• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Update 21st & 22

Walli1

Fishing is just fun, today was catching not fishing, boated alot of walleyes this morning, ended up with 4 dandies momma would be proud of but wait theres more also put a solid 8lb eye in the boat, catch and release baby did snap a photo before I let her goPICT0483-1.jpg

Sure wish I'd of had a net boy today, so I could of got a decent picture but then again its just a 28" plenty more where that came from! Lindy riggen river bait and leeches and a few crawlers heck they bite on anything! 8-17' fow

Nice report Dan, that's a heck of a fish. I'll see you out there in the morning.

See you on the morning, going to the twins game after some river therapy

For those of you that missed the sunrisePICT0482.jpgThat right there is worth getting up in the morning, photo was taken about 4:20am NICE!!

Fishing today was great, lost track on just how many eyes I boated today well over 20+ for sure. Seen a few fellow FMs out there, what a great day on the water, ended up with 5 beautiful eyes in the box, smallest was 18 and the largest was 19 1/2" All caught lindy riggen 8-22 fow dead river bait,leeches or crawlers all worked, wonder how much longer these fish will continue be easily caught, sure is fun! then went to the twins game and watched them win what a day!! cool

Walli1,

Seems like you had a much better weekend on the croix than me! Fished sat around afton, the kinni, and south of the bluffs park launch and only managed one small walleye, a white bass, and a sheepie. Used fatties and crawlers on lindys and spinners. Fished breaklines off of the flat sandy areas, maybe I am fishing the wrong type of areas???? I was wondering if you would be able to give a guy some pointers to help figure out this system. Have only fished the Croix twice this year but am struggling to find consistant action. Here is my e-mail address if you don't feel like sharing here: [email protected]

Thanks for any help you can provide.

~Lip

P.S. Where are you launching that you are getting on the river at 4:15am? I usually launch at the bluffs but you can't launch there until 6am.

Hey walli, good to see you out there on sunday. I was the guy fishing with sandmann. It sure was nice out there. we didnt fill the box but brought a few home to eat. also caught a nice northern that peeled some drag. Thanks to sandmann, he has taken me out there the last couple sundays mornings. Ya know, 430 doesnt seem that early when im fishing.

First off river fishing is by far tougher then fishing a lake, I was born and raised fishing walleyes in western mn in some of the finest walleye fishing lakes to be found, then 17 years or so ago I met a great girl got married and left the lakes and moved to the concrete jungle, for years I drive out there on weekends to go fishing, then around 10 years + ago I went down to the St Croix river and fell in love and I've been going back every weekend I can. I learned quick that the river is not a lake and lots of the things I grew up learning about catching walleyes didn't work to well on the river, the water is always moving and so are the fish, like this past sunday for example, the eyes I found when I first arrived were in 8-12 fow and active, then they would slide off the flat into 20+ fow and I'd stay with them and slowly they would work their way back up on the side and they would become active again, then they would go right back off and I just kept on them and next time they came up on the flat it was over 75 yards where I found them in the first time, if your not seeing fish on the graph you believe are walleyes find I different area, if I mark fish I believe to be walleyes, I look for three things, quality of the fish, depth of the water and how they relate to the bottom, fish tight to the bottom tend to be less active, I like seeing a mix some off the bottom a foot or two and some tight, I believe these to be active and willing to bite! Hope this helps, seems to work for me smile P.S I launch out of hubs marina in hastings!

bwally and I were out fishing by Walli1 for a couple hours. We hit some fish early on but started to die down for us even though Dan was still bringing them in. I still think it's that dang old boat you drive. So we moved up by the Bluffs and got a few more. We did get a couple of keeper saugers, nothing like Dan was getting in the boat though. We were gonna move again and Brad got a huge hit, thought it was a snag at first. Then he brought in this beauty:

30" Pike Brad30inchPike6-22-08.jpg

All in all a good day on the river. I need about 9 more years out there to get where Dan and Turk are, but it's fun learning and these guys are great to learn from. Dan, thanks for letting us fish around ya. It's a good time hanging out on the river with you.

Walli1,

Thanks for the tips and the quality reports that you post every week. I have spent the last few summers fishing on Mille Lacs and I am still astounded at how much can be learned in just a days worth of fishing but in the same sense it blows my mind to think about how much more there is to be learned.

This year I have challenged myself to learning the Croix and I have learned many new things only after spending a few days on the water. Sometimes it's as simple as "just go fish it." Sitting at home thinking about it isn't going to put more fish in the livewell or even the boat for that matter! So I guess I will just keep chipping away at the croix, afterall, more time on the water or in the field = less time thinking about work!

Keep those minnows fresh and those lines tight!

~Lip

Nice report! ALthough I have to say I think river fishing is way easier than lakes, but I grew up fishing rivers. Maybe its just easier to fish similar to how you learned to do it smile

I'm looking forward to more time on the Croix this year

It can be easier, locations change much more dramatically on the river though, all relating to water levels. Once you can key in and know what the fish are doing and where they are, fishing is real good. Also I do believe that high pressure systems effect river fish much less than the lakes I fish....The river can be humbling from time to time, but as far as consistantly putting out fish..it's hard to beat.

Can't wait to get on the river again, might be a week or two since we just had out 2nd baby last Wed. UNtil then I will rely on all you posts to keep me going!

STRATOSMAN Congratulations on the birth of your second child,what a blessing!

Can't wait to get on the river again, might be a week or two since we just had out 2nd baby last Wed. UNtil then I will rely on all you posts to keep me going!

Congrats on the midget Stratos. They are a bless and what it's all about. Think of the times you'll have teaching how to fish and just one on one time.

Congrats on the new addition to the family, that is definitly worth taking a few weeks off!

Hey thanks fellas...

Yeah time is only time anyway, a few weeks is nothing when you look at the big picture! When compared to the decades of enjoyment one receives from thier children. Puts life into perspective no doubt! I'll see ya all on the water in a week or two!