• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

STATE RECORD??

Has anyone heard of a state record eye coming out of Diamond Lake last week some time??

Not very likely a record walleye would ever come out of there. Too heavily pressured and not the right forage type.

Today's article in the St.Cloud Times explains how the rumor came to be:

Schmitt column: No truth to record fish rumor

June 22, 2008

Anglers have been known to stretch the truth from time to time. In today’s era, with the Internet providing a quick, (but not always accurate) source of information, rumors travel fast.

Last year, I got on the trails of a rumored state-record walleye catch at Lake of the Woods after seeing several postings surrounding it online. While the walleye was big, it was not a state record — it was not even caught in Minnesota.

The rumor mill swept across much of the state again this week. Apparently there was a 17-pound, 10-ounce walleye caught last weekend at Diamond Lake near Willmar. Its weight was two ounces bigger than the current state record.

Word spread fast throughout the Willmar and New London areas. By Tuesday I was taking calls from anglers in the St. Cloud area who wanted to know more. I even talked with one guy from Brainerd who had heard about the state-record catch.

I called Brad Foshaug from Brad’s 71 Bait and Sports in Willmar. He had calls and inquiries about this big walleye as well. He even heard that it was being held at the DNR fisheries office in Spicer.

My next call was to Bruce Gilbertson, DNR fisheries manager in Spicer. He too had received calls and e-mails from area anglers, but couldn’t confirm the catch. Gilbertson had been hearing the same rumors everyone else had.

Just minutes after I talked with Gilbertson, he called me back. He got an e-mail from a guy who stated his nephew had played a practical joke on him by telling apparently a lot of people that his uncle had caught the state-record walleye on Diamond Lake.

According to the e-mail, the guy stated this was a “bad deal” and “it’s out of control.” He was looking for help from Gilbertson to get the word out that the fish was a lie. There wasn’t much Gilbertson could do. This fishing tale grew quickly and spread even faster. This mess would have to be cleaned up on their own and I would imagine paybacks are in order for the guy’s nephew.

Bottom line: Word travels fast, especially when it revolves around a potential state-record fish. So spread the word, there WAS NOT a state-record walleye caught on Diamond Lake. It was a joke, and a not so funny one at that.

This column is the opinion of Times outdoors columnist Glen Schmitt. Contact him at 253-5789 or at [email protected] outdoornews.com

Alright Sartel that rumer was suppose to be about my 65 lb crappie caught yesterday on Calhoun,I'll post pics soon.

Somebody has a great sense of humor! That right there is funny.

This is exactly why posting detailed info / GPS coordinates is not just "sharing" as some say. I'm not against sharing general info, pictures, bragging, exagerating, ect..., but sharing specific spots, exact depths, techniques on a particular "hot lake" spreads as fast as this hoax. It's ironic that the hoax was that the state record came out of Diamond. I would have believed that it set a record for fish being taken out of it in the past year.

Right, there are no fish left in Diamond, way to much pressure, everyone should stay off it it....... wink

there may not be a state record walleye but i know theres state record dogfish

Dogfish are not only good fighters but they really don't taste too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been awhile since I've been on here, but I heard the rumor about the big fish a month ago also. I knew if it was true I'd see it pop up on here eventually. I love how stuff like that gets started and just keeps going.