• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Quote:
The latteral line is the key to all of thier sense's. Stealth is key to consistant success in the shallows. Why do you think they put rattles in lures?

I didn't say fish can't hear (or feel) sound waves in the water. I said; they do not fade like they do in the air! Fish get used to boat motor sounds by June. 90% of the fish I catch are within 50' of the back of my trolling boat. Tuesday we cought 13 fish, 2 Northerns, a White Bass, A Sheep Head and 9 Walleyes, all within 50' of the back of the trolling boat in less then 10' of water.

They put rattles on lures so they make more noise!

In shallow water I think it is far more important to keep your movements to a minimum and stay low in the boat.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• riverrat56

• PDOGG

• Matt C

You can always spot a troller when they have a specific trolling boat wink

Way to stick'em Muddog

I was catching most of the fish when I was going with the wind and my GPS said I was doing 2.8-3.4mph. When I did catch them going into the wind I was working to keep my MPH over 3. The wind was blowing around 20mph and keeping the boat on corse (connect the Waypoint ) was a full time job. When a fish did bite I had to put the boat into reverse and keep the boat from blowing into the weeds and shallow water. I had two people in the boat with me who do not troll. So keeping the boat out of the weeds, trying to explain why you don't bring the fish to the down wind side of the boat ( the boat gets blown over the fish ) and tring to net the fish all at the same time doesn't give you much time to get your line in and out of the way. You have to try this with 3 lines (3people) in the water with a 20mph side wind to full appreciate the work involved. After 20mins, your heading to the calm side looking for White Bass!

You could try guiding.

(HINT: I appreciate what you're saying)

You two could team up, I can see it now....

MudOtter Guiding-Trolling or Casting, Will stick'em either way

MudOtter Guiding

That's awesome now I have to clean coffee off the computer screen. I'm like a Mudotter man!

There is water all over mine. That was awesome. MudOtter guide service. You can chase whities, roughies, walleyes, pike and bass. Muddog can handle it all while TO keeps his focus on the 'Eyes.

The pattern described in both of my most recent reports have been applicable on four different bodies of water within the last three weeks.

How will your approach change once the weeds die?

It won't. I haven't fished many weeds this summer.

I haven't found walleyes holding in weeds this year, not shallow ones at least. I haven't given it alot of effort either, once they die it will open up some new area's to fish.

Key on baitfish...they're a type of structure too....

went to a popular mankato area lake last thursday and my buddy cought a 16" walleye on his 5th cast . the cast was to a weed edge in about 3' of water. went to some very good weed lines with perfect wind and nothing for walleyes there.

just keep looking!!!

JDrummer,

If you find yourself fishing the weedlines--force yourself another 2 ft. shallower and in/on the weeds themselves to find the fish. Also, sometimes this time of year, you will do much better by positioning your boat on the inside weedline and casting back out over the tops of the weeds and bringing it back shallow. Inside weedline to the shore will hold plenty of fish as well---an area you would never be able to reach while staying on the outside edge. Just some thoughts.

Just when I think I've got U figured out you throw a curve ball at me. I thought you fished transition area's next to weeds. Don't the fish hold there because of the weeds or do they hold because ofd the transition?

Don't the fish hold there because of the weeds or do they hold because of the transition?

Yes...

Transitions next to weeds are good as is fishing right in the weeds, transitions without weeds, etc. Often times the fish are holding in certain areas because of the presence of bait fish of which the bait fish are attracted to the area because of the transition.

Right, to sum up shallow water walleyes, Find the Food, Find the Fish.

would a transition like this work .......rocks on shore and then smaller ones to like river rock size comeing out to about 3 -4 foot then mud .... the farther you go out would that be a good transiton ....if it is all that the lake has to offer im thinking of a small lake that is just a fish blow has lots of weeds thow ....but they are deeper 10 foot

lol that one is hard to read ....meaby i should of look at it befor i posted it lol

lol .....i ment just a round lake with nothing in it for drop off and stuff

Oh, a fish BOWL aka "Dish Pan" lot of those around here! I would say what you described would be a great place to start pitching cranks!

If there in no deep water near by, It wouldn't be my first choice. If the rocks go into the deep water I would make a point of checking the area out a few time while I'm on this body of water. When you do find fish in this area take notes on which way the wind is blowing and how long and strong it has been blowing. Check the water temp! After a few trips you will know if the fish will be there or not when you are hitching up the boat!

Always, Always, Always. take notes. If you run into a good fish bite remember what the weather patterns have been the three days before the bite. Good bites take time to set up! The fish move into the area one by one and the longer the pattern the more fish will be there. Get a big wind change and the bite will fall apart. Then when it stabilizes the bite will start to set up again. If the wind is from the same direction as before it may set up in the same spot. If it's from defferent direction it will set up in a hole new spot. Take notes and don't always fish the same spot. Hunt for the set up spot all around the lake. If you do this the lake will get alot smaller.

Sounds like a great spot or area to start looking and if there's bait fish around, wind direction and weather patterns don't matter.  It'll just be a matter of when the fish decide to visit and feed and for how long, especially the fish in 1 - 4' of water.