• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mud flats

bobber down

I was on East/Resort/Bitcher Flat this weekend (Friday) and didn't get anything. Moved back into the North End sand and did a lot better.

I’ve been catching all my fish in 20FOW or less. The mud has been very slow for me.

We hit the water at 9:00am yesterday and had 20 fish between 24”-28”, we could have had more but at around 1:00 our camera was full and we moved shallow to find some eaters, we caught 4 of those and called it a day at 4:00. I’d say the bite is as good as it’s going to get this year. If you put in a sun up to sun down there’s no reason a boat can’t catch 30-40+ walleye a day out there. I just don’t think anyone is going to do it on the Mud right now. Things change everyday though. Good Luck.

The mud bite started off slow, but over the last week it has gotten better each and every day. The fish have been hanging just off of the edges. If you are not getting bit or are experiencing a slow bite, find the edge of the flat and switch to a slip bobber and leech.

you guys have really got it down! congratulations!

we were up saturday, 3 guys, 2 boats. the single guy in a boat caught 14 (one keeper). the two guys only caught 9 (one keeper). all were caught on leeches in 18-20fow, rock to sand transition.

im only sorry we fall into the catagory of "must have some reason..." dahhhh? just have to get up there more i guess and at earlier times. unfortunately, saturdays are the only days i can go. the last two times i got chased off the lake by storms during prime time.

this saturday i will give it a try again, even if i have to go by myself. actually i have the best fishing by myself. i can concentrate better and tend to try more things.

enjoy, while the fishing is good!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Saturday, the south end wasn't doing so hot for me, so i went out to the mud around 4pm and fished till the lightning was coming. Picked up an eater right away, and then picked up 5 slots on the lindy rig and then switched over to slip bobber on the edge and landed another 4 slot fish and got bit off once. (all slot fish were over 24")

What flats do you recommend I fished rockpile, 3 mi and Blue jug all no so hot Sat.

Thanks

First and foremost I need to say thanks to Paul at Appledorn's for the short notice lodging, Dietz and Fishkid it was great to meet you guys, would have loved to shoot the breeze with you guys a little more but than I wouldn't have had anytime to fish.,

As far as the fishing goes, I was happy with my success, hit the lake Sat eve around 6:30 and an hour later boated 2 for the return, just as I thought things were looking up, I looked out and up and saw the lightning flashes, that was enough for me that run, Got up and hit the water around 7:00 Sunday morning and fished the gravel edges, managed to pick up 5 or 6 until about 11:00 then things shut down for a bit, so I moved to the mud. Picked up three more, then that went quiet so I headed back to the gravel and found 2 more cooperate eyes. biggest was a 27" and the smallest was 14", Kept one 17" for the pan and put everything else back. Leeches on lindy's for me, 29 fow seemed to be the ticket, it seemed they weren't really holding in one particular spot, most of them were just scattered along the edges, I just ran around the edges and transitions, when I would mark one I would get bit, If I wasn't marking them I would move until I found one, seems like there hitting a little lite and not really hammering it, but they are at least hitting it. All in All I was pleased, thanks again to Appledorns hopefully I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of weeks,

Great report, gravel edges?? I have fished the mud and sand a lot but where do you suggest gravel area's.. I have fished in front of fishers and south to Agate (that seems rocky when you get that south). any colors working better than another? How long of snell?

Thanks

Green was the color working for me that day, but that can change at anytime or anyday, I usually have three rods rigged for ease of time and switch back and forth until I get a taker, one with red, one with green and one with purple. Don't really know what area I would call it, southeast, east I don't know. I was all over the lake that day it was calm enough for me to run a little here and there. If this tells you were I was at I landed at Liberty Beach and at one Point I was on Sloppy's. If I were to go back I'd do the same thing, hit the edges and transition areas, watch the graph at all times for the bottem content and keep the boat right along those areas. Snell length was right around 10', which isn't fun trying to net a fish alone on a 7' rod. Good Luck

Orange hook with a Orange bead was my ticket Saturday also with 9' snell. I was just west of the boot and just east of Garrison.....

Saturday evening, they were hanging on the top edge of the flat, and an hour before the lightning started, i was catching them on the edge.

You have to watch the electronics to see where the fish are and then target them accordingly.

also presentation is 90% of the game. Dont drag your tackle thru the mud, float it over the mud, just off the bottom, so your leech is fluttering by in the feeding zone. if you mark the fish higher, lift the rig up to meet the fish...some times they will react well to a meal served on the table.

Float it over by jigging it up and down periodically? Or use a float to "lift it" ? How fast do you go, I have been varying my speed by .6 -.9 mph, also what wight sinker I use 1/4- 3/8 oz depending on wind...

Thanks am trying to learn more about different techniques.

I was using 1/2 and 3/4 oz but i like a heavier weight. Line is vertical drop to bottom to make contact, then when forward momentum starts sinker will stay behind a little ways to create a 45 degree angle or less and then hold, drop pole a little to check and maintain bottom contact then lift slowly and hold, then lift a little more and hold. then slowly drop a little then hold...drop pole again to check and maintain vacinity to bottom.

I was using the bow mount and speed was .4 to .8 I guess.

Minnesotatuff, need a fishing partner and split gas email me about saturday. Bgross1785 at msn.com

PieEyed just wondering what area you had such good luck on if not the flats? Nobody likes giving away their spots but anything you can share would be great with gas costs would be nice to catch some fish bringing grandfather up first time ever would be nice to show him some fish...

Thank a ton...