip through the backbone especially on small fish. Once yo have done a few dozen fish of each kind you get the hang of it.

Get a rechargable if you can. The corded ones last a long long time but the cords are a pain to have hanging in the way.

I also like the ones with pointed tips not square.

Ditto on using the electric,Northlander.Nothing beats the ol' green Mister twister electric.The Cutco may be a good knife, but not in my sights right now.All I am doing is window shopping. Got plenty of the ol' Rapala blades laying around my place to use.

I started using the electric/battery operated fillet knife that my brother in law had and I think they work great. It took a couple fish to get the hang of how they work, but if you can handle a fillet knife I think you will pick up on using on of those pretty quick.

If they would make a rechargeable and 12 volt together(if possible), you would have the best of both worlds. Cords are a pain but if you run out of juice on a remote fishing trip with no electricity, that 12 volt hole in your boat is real nice to have. Had this happen on a trip that we were weight restricted so brought one rechargeable, ended up using a non electric the rest of the week which brought us to more catch and release!

I felt I did a better job if not rushing with an electric. My $.02.

There is the biggest issue with the battery operated fillet knife, battery life. I don't think there is one out that has a really good battery life, well something that is going to last a week of good fishing.

Thanks for the thread bogwalker and thanks for the input all I'm gonna invest in a rechargeable knife.

Also I thought I would mention the have those converters now that you can plug into a cigerate lighter for charging or for ac power supply. I forget what they are called

Also I thought I would mention the have those converters now that you can plug into a cigerate lighter for charging or for ac power supply. I forget what they are called

Just FYI, the converter you are talking about is called an Inverter.

-Gregg B.

Anybody see the "How to Fillet a Walleye" video on the Minneaplois newspaper site??

It was a folding, serrated edge knife?? I was impressed the way it cut through the rib bones and still sliced out the rib bones so easily.

Harvelee, how much does the Cutco knife run????

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I was told this was the knife to get, just recently!  ?  

Wusthof Classic 7 in. Fillet Knife

By Wusthof 

Rated 5 out of 5 stars.

$129.95

image.thumb.png.204b4ac466366772617311c9653fa6da.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

buy me one and I will test it

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

still using my leech lake knife............

If I could afford a $129 Wusthof.  I'd get the Leech Lake knife instead!  I stare at them every time I'm in Reeds, but just can't pull the trigger so I keep using one of the other 5 cheap knives I have. ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, the odd times I keep a few I been using a electric.... but will break the old Cutco out from time to time?

20200121_155238.jpg

• l Love It 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Bubba is one of the newest ones to hit the market. I haven't tested one yet but hopefully someone has. I have a  few different ones Old Henry, Rapala, Cutco. And a couple elctrics. Have to Agree with Rick G on this one hands down the best I have used is still the Cutco for a manual knife and for the best bang for buck the Mister twister for a electric.  Tough to beat a leech Lake  for looks and  Craftsmanship just haven't wrecked the Cutco yet. My next one will be the leech. We have a set of the Cutco knives for ordinary cooking and I love them. Was a little upset when wife bought the set because u could almost buy a small car for the price ? But they have proven themselves over and over again and she made a believer out of me. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

If I could afford a $129 Wusthof.  I'd get the Leech Lake knife instead!  I stare at them every time I'm in Reeds, but just can't pull the trigger so I keep using one of the other 5 cheap knives I have. ?

I have 4. bought them from reeds at the ice show and never paid more then 80 bucks each...….but that was years ago. no electric knife for me. moisture and electricity don't mix!!!!!!

• Yayyyy 1

9 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I have 4. bought them from reeds at the ice show and never paid more then 80 bucks each...….but that was years ago. no electric knife for me. moisture and electricity don't mix!!!!!!

Well, gooood for you!  Now their like $108 bucks at Reeds.  ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

11 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Well, gooood for you!  Now their like $108 bucks at Reeds.  ?

Then don't go to Scheels. 108 is a sceaming deal for what they want for them  just for the sake of clarification I have  2 if each, short and long.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Then don't go to Scheels. 108 is a sceaming deal for what they want for them  just for the sake of clarification I have  2 if each, short and long.

$129 at Scheels it looks like.  That's a lot of minnow and gas money!  ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

$129 at Scheels it looks like.  That's a lot of minnow and gas money!  ?

Not really.  It’s about 1 tank of each these days. ?

• Yayyyy 3

I normally use my electric. I resisted for a long time before finally caving and getting one. I don’t clean a lot of fish and it allows me to still do a good job when I am out of practice with the manual knife. 

For regular knives I have a Leech knock off I got at a sports show about 15 years ago. Works decent and has good flex. I also have a couple rapalas and just picked up a Bubba. I haven’t tried the Bubba yet but have seen them in action in a cleaning house and they seem to do a good job. I picked up a Bubba gut hook knife before last deer season and that thing is scary sharp and held a decent edge offer gutting and splitting the chest of a couple deer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You want a flexible knife for filleting. Are you having trouble getting the meat of the whole fish or the fillet off the skin? I've found it helps to have the fish on a 2X8 or 2X10 on top of a table rather than just on the table. It helps your fingers go below the level of the fish to adjust the angle of the blade better.

I checked on when I bought my Leech Lake Knife last night. It was 2000 at the Sportshow in Mpls. Don himself engraved the date and personal inscription. I have stopped going there to get it sharpened. Do they still do that? I found I could keep it really sharp by touching it up on a steel a few times a year. I bought 3 more of these knives for my fishing buddies and lifelong friends.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1