• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Island Lake Highway 46

Has anyone been fishing on Island Lake this early season? Have not heard much about it this year. Just wondering if the slot has had an impact on the numbers of fisherman so far.

Have only heard a very few reports from Island Lake so far this year, and the reports have been spotty for walleye. Don't know that it has been hit that much so far this open water season. Many folks who are going for walleye are still heading to Upper Red for all the action, which is still going strong. I know the smaller lakes in the Blackduck area (down the scenic as well as those off 71) are going really strong with a good panfish bite right now, and the occassional walleye is being reeled in while panfishing, and of course the smaller pike. Panfish aren't all on their spawning beds since the lakes are a couple weeks behind schedule, some are but others are still out in the 6-8' depths, some using waxies and small leeches are still working well, but seeing a lot of fish come through the cleaning shack, and have a couple more pics to add to our site. Someone told me that on the radio this morning it said that Blackduck Lake is really hot right now, but we're seeing mixed results coming out of the Duck, still more of the 8pm and later bite (although we haven't had the chance to give it a try in the morning hours yet).

My mom and dad have been out a couple of times and have caught a few eye's in the slot and lots of great bites. They have not hit it hard, but just go out to enjoy the lake and wet a line. Not much pressure, so the lake will only get better and better as time goes on. Glad to see it rebounding. I believe the slot is doing it's job and we will see an exellent fishery again in a few years.

We fished Island Lake from June 7 - 13 with mixed results. The weather wasn't very cooperative. We had lots of rain, wind and cool to cold temperatures, especially later in the week. The reeds had yet to break surface and water temps were in the upper 50's. We caught walleye, northern and smallmouth bass drifiting and slow trolling last year's reeds or casting 1/8 oz jigs with yellow twisters tails tipped with leeches or minnows. Most of the walleye were 20 to 24 inches with a few keepers under 17". We caught a few nice perch fishing in the old reed beds. Some folks were getting a few fishing deeper using bottom bouncers with spinner rigs.

I've fished Island Lake for 30 years and in my opinion the slot is working very nicely with improving the quality of walleye and northern fishing. It would be nice to get a few more keepers but on balance I'm pleased with the progress in reviving the lake.

We fished the bridge at Dora Lake when we couldn't get out with the boat. We caught a variety of fish including three nice walleye eaters on Friday.

Not one of our better weeks on Island but we still had a great time.

Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike,

your picture, is that cabin#6 dock on Inland lake ?

If not, sure looks like it.We been going to Inland lake for 13 yrs.Fishing has always been great for us.(walleyes).We are going up on the 28th of June and I hope its still as good as allways. I will right back when we get back on how the fishing was.

Not sure if we can say the names of the resorts so thats why I named cabin 6 dock.We miss the old owners , but the new are nice.I'am sure we will have a great time.

Were thinking of going to red for a day ,that should be fun.

Got to go.

Buy

Bluewater2- good luck when you are up there. My dad and mom have been having a blast catching and releasing the fish this week. Looks good for the future! grin

Hi woodman,

Thanks for the good news.

Tell your mom & dad we will be in a maroon Blue water boat , so if they see us say Hi. We will be staying at sleeplyhollow.

I cant wait .

Indy Mike,

I thought I saw you and Chris that Monday as we were packing up. You would have been back by Spook Island. We were working on a shower house project and didn't get on the water much. We just got back from our week at the lake and fished enough to scratch out a meal and some catch and release. Sorry we missed hooking up with you. Maybe next time.

Bluewater2,

Right lake but wrong resort. The avitar is looking North by Northwest from the resort on the Northeast shore of Island Lake. Good luck on your trip. We'll be looking forward to your post.

Indiana Mike

Mark,

Yes, that was us behind Spook Island searching for those big bull gills. We only found one on Monday but I did catch a 32" northern back there on my 5' ultrlight.

I was fishing Fox Bay on Sunday and heard the construction going on around your cabin. I thought I saw Jack once or twice through the trees. I should have stopped by to say hello but thought I might have a better chance to visit later in the week. It wasn't until Monday that we realized you were only there for the weekend.

We'll be back for another try at the end of August and hopefully get to see you then.

Regards,

Indiana Mike

Just to let you guys know the fish are on fire, mom and dad have been out the last few nights and have caught and released many eye's and have caught enought for an excellent Island lake meal. Dad caught a 5.5 on Monday for his birthday present he was happy to catch and take a pic and put it back. grin They fish in a 14' red boat pulled by a white ford. Ardell and Marlys Hanson is their name, dad works at Northwoods Lumber in Backduck at the counter. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the good news. I hope it stays that way for a while.

We haven't had fish fry for awhile and we sure want one.

Looking forward to coming up.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just got back from Island lake.

Fishing was great 62+ fish were caught by 4 of us for the week.

29 walleyes, 29 northern 3 small mouth and 1 perch.

Threw back all but 4 small walleyes and 4 small Northerns.\

Just had enought for a fish fry.

The slot really made it tuff for the fish fry.

All the walleye and northerns were in the slot except for the 4 small ones we kept of each. The northerns were real skinny and we could not catch a walleye bigger then 15 in, or it was bigger then 17in.We dont like keeping 15 in would rather have 16 or 16 1/2.

The other cabins at the resorts had the same results,Great fishing but had a hard time getting anough fish for a fish fry.