• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi Gang,

Can you guys help me out on the St. Louis River conditions? I'm headed up there this weekend, and would like to spend some time wade fishing the St. Louis for some smallies, or whatever bites really. From what I gather the river is looking pretty high as of now. Is there a GENERAL area that would be better for wade fishing? Not looking for honey holes.

Was hoping to get into some smallies. Is the water still a big cool for these guys to get moving?

Any other help is appreciated. Brand new to the St. Louis, but looking forward to spending some time on her if possible.

Thanks.

Marc

Look below there is already a post on the St. Louis River bite.

Sorry I didnt see wade fishing in the post. Above and below the 23 bridge has some good spots. Mn. side. Also a lot of shore spots in that rea. Not much below there unless you try some public fishing piers.

You've probably made your trip already but if it's smallies you want and wading is your game plan I'd suggest the upper sections of the st. louis. Any of the stretches in jay cooke state park would be great places to try. I've been doing spectacular up there the past few weeks and will be out there someplace tmrw. It's also a very scenic area for those that are interested and haven't taken it in.

Matt your always doing "spectacular" on the Louie. wink

Matt your always doing "spectacular" on the Louie. wink

if he is, he may be the only one. i get my fish but i am working for them this year. it has improved up to spirit lake and just before. i think its been clearing more. big chaurtruese blades and crawlers 4-5 feet from a snap weight has been working for me

Man it was a tuff one in the harbor tonight. Trolled sticks and cranks for 2 hours with only 1 northern to show for it. Tried spinners and nothing. Tries spin n glows slow and got rock bass. Looks like I may have to start hitting some of the deeper weed edges up river because down river has been slow.

Did get one 25.5"er yesterday but nothing else over 15".

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Ended up fishing just southwest of Fond du Lac. Can't remember the park for the life of me, but it's just on the south side of town.

A couple of buddies ended up with around 17" smallies each, and I ended up with a couple of rock bass. I just couldn't lay the fly rod down, and this stretch was probably not the best place for fly fishing.

Ran into a local guy that let me in on a couple spots he frequents on foot, but unfortunately we didn't have the time to make it to them.

Folks from the Duluth area are usually some of the friendliest around. Unless you come across a drunk guy in the Saratoga bathroom almost too drunk to stand that calls you a "citiot". grin

Beautiful river. It was a nice change looking into root beer clear water instead of the muddy look of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers.

Heard rumors of nice sized musky in there too. Look forward to spending more time on her someday with better conditions.

Later.

Marc

Those are some better size smallies for the louie. I knew I'd get a hard time for claiming my fishing as of lately to be spectacular. It really has been though. I was refering to the smallie fishing ABOVE the fond du lac dam on the "upper" river stretches. I haven't been on the lower river for weeks now. Someone thought it'd be fun to slash my trailer tires for my boat so I decided to take it as a sign and do some old fashioned shore fishing. It's taken a bit of walking/hiking/climbing but the smallies throughout the upper system have been furiously attacking a variety of topwater lures, cranks, and jerk baits. Next time I'll downplay the whole success summary though.

Matt that sucks about your tires man! Just once catching these idiots in the act might be nice.

What landing? Wasnt any place on the river was it?

It was actually in town close to cody st. I've been storing my boat at a friends house for about a month. I had a buddy from the metro that was up for the day and I promised I'd take him fishing as a follow up to some photo and story swapping. When we went to hook up my boat I was devastated mostly because I made a promise to take him out and get on some fish. We decided rather than go buy tires and replace them immediately to go fish smallies from shore for the evening. We definately salvaged the fishing part of the day but I was pretty bothered by the tires and it took a few leaps from the bronzebacks to make me crack a smile. For those keeping track... that's a stolen (then recovered) outboard, stolen treestands, stolen digital trail cam, broken window, burglary resulting in $2,000 of lost guitars and amps, two slashed trailer tires, and a partridge in a pear tree. What a beautiful city.

Ya now you get to go deal with all the real criminals down south.

Hi Northlander.

How is the fishing in Brookston area? are those channel cats biting?, i plan to come up there from TC to fish some time next week.

Thanks.

soft.

Havent even tried any cats yet this year. Getting close now though. Im thinking after the 4th weekend. Im sure they are getting them by now. We have had a few hot days in a row. Thats unless all this rain we are getting as I type gets all the waters muddy again. frown