• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi guys, I am heading to Duluth for the weekend so my wife can run in the half marathon. I have always thought it would be kinda neat to bring my 17 ft alumacraft and sorta cruise around in the harbor. My six year old son really thinks the big ships are neat. Of course I would be respectful of the ships and keep my distance.

Are small boats like mine fairly common in the harbor? Any tips or advice? Last time I was in duluth we were in Canal Park and there looked like a nice small boat ramp in there. Should I use this one or another one? I have also thought that the traffic and chaos for this grandmas marathon may be too much of a hassle, and leaving the boat at home may be the best thing to do anyhow.

thanks for any advice, spudhauler

Spudhauler,

Boats are very common in the harbor, and it is the best place to watch the ships. Launch at Rice's Point, right under the Blatnik bridge. Take Hwy 53 towards Superior and exit on Garfield exit and go straight ahead. The water is the best place to watch the race just head up to the lester or the safe harbor an pull in to watch the race. Last year we pulled in by the lester to watch the marathon, the view was great. I'm running the half this year but will be up to the lester by 9ish. So if you see a black tyee 1850 with mercs, say Hi. Try some trolling while you are there. Oh check the CG regs you need a singnal divice in your boat (flairs, flag) to be on Superior, but not the bay.

Cam

Thanks Cam,

Sounds like bringing the boat will be the plan. How far is the Lester from Rice's Point Landing, is it inside or outside of the harbor? I am not very familiar with Duluth, but you obviously already knew that. I would prefer to stay inside the harbor so I don't need any additional equipment like flares / flags. If you see a black & white alumacraft with a tracker/mercury on the back and looking lost it will be me. Thanks again for the reply, I am now looking forward to this trip. Good luck on your run!

Depending on when you plan to launch your boat you might be much better off at the Boy Scout landing. They are working on the Blatnik Bridge and the congestion near the downtown for the marathon can be very tricky after 5 am on Sat until late afternoon.

Boyscout would be way out of the way. A long ride down a river you dont know.

Rices would be ok but depending on where you are staying Barkers Island may be better. The High Bridge is closed to traffic heading to Superior though. No matter what ya do you will be in a lot of traffic that weekend. I would just put in at Rices. Depending on the weather you may even get brave and go on Lake Superior.

Make sure you check and see what all the requirements are for safety gear. Horns, flares, anchor etc.

Thanks guys for the tips. I put in at Rices on late Saturday afternoon. The rain was a little frustrating but we were able to find an hour or so of sunshine out on the harbor and really enjoyed our cruise. A big ship was coming in at about the same time we were out there. Thanks again, Spudhauler