• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone know what the green algea globs are in Cedar lake?

I believe they are what you would call a algae bloom, but if I'm wrong somebody will be sure to correct me. wink

I think the stuff is called filamentous algae. I'm not sure if that is right, or if I spelled it right.Nasty stuff to fish in, or through.

I've also seen this on Cedar, never asked anyone. I'm hoping someone answers this. Might be worthy sending this to WCCO "Good Question". smile

That would just be algae, filamentous algae more than likely. Filamentous algae is kind of stringy like, you can actually see it and pick it up with your hand. Planktonic algae can only be seen under a microscope, but it is everywhere. Often times a lake will turn green, that is a planktonic algal bloom. It's very common, and Cedar lake does have a higher level of phosphorus, which often causes algal blooms. They are actually working on a plan to reduce the phosphorus amount in Cedar. Any other questions, fire away.

I have seen the start of the summer algae, on Buffalo Lake already.