• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My wife and I are heading up to Lake Vermilion August 23-30. We have been to Leech Lake several times but this is our first trip to Lake Vermilion. We are staying at Spring Bay Resort on the west end of the lake. If anyone has any info on where to start fishing for the pike and musky it would be greatly appreciated. I have a hotspots map so I will be able to find where you are talking about. I normally wouldn't ask but its a long drive from Michigan to not find the fish. Thanks for any information.

Your host at Spring Bay will definitely point you in the right direction. I'm not a musky guy but the emergent weed lines always work well for me and northerns.

The 'Skunker' is correct - check with Steve, your host. He is a muskie fisherman and can surely put you on to fish.

I fish Vermillion in late July every year. I have had luck picking up muskies in the late afternoon in front of busy resorts. We call it the "dinner bell" bite. Peak swimming and beach front activity drives bait fish from the shallows and boats coming in for dinner disturb bait fish in the channels of weedy bays in front of resorts. I think some fish are conditioned to take advantge of these easy meals.

Troll a deep diving crank in the prop wash- not for depth, but to shake off weeds.

The boat traffic keeps a channel open in weed chocked bays. Try around the Life of Rilely or Vermillion Dam lodge or the many other resorts on the lake.

This is a way to pick up a fish on the hardest used parts of the lake. At a bear minnimum it is an excuse to leave the lines in the water all the way to the dock and more time with lures in the water always equals more fish. Hans