• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mayfly Hatch and fishing report

I was up to Vermilion June 14-21 and there were a few mayflies on the water in the morning. Had a great time. Walleyes caught were 28", 27", 23 1/2", a ton of 19" and many 16 1/2". All of the fish were catch and released except a few that we ate. All of the fish were caught on twister tails including a bunch of smallmouth most of which went 16"-19 inches. Weather was good and it was just an all around good trip. We stayed at Glenmore Resort and found this to be very nice except the TV reception sucked. TV?? Weather reports and news are still important!!!! You people that live there are very fortunate, it's a beautiful area and I am very envious.

Is ther anyone out there that can tell me what fall fishing is like and when might be a good time to go??????

Thanks for the memories.

Capt. H (retired)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cliff Wagenbach

• adrenalinejunky

• lkvrmln-NilesBay

• vermilionwally

For the most part, fall is my favorite time of year to fish. Yea, the cold hands gets a little old, but those days that you can't keep the fish off the hook make it well worth it. I like being out there after the markers are removed from the lake. It seems like there are quite a few less people out there and the fish are still filling up. I am sure others will chime in on this one too...

I fished the east end near ely island friday the 4th night and saturday the 5th morning and night, fishing was real slow and mayflys were everywhere. we were fishing a rock hump near the island and ended the two day fishing trip catching 11 walleyes 11-18 1/2 inches kept 9 of the fish 14-16 3/4 inches we also cought 7 small mouth bass near dog island and also cought a small 20 inch musky inbetween two small islands east of rasberry island trolling a gold huskyjerk. all walleye and small mouth were taken with a 2 or 3 hook worm harnes with a hammered gold blade and a 3/4 - 1/2 ounce weight drifting .05 - 1.3 mph on the gps

josh

Fall fishing on Vermilion is probably the best time of the year!

Anytime after Sept.,15 is fall fishing time!

Cliff

There was another large hatch last night. It still did not affect the walleye bite! 53 boated today!

Cliff

cliff you seem to have it figured out better than i do glad to hear your putting fish in the boat.

josh

Josh,

Using a lindy rig with a 4' leader,#4 Gamagatsu hook and 1/2 crawler on the reefs.

Cliff

Sledneck and myself fished eyes for a few hours saturday evening-boated at least a dozen with 8 keepers 14-16 inches. Lindy rig with leech-18 to 22 feet on top and on the edge. The later it got there were more biters on top of the reef. Lots of fish and a ok bite-nothing bigger than 17.5"

Cliff

53 today, only 38 yesterday. You must have had a couple of real slugs aboard yesterday. Thanks for the great day on the lake.

Gary

Hey cliff

this was my first time to fish this lake, my father lives in soudan and he talked me into coming up, i dont want you to spill your guts on your hot spots but do you always fish the reefs or humps all year long? and if so is live bait your goto fishing method for this lake all season long? like i said new to this lake and would like to come up once or twice a year and actually have a chance to boat a few fish while doing so.

thanks josh

Cliff,

When you took A-Body (Gary) out did he try to auger a hole in the bottom of the boat? They guy only ice fishes so I wasn't sure how he would behave in a boat. Probably not very well....

WG....

WG

I represent that remark. Actually, it didn't take me too long to find out that Cliff had a door in the bottom of his boat that opened up to the water. I could see the fish swimming below the boat. I was able to jig thru the hole and catch one right after the other. Just like on the ice.

Gary

Josh,

I do not always fish reefs and humps,(just when the walleyes are there!) I also do a lot of shorline fishing and also fish the mud flats a lot when the fish are there. The areas fished depends upon where the fish are feeding.

I do use live bait exclusively! HATE trolling cranks!! Even if they are very effective!

Good Fishing!

Cliff

How can you hate trolling cranks? grin Thats the way i catch most of them.

Cliff,

I see you are getting many questions thrown at you, so here is another I have been asking,back in april a walley was caught in Devels Lake it was a new record 13lbs 3oz,what is the record for a walleye on lake Vermilion?..Thanks buddy.

Whats the newest report for mayflies and the walleye bite? Where the eyes hiding these days?

spent the last week on the westend. The walleyes were hitting on a lindy with a 4 ft leader, yellow #4 gama hook...half a crawler or a leech...8 to 20 ft of water...lots of slot fish, looked healthy, bigger fish needed some boat side time as they seemed a bit stressed at times...it was the best fishing I have had mid mayfly hatch in a number of years...

As an aside, my son's and I were boat checked by the DNR the evening of July 5th. Glad to see the guys out there...first license check in 38 years of fishing Lake V, lots of creel checks, but first "show us everything" stop...now if we can just get some of these idiots in the cigar boats who think it is "cool" to get as close to as possible at high speed to slow down...I am sure the guy with the orange boat who just missed us in the channel near the Dam could use some instruction time....

Good to hear the fishing was good. I didnt get out much last weekend went out friday night and just like you I about got ran over by a big speed boat doing 60 through the channel. That was enough for me. Tried a couple spots saturday but with the waves from all the boats got frustrated and will give it a shot next weekend. I am thinking by next weekend the walleyes will be full and laying on the bottom of the lake so looking for some reports as the week progresses to see if its worth trying for walleyes. Or if I should just spend some time fishing something else. Were you fishing the narrows and niles by chance?

fished both sides of Knotts Island, the channel and Birch Narrows...fished the sand in Niles, and the rock piles...best luck was around Knotts..

I think you are right on the full walleyes...maybe some smallie fishing with be the ticket...

the evening bite was much better the whole week...

Frank,

The largest walleye I have heard of being caught on Vermilion was 32 inches. I am sure that there have been bigger onesn caught though,

Cliff

The walleyes are still hitting crawlers on a lindy rig well.

Cliff

One of VDL Ed's relatives released one just over 31 inches a couple of weeks ago...

I saw a guy early this season by the boys camp keep a 33 incher for the wall. He said it was a 33 incher I personaly didnt see him measure it but it was a mammoth in the net so id beleive it was. Thanks for the input on the fishing report. Any thoughts on fishing in the next couple days? Think it will change much plan on fishing the big bay side of pine island and a few spots on big bay... Any ideas cliff??? Going to try west end for a day also but havent had much luck over there this year. lkvermilionniles...were you catching any fish in the afternoon or mainly morning and night?

mostly evening, a few in the am...have work projects at the cabin to do in the afternoon...

Big Bay is still producing well.

I have been using Lindys and crawlers on the reefs and rock piles.

I tried the North side of Pine yesterday because of the high winds but had very limited luck there.

Did get a couple of nice fish by Shamrock Marina though!

Cliff

Yeah I hear the wind was horrible up there yesterday and today. Its bad here in Duluth also. Looks like its going to calm down a little tomorrow. Thanks for the input Cliff and nilesbay...

Cliff,

I had a couple of guys come in and wonder what the heck the guide had that they didn't. Said that they could buy a bite and here was this guide and clients pulling in these big fish and taking pictures. I assume it was you.

We were on the Cook end and the wind was horible Friday, Saturday and this AM. One guy left his bass boat at that dock and wound up with an almost sunk boat from taking waves over the back of the boat. It was pretty close. Another couple of guys lost power and would up on the rocks and had to walk their boat back to the launch, we helped both get things back in order.

Thats why I took the weekend off from fishing. Its not relaxing to fight 40 mph winds.

Yeah, I would have too, but we had plans for camping and relatives coming up. And yes the fishing was pretty tough, couldn't find fish on the lee side of anything.