• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

All though Black’s post was very informative, I would say he raised good questions about how effective this program would be in an end result.

It is all cool by me to have the stamp as an option for anglers and stamp collectors to purchase, but like said before this could be trial run for the real thing. If everyone goes out and buys a walleye stamp, you can bet your bottom dollar you will have to purchase a walleye stamp in the next couple years to legally catch a walleye.

I just think it is an open avenue to a $50-$100 MN resident angler license. I know some would pay this much to fish (that is the scary part about it), but many would not or they would just fish with out a license. How would this help the situation?

$5.00 is only $5.00, but the following year, $10.00, the next $20.00 three years after this and another $40.00.

Hey, its just an extra $40.00 bucks grin.

"Bunny, do really want to fish this year?" grin

I know I am exaggerating a little bit.

Right on Josh, this is what, I believe, everyone is getting to. It is only $5. But everytime they add $5 here or there, it keeps adding up. I just wanna know where the current money goes and what they would do with this.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• croixflats

• Grant Pearson

• BigWadeS

It is all cool by me to have the stamp as an option for anglers and stamp collectors to purchase, but like said before this could be trial run for the real thing. If everyone goes out and buys a walleye stamp, you can bet your bottom dollar you will have to purchase a walleye stamp in the next couple years to legally catch a walleye.

Oh I agree this is just a trial run for a mandatory stamp, but not because everyone is buying them. I predict few people will buy them and therefore Senator Chaudhaury will propose a bill to make it mandatory.

Propose a stamp to maky you pay for something they already do....

Then take the equivilant $$$$ away from the dnr budget to use it for some other social(ist) project.

We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book.

To them the rest of us will always be sheep.

Did he really say "support this program without question"? Ah, become the useful idiot Stalin was talking. Sorry kid I don't mean to destroy your ideals but there is no Santa, the tooth fairy isn't real and never ever trust the government to do the right thing. They are forced to appease too many different factions to get anything right.

How about a Guiding Stamp? Seems to me that it is too easy to become a guide and take advantage of a resource that tax dollars are forced to replenish. When you get a chance, read about what it takes to be a guide in Florida. Seems to me that they have a better handle on the resource.

As for a Walleye Stamp, seems kinda silly. Maybe budget a little better.

Propose a stamp to maky you pay for something they already do....

Then take the equivilant $$$$ away from the dnr budget to use it for some other social(ist) project.

We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book.

To them the rest of us will always be sheep.

thats what I was trying to say earlier glad some else see's what will happen

I see people saying I'll pay it. Well ofcourse we'll pay it if we have to. The thing is we shouldnt have to and we must stand against it in order to prevent a shell game on us

Neighbor guy was close with the quote

"We have to think of it as politicians, not outdoorsman. We think with our heart and our emotions. They think with thier pocket book."

In the politicians eyes it is our pocket book that they are thinking with!!!

I have no problems with the "Optional Stamp" as long as it stays that way, and I might even buy one, but we are being taxed way too much as it is IMO.

When are our legislators going to realize that without money in our pockets there will be no need to stock the lakes because we will have no money to buy gas or bait and there will be no fishermen on the lakes anyway.

A trial period sounds a lot like short term tax put on until the Item is paid for, Like say the Metrodome and isnt that tax still in effect?

I know trial is different than a short term tax but it still is a back door

Hey "old guy/s" you should just be used to paying taxes and paying for a billion different things... I am 23 by the way and just trying to lay down a valid point... the point being who gives. If you like walleyes buy it, if you dont and wanna talk about every possible tax and complain about a thousand things, then do it and dont buy the stamp I dont care honestly.. in todays outdoor news there is a nice piece telling about minnesotas walleye stocking and figures golare... dont sit here acting like i am 5 with the santa clause and tooth fairy [PoorWordUsage] i dont buy it. Anyone can do whatever they want to do.. i'll buy the stamp. I'll buy two.. and let the gov't do what they want, at least I feel good about myself..

Its a gennetic disorder that will happen to you, enjoy life without it while you can

.... i'll buy the stamp. I'll buy two...

Hey, buy me one too!!! laugh

Cause like I said before, I'm out, not buying it, cant make me.....

Pick one up for me too! Just think how proud you'll be knowing all the good you've done.....j/k

Hey "old guy/s" you should just be used to paying taxes and paying for a billion different things... I am 23 by the way and just trying to lay down a valid point... the point being who gives. If you like walleyes buy it, if you dont and wanna talk about every possible tax and complain about a thousand things, then do it and dont buy the stamp I dont care honestly.. in todays outdoor news there is a nice piece telling about minnesotas walleye stocking and figures golare... dont sit here acting like i am 5 with the santa clause and tooth fairy [PoorWordUsage] i dont buy it. Anyone can do whatever they want to do.. i'll buy the stamp. I'll buy two.. and let the gov't do what they want, at least I feel good about myself..

I'm not bashing you at all, I think a lot of us had those thoughts once upon a time. How long have you been out of school? What do you do for a living? When you have a home and family and you look at your check and 40% is gone before you see it. Then you have to pay $700/month for insurance, you mortgage, car payments, daycare, utilities, etc. it's about 80%. Now add food, diapers and whatever else. You have a limited amount to spend. mad Now ask me again to buy a walley stamp?? crazy Ask me to buy something that is for a fish that is already concidered a game fish?? sick Nope, learn to budget like myself and everyone else in the human race has to. I've said it before. When we adopted a child my cost went up a lot. If I went to my boss and asked her for a an extra $10/check to cover diapers, what do you think the response would be? crazy We had to learn to budet and maybe, heaven forbid, do without some of the things we want. Cut down fishing, no plasma TV's, don't go out as much, etc. IT'S THE SAME THING!!!!! laughcoolwhistle

Oh yea, I feel great about myself. grin

"So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies." Laws can be changed, case in point is the money from the State Lottery. when approved the money made was to go to the DNR, now more goes to fund education than to the DNR. This will quickly be siphoned to other pet projects.

Maybe while you were or are attending UND...take an Econ class or Poli Sci. As Sandman stated, things change once we all grow up and have a family. Trust me, I can afford 5 bucks and some but as most have stated, we give plenty already.

"So the money can only be used for walleye stocking activities and NOT for bike paths or muskies." Laws can be changed, case in point is the money from the State Lottery. when approved the money made was to go to the DNR, now more goes to fund education than to the DNR. This will quickly be siphoned to other pet projects.

Bingo!

I can't say anything that I haven't said before about what is wrong with MN. Walleye stamp, you gotta be kidding me. Duck, trout... walleye?!

Next up: Crappie stamp! Pike stamp!

Then "Oh, since we're stamping everything that grows in a lake, were doing away with the stamps and "SIMPLIFYING" the angling license for the great state of MN, and just charging a $120 one time annual fee! Remember, vote for me!"

You can change that with your vote. Hmmmm, now what governor did that.....

One way they could use the money they have more efficiently is to completly stop all stocking efforts on red lake. I worked road construction in the area when the walleye fishing was closed and it was still very easy to purchase walleye fillets from the tribe members if you wanted to. If a lake is netted let the people who are netting it replenish the fish. If they miss manage it then they can harvest the suckers that will take over the lake when the walleyes are gone.

I can't believe the amount of complaining I'm reading on here....let me ask a question and let's all be honest with ourselves.....if we really love to fish, what will we do to continue to fish?...............The bottom line is that this thread (and entire web site) is about fishing and nothing else....so forget the rest of the [PoorWordUsage] and worry about what we are going to do to continue to do something we love, and want to pass on to the people who need to love it the same way we do..........**** a little food for thought*******YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE IN LIFE BECAUSE OF THE DECISIONS YOU HAVE MADE******* don't complain about being nickled and dimed to death because there's nothing you can do about it except for vote......and to put things in perspective.....AGAIN....ask yourself this..."Do I have a boat?"...next, "How much do I pay to have this boat??".....then, "How much is it worth to me??".....finally, "Can I still fish without a boat?".........the answer to the final question...a resounding YES!!!!!! so don't worry about the $5 dollars you are going to have to spend to fish our state's fish....and ask yourself some of the important questions about continuing to do something you love.....

There more you can do than just vote. You can have an open discusion on the subject. Then when enough people call their represenative and let them know this is not what we want then it just may not happen. So complaining can do good.

So ask yourself would you rather sit back and be rail roaded into something you dont want or Do something about it. I wont list the many things we have gotten stuck with because not enough people complained.

Some people get a little irritated when told what they should worry about, how to think, or what to believe in. In fact some might find it quit offensive when lectured to about anything. It's one thing to have a discussion on a subject of mutual interest. It's another to attempt to brow beat someone into your way of thinking. Go ahead and tell me what you think. I will listen and respect you for it. But don't tell me what to think.

I can't believe the amount of complaining I'm reading on here....let me ask a question and let's all be honest with ourselves.....if we really love to fish, what will we do to continue to fish?...............The bottom line is that this thread (and entire web site) is about fishing and nothing else....so forget the rest of the [PoorWordUsage] and worry about what we are going to do to continue to do something we love, and want to pass on to the people who need to love it the same way we do..........**** a little food for thought*******YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE IN LIFE BECAUSE OF THE DECISIONS YOU HAVE MADE******* don't complain about being nickled and dimed to death because there's nothing you can do about it except for vote......and to put things in perspective.....AGAIN....ask yourself this..."Do I have a boat?"...next, "How much do I pay to have this boat??".....then, "How much is it worth to me??".....finally, "Can I still fish without a boat?".........the answer to the final question...a resounding YES!!!!!! so don't worry about the $5 dollars you are going to have to spend to fish our state's fish....and ask yourself some of the important questions about continuing to do something you love.....

It isn't about $5 it is about continuing to give the state more of our money to waste. If that is OK with you feel free to send them as large of a check as you wish, I am sure they will accept it.

Originally Posted By: fishin4fun85

It isn't about $5 it is about continuing to give the state more of our money to waste. If that is OK with you feel free to send them as large of a check as you wish, I am sure they will accept it.

Upnorth is right as usual. I'm not whining, I'm sick of continually being asked for money. I pay my license fee every year and gladly pay it. Isn't that what this is for? I'm not worried about $5, it's the principle of the matter. All these people that keep saying, it's only this much or that much, I never see you writing a phat check to the cause no matter what the cause is. If you believe in it so much, then give extra. I like to help wildlife and have worked at the rehab center nursing animals back to health. I've played the big brother role to single family kids that I know. I do what I can to help out, but don't come begging me to do so.

I guess it sounds to me that the "complaining" is being done by the minority that feel like there should be no reason NOT to donate more money to the DNR.

What will I do to continue to fish? I'll get in my boat and go. I guess I still fail to see the gloom and doom of the future of fishing. People have always done it, and they always will. I'm still waiting to hear(short of Canada), what state offers better fishing opportunities than MN.

Maybe the question should be asked:

What will an additional 5 dollars per fisherman(before long, I'm sure it would mandatory for all), do to improve the walleye fishing in MN? Would it improve the opportunities to catch a walleye on LOW? Mille Lacs? Cass? Big Stone? The Mississippi? Ottertail? (insert your lake of choice here)? I suppose one could make the argument that we could fill more shallow, marginal waters in the southern half of MN with Walleyes, and aerate them for more opportunities for the winter months and until June when they weed up and turn pea green for the rest of the summer.

Will it save the DNR budget from going into the red from the vast sums of money spent now on Walleye stocking?

Somebody sell me on "What will it do".

Quote:
Somebody sell me on "What will it do".

Right on. But...

Too many taxes and fees get "sold" based on one thing, and then get unraveled by the next year's session so that the reason they got agreement to collect money no longer governs the fee or tax, so it then just becomes general funds that lose their audit trail. MN has one of the largest "general funds" in the nation (12th largest, vs. 21st in population) - we trail the majority of the nation in traceability and accountability for the tax and fee dollars extracted from each person's wallet.

Its not about $5, I'd pay it for now. But, to watch this state's people, including myself, get robbed over and over and over again without just causes that stand even the most feeble tests of time and common sense ... at the least, that is worth "complaining" about in MN, but I would call it healthy dissent instead.

If more people started rejecting tax and fee increases first based solely on MN's track record, this state might have a chance against the rest of the nation. But right now, MN is being left in the dust by more progressive states when it comes to public policy toward natural resources - and another fee will just cover it up for another few years.

Ironica example: As of last year in Utah, you can now fish TWO lines and the walleye limit went from 6 to 10 - where walleyes are not native! In MN, where walleyes are native and are stocked, we can't get past one line and they are talking about reducing the limit from 6 to 4.

I can find more than enough examples, like this one, across the country from the last 5 years to convince me MN DNR and our legislators are not up to the task of managing this state's natural resources. They may know the science and have PhD's in forestry and biology, but they get an F for fiscal management, public policy, and consituent accountability. They can stick any new fee where the sun doesn't shine, walleye stamp, whatever!