• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Did you kill it deliberately? IS that a rattlesnake?

(EDIT - duh, look at the head - that's not even close!)

No rattler, thought a fox. If anyone knows let me know. Catch, photo, & release.

They do hiss and coil up - they make a TON of racket - will try to scare you. They sound like death incarnate, but are not poisonous, and aside from bluffing - not too prone to biting you either.

They are actually quite popular in the pet trade. I stink at IDing snakes, although I do know some things about bullsnakes. They are great snakes to keep around - just great - they eat a TON of rodentia. Just push them aside and leave them be.

That's the one thing we didn't catch at the Get-Together...

No rattler, thought a fox. If anyone knows let me know. Catch, photo, & release.

I looked at photos of a fox snake vs. the bull, and the fox snake has a shorter snout. The colorations can vary from snake to snake, but looking at the snout in your photo, I will stand by the Bull Snake.

Yeah, I've done the same and figured either a bull or northern watersnake. Went through quite a few pix to come to that conclusion.