• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing report

Pat Burch

Hi Guys I am new to this site and this forum, but thought I would share with you guys how fishing has been for the last week or so and what has worked well. I guide on Mille lacs and fish a few tournaments around the state as well.

For you guys that can only come up after work the night fishing has been superb. Shallow rocks at night are still going strong. Instead of 6-8 feet the action has been better in the 10-12 foot range especially on the east side. For you guys fishing the day time the bite is going well in the transition areas. Look for transitions from rocks to gravel or rocks to mud. 20-25 feet of water has been the best. If the winds pick up over 15 mph Bobbering the deeper rocks in the 19-22 foot range has worked well. The mud is going but is slower than usual. I feel like there are so many bait fish and bug hatches out there that it is hard to compete with that type of natural food, but if you work at it and move around you can still put together a nice days catch. Watch your graph, when you find fish drop a line and rig them for a while to see if you can pick up a few active fish then move onto another flat. Good luck to All!! and Take a Kid Fishing!!

Thanks for the info I am staying on the north side (red door) his weekend sat evening/night and sunday morning into afternoon. Should I try the sand or some of the flats? If so any recommendations on wich ones? Or where on the sand? Id rather not travel too far if I dont have to but will if it means better fish.I dont keep any just want to catch some big ones for fun.

Thanks

I always stay at the red door on the North end and have become pretty familiar with that area of the lake. I was just up there last week for 5 days and the north end sand was spotty. You have to move around alot but will find fish. At night guys are doing real well corkin right out in fron of the door. If your fishing mud, it seemed as though most of the fish being caught were hanging on the edges so keep an eye on your electronis. Best mud last week was the jug, needle, and the boot. Good Luck!!

Any word on the South side, or the west side for that matter, for a day bite.

Welcome to FM and nice report. Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks,

"hooks"

The north end sand has been spotty, watch your graph iof you find fish they hav ebeen biting. work the deeper sand edges in 18-25 feet. In front of red door and barnacles has produced some fish. The south side has been going well. Work the transition areas off the deep rock piles and then bobber up on the rocks in the evening.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the addiction. I am taking the boss and a client out on Saturday, so the pressure is on to produce.

Thanks for all the suggestions, whats the bottom like in front of the red door? Is it better to drift/troll or bobber fish at night and on the north side where does one typically night fish...Sand, mud, what kind of depth?

Thanks so much..

Jay,

I believe it is sand with a few clams mixed in up by the red door. (had caught a few of them on my line last years opener grin)

At night most people anchor up and slip bobber. Early the rocks are the place to be. I have also spend a good part of a night anchored out on the mud, but that was later in the year.

Are there rocks in that area? I'm going up Sat evening and just trying to figure out a game plan for that evening and into the night. Any suggestions? I was going to Go to the flats the next morning/day also? I dont know where there is any rocks to try other than the east side by fishers to agate....

Thanks

jay

There are a few rocks to the right of Red Door off the point as you are heading out from the boat harbor. I'm guessing that is where they are bobber fishing at night over in that area. You could drive to the Agate reef area, but that is a little bit of a haul from Red Door. You may also want to try the Myr Mar area to the west of Red Door. Myr Mar can be good, but so can the Agate Reef area. Myr Mar is a little closer to Red Door if I were to guess. You could also try trolling shallow diving Rapalas all night long and covering water. The nice thing about that is any where can be a good spot. Good luck!

I did real good on the southside yesterday and caught about 15 fishes, but only 1 keeper!

Ill be fishing out of Izatys on Friday and Saturday. Sloppy Joes has always been good to me, any other suggestions folks?

i'll be up there saturday and sunday with my dad and his college roommate. so i am hearing that the shallow rocks are the best right now?

Coming up to the big pond Saturday. Had enough of Minnetonka. What is the slot?

I had zero success yesterday jiggin and/or slip bobbin. Caught a 24,25,27, and a 28.5 inch walleye trolling with a crankbait, and a 19, a 26 and a small northern trolling with a lindy rig/leech combo. Fished from 2pm to 10pm. First time on Mille Lacs and I'm mounting a trophy!

14' Lund WC Camo Paint

9.9 HP Merc

Where about were you fishing gravel, sand, mud? What kind of depth? Going up tom night just trying to get a plan in place...

Thanks

My plan was to troll a lindy and keep it 6" off the bottom, but most of the fish weren't that deep. I didn't use my anchor so I don't know if it was sand or mud, but I found 'em in 18-25 FOW, just past the edge of the weeds. The walleyes were suspended under a school of baitfish I believe to be perch. I put my 28.5 incher on a stringer and trolled him around because I don't have a livewell, and when I stopped to slip bob, he spat out three tiny perches the size of fatheads. One of 'em was still alive!

What part of the lake (north, south etc) and what kind of bait color, plain hook etc

Thanks

He had to have been close to shore on either the S, SW, or W side of the lake with the wind blowing the way it was today for awhile. grin

Thanks I always have such a hard time deciding where to try i am staying on north side not sure to focus on sand or mud or try to find some gravel...Last couple times out to mud it was slow (maybe its picked up that was a week or more ago), I nevr do that well on the sand... Sounds like wind will be mild and out of North west..

I'll be out on the lake around 7am sunday. Hope the fish finder goes nuts.