• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior fishing guide/charter recommendations

I'm trying to plan a Lake Superior fishing trip (3 adults) and need help choosing the right charter. Any suggestions?

I never used any of them but I have heard people talking about KDK charters being one of the best.

Where do you want to go out of? If you go up the shore to Tofte, Tofte Charters does a good job.

KDK is the way too go, guy is great and knows what he's doing. I believe he boats more fish than any other charter captain on the entire lake. If I remember correcty he has fished the lake since he was a kid(he must be about 60 now).

Quote "I believe he boats more fish than any other charter captain on the entire lake."

Not trying to be a smart aleck here but that is a pretty strong statement. I have heard the fishing out of Black River harbor is significantly better than Duluth.

I have never used KDK but have nothing but good to say about Happy Hooker Charters (Hooker Too). I was just out with them last week and had another great trip.

Steve

I have fished with Hard Times out of Duluth. 4 limits of Lake Trout. The captain Steve Johnson is pretty amusing

Hard Times or Happy Hooker would be who I would go with.

I wont recomend KDK and thats all Im saying about it.

If your responding to me its so the person asking would know who I would recomend and who I wouldnt. Seems simple enough to me.

If that person wants details they know how to get a hold of me.

That quote is true, look into the numbers and get back too me. When I was talking to Dave(captain of the kdk) He showed me his book and if it wasent the whole lake, he definatly leads the fish total out of MN by far(I talked to him a couple years ago so my memory on that specific detail is fuzzy), but I'm preaty sure it was the entire lake.

Who keeps an official "score" of all fish taken from all charters on the lake? An unofficial toll between charter captains is almost certainly skewed, with the successful ones reporting lower than actual numbers to mask their tactics and unsuccessful ones reporting higher than actual to save face. These are fishermen we are talking about.

I have no experience, good or bad with KDK, but of course the captain of the boat is going to say he is the best captain.

Getting back to the original post, it appears that Happy Hooker/Hooker Too, Hard Times, and KDK all have a following on this board, so Twinfisher should do well by any of them.

Here's another one to try. Bill's Great Lakes Charters. Captain Bill has been in the game for so long for a reason. Hard Times also gets my vote. Those guys are consistantly on the water and pleasing customers. If fish numbers are an issue to be debated they'll most likely share that info with you and you can figure out who gets "The Title". While catching fish would be their forte a charter trip shouldn't just be for the trout. The provide an all around trip. Shop around and ask questions. Good luck. No bad days!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The question gets asked often. All of the charters mentioned will be on top of their game.

Whos best is up for debate and one we won't have here. Lets just say they can all have their day and leave it at that.

Happy Hooker is a sponsor of FM and one you'll do well with.

The question gets asked often. All of the charters mentioned will be on top of their game.

Whos best is up for debate and one we won't have here. Lets just say they can all have their day and leave it at that.

Happy Hooker is a sponsor of FM and one you'll do well with.

I have used a few in the past and never had a complaint. End Of the line, whitewater, hard times. no complaints with any

As a former captain on Lake Superior I pretty much know every captain down there and I have my own opinions too, but I second Steve with I cant reccommend KDK either. I think there are several good fisherman as captains, some mentioned here, some not. A lot depends on what the captain and/or mate do both on and off the boat to me that makes the difference. You need to decide by calling many of the captains personally to decide for you which captain your personality fits. There are followers to alot of the captains on this board, good luck sorting that out here! Just my food for thought.

If Northlander wouldn't recommend them, take his word for it

I have never met him, but just look at his history/feedback on FM.

I have nothing but respect for him!!!!

If he says no, then think about what he said!!!

Back 8 years ago, there use to be a Charter by the name of Summer Heat!! He worked his tail off for us and we did well in three years using him.

We took our kids with because they made "a" Honor Roll and enjoyed fishing!!!

I go to Lake Michigan with my Dad.

Again listen to Northlander!!!

Summer Heat is the name of the boat used by Captain Bill of Bill's Great Lakes Charters. I've fished with him for years and also know of countless other captains. Still, I would recommend him or Hard Times as "local favorites". Both have literally decades of repeat business.

He was great with the kids at that time. They were 11 years old the first time they went up. They just Graduated from College this past year.

He took time to explain to them how things worked, and let them help set things up.