• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake help

Hi guys,

I need some help. My fiance's parents have a cabin on Green, and we're taking her dad out fishing this weekend. He has a nice boat, but could use a little direction from me on how/ where to fish. I've only seriously ice fished the lake.

So, would you pitch jigs off the edge of structure for smallies with the chance for eyes? Depth Fish weedlines? Lindy rigs? Just looking for some basic patterns/ advice here...

Also, we might go for some fast panfish action at some point. Any general spots you could recommend? Small jigs? Floats and gulp in the bays?

Thanks!

John

Weedlines from 24'-32' should get you an assortment of walleyes & smallies rigging with a crawler or leech. If you dont have a lakemaster chip get one & fish the major spots.

Pannies in the tall weeds - Coliers corner, Cty park 5, Morgandale.

Good Luck

eyewarrior

Nice to see some sharing of info on this site. Green Lake can be intimidating to a newcomer. Green is by far the best smallmouth fishery around. There is not a shortage of smallies and there never will be. There is no need to be so tight lipped about Green smallies. Even during the walleye hay days, big smallies were always there, but few fished for them. When you do a posting how about sharing the when, where and how. Bass fisherman could take a few lessons on sharing their info from salmon fisherman. They help others to be successful. I don't think that this site was created to be only a bragboard or show and tell site. Why don't one of the area smallie experts start posting info on how to be productive on Green. There is a lot of satisfaction on helping others to participate in this phenominal smallmouth fishery.

Do you have a GPS? Unfortunately the experts won't give you enough info and don't want to share the hot spots with others. A suggestion is to spend the first part of the day following the tournament anglers and mark waypoints during a bass tourney. If you do this during an early tourney and then again later in the summer you will have all the sites that you need and can come back to year after year. Don't be intimidated by the tourney anglers, they don't own the lake. Some bass anglers need to lighten up. It isn't a life or death matter here, it's only a smallie.

Heck I'm no expert Bass fisherperson and catch all the smallies I want on Green NO secret sharing just go fish the large flat on the north shore! search they may be on top or deeper.LEARN something dont rely on others JUST GO DO IT! If ya got to rely on others hot spots stay home play a fishin video.

It isn't a life or death matter here, it's only a smallie.

Wow! did I just read that right?

Maybe we SHOULD stock muskies in Green...It's only a muskie. Who cares about the walleyes on Green...there only walleyes. You can catch them anywhere.

Sorry, just had to get that out...hehe

Do you have a GPS? Unfortunately the experts won't give you enough info and don't want to share the hot spots with others. A suggestion is to spend the first part of the day following the tournament anglers and mark waypoints during a bass tourney. If you do this during an early tourney and then again later in the summer you will have all the sites that you need and can come back to year after year. Don't be intimidated by the tourney anglers, they don't own the lake. Some bass anglers need to lighten up. It isn't a life or death matter here, it's only a smallie.

That's an embarassing, and unsportmanlike attitude. Get a HotSpots map, a gps and a chip and formulate a gameplan. Ya, many times the spots that look good on the map are already "community holes." But to suggest going around "GPSing" where the tourney guys are fishing is not something I'd promote. There are spots on spots that some fisherman (not only "tourney" "experts") would rather keep to themselves. I, and most fisherman I know, respect that. If you come across it through your own time and effort, great. GPS it. I know it happens, but to promote it, I don't agree with.

I'm guessing this was said to raise some hackles, but if you were serious, I'm sorry. Good Luck.

scout, when i first got on to this forum i too thought that the people in the know were a little tight lipped and cautious, but i have not seen much to prove them wrong. take ice fishing for example, it is herd menality at its finest, most often by people that are not the most conservation orrientated.

if anybody serious about fishing or familiar with this area's post reads what eyewarrior, sparcebag, leech, ect.. says , it is usually short on words but very full of information, you just have to read between the lines. this web site is not named hhtp: findoutexactlywherethefisharefishingmn.com. last i looked green lake still had quite a bit of structure and in turn plenty of places where the fish are. i dont think the"experts" are hiding them from us, so they can catch all the fish.

The GPS has rendered most spots "community holes". Granted some are better than others..... .

If your looking for some good action and a mixed bag, Try anywhere in the weeds, or just on the edge.

Chub,

Your reference to GPS community holes is a good term. Those are the areas that certainly can be shared with anglers looking for info. Several years ago the Little Crow Anglers made a map for walleye locations. The spot on the spot is the refining of the location which can be different for some individuals and is the result of the time logged fishing. Even the two GPS markings I posted, you will do best on the spot on a spot. I saw your comment about fewer big shoulder smallies. I feel that is due to excellent natural reproduction. There are lots of large year classes of smaller smallies in the lake and therefore the odds of the bigger fish finding your bait first has decreased significantly unless you pick them off the spawning bed. Do you suppose anyone in the future will share a community hole. Once anglers get on the lake and have success they will work to find their own spot on a spot and that changes during the season. The area's holding smallies are virtually unlimited.

. If you come across it through your own time and effort, great. GPS it. I know it happens, but to promote it, I don't agree with.

I'm guessing this was said to raise some hackles, but if you were serious, I'm sorry. Good Luck.

that is probably the best reason for slots and limits, "gee honey, the darn dnr just wont let me keep many fish so if you want to eat fresh fish i just have to go more often"