• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spent The Day On Crystal and Orchard... NOTHING!

So we got onto Orchard around 7:30-8, fished the reed island, and the weed bed in the small bay to the southeast of it for an hour or two, with NOTHING to show for it, my friend got one hit and he missed it, other than that, nothing. We were going for pike/muskies, with topwaters, bucktails, spinner baits, and suckers all given tries. We then fished from the beach almost back to the reed island, fishing the shore for bass and pike, again nothing. So we went over to Crystal, where we tried basically the entire lake with suckers, did some trolling with super shad raps and believers, and bass fished the docks. We even tried crappie fishing, NOTHING! We didn't see a fish bigger than 2-4 inch sunnies ALL DAY. What suprises me is that we're both experienced fishermen, and the day seemed to be perfect, clear skies with just enough wind to give a chop to the water. I was shocked that we couldn't find one fish of virtually any species. Did anyone else fish Orchard or Crystal yesterday? If so, how did you do?

I fished Orchard on Monday night for muskies with no luck. My daughter did catch a nice bass on a bettle spin. Don't give up on Orchard. It gives up nice muskies every year. It's a very streaky lake. When it's hot it's hot. When it's cold it's very cold.

With Crystal lake I stay away from that lake. To many jet skiers on the lake.

Good luck!!

Brian

These lakes do get a fair amount of fishing pressure especially Orchard. But as with most smaller lakes in the area its already probably into full summmer swing patterns. And although some bass maybe active fishing can be quite slow during the day or morning. I would try evening hours instead. Even though large fish is present in these lakes they are probably few in numbers which can also explain your outcome.

If your going to target a Muskie I would probably head over a to a body of water that is really managed for them. Crystal has only received two separate stockings in the last five years. Tiger fingerlings or yearlings were stock in numbers totaling 560 over the 5 year period. Plus the fish doesn't even show up in recent fish pop surveys on the lake. Add in such other factors and that would still make the population mediocre even though the fish is present in the water. That would make it very difficult to target them.

Orchard has a more aggressive Muskie stocking program over the years then Crystal. The lake is also smaller in size but probably gets more attention than Crystal. Not to mention that Muskies were sampled in the fish surveys.

I see these lakes as being more of a surprise catch in such species and probably wouldn't really target them anyhow. Seems to be that most feedback have only caught them Muskies by fishing for other species on these waters.

Porterhouse, were you in the alumnacraft with the yammy on back? I think I spoke with you while fishing the reed island, we were in a 20 ft Triton...we didn't move any fish either, should have been a good night with the moon rise and nothing was going...

Wally,

Yes, that was me. Pretty slow that night.

Nice talking to you.

Brian