• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Stamp?

Boss Hogg

Has anybody heard of a possible Walleye Stamp?? Two different people told me this, and I don't know if they are trying to joke with me or not. However, it would not surprise me.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandmannd

• croixflats

• Grant Pearson

• BigWadeS

They will be an optional purchase to help stock more lakes with walleye's. I will be out next year. I have heard alot of people _______ about it. I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as it going to put more fish in the water for me to catch. Maybe the fishing gods will be happier with you and you have better success, but anyways it's just 5 dollars and not required to purchase it more like a donation.

I'd buy it... Just like the sturgeon tag that I will never use.

I read in the local paper that it is 5 bucks and it is Optional. It will be available for next season. The proceeds are supposed to go for stocking efforts.

I will gladly pay it, even if it was $10. Anything to help out the stocking efforts.

I read in the local paper that it is 5 bucks and it is Optional. It will be available for next season. The proceeds are supposed to go for stocking efforts.

Not to go off on a rant, but isn't that what our licenses are supposed to be paying for now. When is this state going to learn how to budget instead of coming after us for more money? mad I think it would be rediculous if you ever had to pay for a walleye stamp. Why don't they just make you buy a pike, muskie, cat, perch, sunfish, crappie, etc stamp for each and every species you want to catch. Give me a break already. I'm not saying I won't purchase it to keep up the stocking, but enough with this backwards state and all their dang fees.

I'm done now and going upstairs to get a soda. Who do I pay a fee to or where do I get a stamp to drink that? cool

Not to go off on a rant, but isn't that what our licenses are supposed to be paying for now?

Yes

When is this state going to learn how to budget instead of coming after us for more money? mad

It was one legislator that crafted this money grab, not the DNR

I think it would be rediculous if you ever had to pay for a walleye stamp.

I agree

Why don't they just make you buy a pike, muskie, cat, perch, sunfish, crappie, etc stamp for each and every species you want to catch. Give me a break already. I'm not saying I won't purchase it to keep up the stocking, but enough with this backwards state and all their dang fees.

This stamp isn't needed. If the DNR stopped stocking walleyes in poor locations they could use that allotment for the lakes where walleye stocking does work.

I'm done now and going upstairs to get a soda. Who do I pay a fee to or where do I get a stamp to drink that? cool

As long as there's no beer stamp we're good.

I would pay it to help the stocking efforts, it will either be in this form or an increase in license's. As far as having to pay for everything there is an easy solution how about we have to have a stamp for everything like for hunting for instance (small game, furbearer, deer, pheasant, waterfowl, ect...) maybe it will keep some and then maybe the ones that don't want to pay to play can go home and play tiddly winks and whine about something else......

Walleye are stocked more than all other species of fish combined. Is it really fair to the bass fisherman to have a good chunk of his license cost go to a species a fish he/she doesn't fish for? Stocking is expensive, it probably costs the DNR close to that $5 per stocked fish that survives to adulthood.

Quote:
it probably costs the DNR close to that $5 per stocked fish that survives to adulthood.

How did you come up with this?

Quote:
it probably costs the DNR close to that $5 per stocked fish that survives to adulthood.

I know it costs me way more than $5 to catch each one. Just makes sense that it costs the govt. that much to put it there in the first place... grin LB

Quote:

Something I read from the Wisconsin DNR where it costs between $2.50 and $3.00 per muskie fingerling. Walleye fingerling are cheaper but fewer survive (less than 1 in 10 survive on many lakes). Sure I'm estimating but I don't think I'm too far off.

I think I read in a walleye book that it's a 1 in a million chance for a walleye to make it to 8 lbs.

maybe the $5 should just be mandatory to fish walleye and in return we get a STATE regulated slot limit daily/possesion limit to help manage it also, one that each lake wouldn't have to have it's own

At this rate maybe we should just handle walleyes like deer and have everyone buy a $5 tag for each fish they catch. grin

maybe the $5 should just be mandatory to fish walleye and in return we get a STATE regulated slot limit daily/possesion limit to help manage it also, one that each lake wouldn't have to have it's own

That would be nice wouldn't it? I changed my mind. I'm all for it if I can use two lines. grin

Oh now he ditnt!!! mad

Oh yes he did!! whistle

Originally Posted By: BigWadeS

That would be nice wouldn't it? I changed my mind. I'm all for it if I can use two lines. grin

Oh now he ditnt!!! mad

Oh yes he did!! whistle

Go ahead use 2 just pay double then.....

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Originally Posted By: BigWadeS

Oh now he ditnt!!! mad

Oh yes he did!! whistle

Go ahead use 2 just pay double then.....

I'll just keep my walleye fishin' to the croix like normal. eek

so you think it won't apply to border waters then? so lets say this is just for in-land lakes and waterways, if it doesn't apply to border waters, don't bring up the whole state as you put it in your argument when you are looking out for your most common waters....

The stamp might, but I can at least use to dang rods out there.

So just so I have this right, you will pay more to keep stocking but use 2 rods to hurt the resource, talk about a hiporcritcal statement.....

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd

So just so I have this right, you will pay more to keep stocking but use 2 rods to hurt the resource, talk about a hiporcritcal statement.....

That's it, next time you're in my boat you only get to use a barbie pole!!!! laugh

Goofball. Is that why everytime (which is not very often) you catch a fish you stand up and scream "Get in my Belly!!!!" laugh "I want some fishy back, fishy back, fishy back ribs" cool

that's fine I'll use Maddison's barbie pole, probably have better luck on that dang thing anyway and you know I only get that excited about eating my catch if it's a sheephead.....

hey smartguy, at least I bring bait and snacks, so as long as I'm bringing that stuff I think I am gonna pick up a sponge bob pole too for my 2nd

I think someone's yankin your chain on a walleye stamp. The main reason, IMO, for the state stocking is to generate revanue through tourism. You put a stamp on walleyes that could backfire,People may deside to go to another state. Now if all states did this that would be fair. The talk of a stamp may be another way of saying tax(user fee). A stamp would make it easier realocate the funds they have now to some other venture.

A volunteer program will turn into a mandatory program in a very short time. The legislature just can't help themselves. A new fee or tax is like crack to them. And the chance to impose further regulation to something is what they live for.

As far as a state wide slot, I'm a little slow. Could someone explain the scientific advantage to the different walleye fisheries in the state created by having a one size fits all slot?

As far as a state wide slot, I'm a little slow. Could someone explain the scientific advantage to the different walleye fisheries in the state created by having a one size fits all slot?

I'm also waiting to hear this.

As soon as people stop netting walleyes the stamp might be benificial, however think about your 5 dollar investment landing in someones gill net.

I will pass if given a choice, or I will light a cigar with it.

A volunteer program will turn into a mandatory program in a very short time. The legislature just can't help themselves. A new fee or tax is like crack to them. And the chance to impose further regulation to something is what they live for.

Well said.

Just raise the price of the licenses instead of playing games. If the DNR needs more money they should justify why they need it and I'll be happy to pay more to help the fishery. They wanted to raise deer lic. prices last year and the only reason they gave as to why was that they hadden't increased the price in years. Show me what you'll do with the $$ or why you need it first.