• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HELP!!! Minnkota 795 MX wouldn't turn left all of sudden tonite?

Christopher Quast

Question

It was working great all day, and then all of sudden tonite while fishing crappies I went to make a left turn and nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions from my fellow FMer's will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

mine did that sometimes and I took the pedal all apart and cleaned it up and made sure all the connections were tight.

This has happened a few times to me in the past few years. I have replaced the pedal three times due to dust and dirt on the circuit board. The dust will get under the tabs that control the steering and wear a small hole into the seal on the board. When this happens, the board will get moisture in it and cause it to corrode or short out. It is strange though that every time this has happened, it is the two tabs that allow the motor to turn left. For me, I can't justify spending $450 on a trolling motor that requires a $100 foot pedal every year. Actually, I need a new one again because it just happened to me again this weekend. I am going to call Minnkota today to see if they are aware of this problem or they have done something to remedy this. I will post back as soon as I find something out.

Minn Kota knows of the problem and from my recant experiance they dont care. As soon as I get enough cash I'm trying Motor Guide. Ive got just a 55# power drive 2.5 years old hopefully going on the market real soon for cheap! I dont support products that fail with little use! The company knows there is aproblem and they wont stand behind it past a short warrenty,

So I did some investigating and I have power coming out of my pedal for all my functions including my left turn Hmmmm!!!

Starting to think the motor needs board replaced or something is getting screwy in there instead, since I have checked pedal over with continuity tester and checks out OK.

I am with you on this one croixflats when I couldn't get my older one to work he just chuckled when I told him the model number and all I thought was you a hole and then he proceeded to tell me to go buy a new one, since they don't make parts for mine anymore.

That was the last straw for me also Hopefully they keep it up and run themselves out of business eventually.

The good news is my buddy to me about a guy out in Hutchinson MN that does Minnkota repairs out of his garage and is also a dealer and he said he would look mine over for 25.00 which is worth it to me and then he said he would call and let me know what he finds and he also has alot of hard to find parts from what I understood by talking to him the other day.

His name is Jeff Olsen and his number is 320-587-7721

Hope this helps other people out too

Check the connector between the pedal and unit if there is one. Common on the newer models to have poor contact at that connection.

Quote:
So I did some investigating and I have power coming out of my pedal for all my functions including my left turn Hmmmm!!!

So you have voltage being sent for left and right turn separately? I would assume the power line would be one source and then left and right turn would be on separate lines by themselves? Just a guess as I have not looked into the exact wiring of these units.

Similar to my issue

It was working great all day, and then all of sudden tonite while fishing crappies I went to make a left turn and nothing.

That has happened to me a couple of times, most recently last month. I picked up the foot control, rapped it a few times on the floor (left side down) to knock out some debris, and it it worked again. Stuff gets in there that prevents the pedal from going down far enough to activate the switch.