• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winnie Help needed!!

I am up at Eagles Nest resort and trying to catch some Eyes. We got here yesterday and made it out for just over an hour till the bad weather was coming. We ran over to Stony Point and fished with a couple different various green/chart jigs to no avail. We watched several eyes boated around us. Then today it was too windy. We did make out in Cut Foot and hit several areas. And once again saw a few fish boated near us in 2 different spots. Then as the wind let up we made it out to just past the gap. Once again no fish and watching them caught around us. Now I have had a few solid bites with no hookups and of course a few slimers. Now I am not a novice walleye angler and yet no means an expert but I am definately doing something wrong. The only thing that I can think is that I am using fireline and maybe I should have a mono leader. So are the fish that picky here on the line you use or what else could I be doing wrong?

I am very frustrated. I have never had this much trouble finding and catching walleyes. I hope someone just tells me the bite has been tough cause of the weather the last few days and that my boat is not jinxed.

Maybe I have fished Superior too much grin And I have slipped in the walleye department.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I will be here to sunday and I really would like to at least get a meal of eyes.

I'm sure this crappy weather isn't helping anything, but I'll throw out a couple ideas for ya. I've heard that some fish are starting to show up out on the humps, so weather and wind permitting, you may want to give those a try. Also I know some fish are being caught on rigs and leeches, so that may be another option. There's always slip bobber fishing in the evening in between Seelye and Battle point, but that can be hit and miss and sometimes hard to find a spot. Hope things improve for you.

Brian

June 12 outdoor news

LAKE WINNIBIGOSHISH

A jig and minnow continues to produce walleyes in seven to 12 feet when the wind is blowing. Little Stoney Point, South Highbanks, Raven’��s Point, Mallard Point, and the Bird Houses are all worth noting. On calm days work the main-lake bars with leeches and crawlers in 18 to 22 feet. Perch action remains strong in seven feet at the mouth of the river and Sugar Bay.

Maybe try these ares or bring binocs and look for boats?

Fireline won't make them not bite but dragging a jig thru the bottom would.

North shore, west of the gap. Northland shiner jigs or any other long shank jig to combat the short hits. 7-12 ft. Drift sock or back troll to control your speed.

make sure you have 1/8 oz jigs and I would throw the fireline away for jigging

Jason

Well made it out this am and managed to boat 1 slot fish. Tried by stony point and along the north shore. I also had a few good hits but missed and had one break the line. Still it is frustrating watching fish caught around you and not being able to get a few keepers. And I am using 1/16 ounce jigs. Also tried a leech for awhile and a spinner for the heck of it. I do not have a drift sock but have been using the bow mount to control my speed. I also don't think I am going too fast as I watch guys drifting with socks and they drift by me. Also at times the lines are straight down too. I may try some mid lake humps this afternoon and I may try the battle point in the evening.

Thanks for the help guys!

Well I hope this helps I just got back from 7 great days on Winne. I was on the south side so I fished Little Stoney with a jig and a shiner, in the evening or if it was windy or cloudy. Also rigged on little Musky and Moses with a leech or shiner. Wind is the key on Winne if its blowin there going. gold jigs seamed to out fish other colors 1/8 oz in 7 to 10 ft. Let us know how you do. blue

this may sound sappy, but relax.

have some fun while your out there.

there is much more to be taken in while on the lake than boating the same, or more number of walleyes than the boats around you.

the sound of the waves slapping off the front of your boat,knowing that the fish will be jumping just out of reach of your longest possible cast, yet still being excited enough to try.

not being at work.

my point is, once you can relax on the water, or in the woods for that matter, (talking hunting now),

the rest will come naturally.

nothing beats being prepared, that is except for being in the right place at the right time, with high hopes and low expectations.

it makes the payoff much sweeter.

it also sounds like you are doing every thing right.

except that I would agree with jason, and lose the fireline.

Spent 10 days up there. Fished stony and Pigeon on Winnie did well some days better than others. Go to the front side of Williams Narrows at night we had cabins out front and saw many walleyes caught and caught a few ourselves.

We where out on Saturday and the fishing was a little tough and when we did find a pattern we had all the guys that where in the tournament come around and the bite really slowed down. We found the fish out in front of Highbanks but we had to go out 17' and fish the break. We used shiners from Freds and jig fished with green/blue and clown pattern. The fish let go of the jig if there was just a little to much resistance so a softer rod action caught you more fish. It the weather pattern would become a little more stable that would help a ton.

Thanks guys for all the help. We ended getting a few but none to take home. But all in all it was a good trip. Even thought the weather wasn't really the greatest but I do plan to go back. I guess maybe I got my expectations to high and alittle too much pressure on myself. But hey fishing is always better than working even if they aren't biting. And I did see one boat in the tournament in Cut Foot pulling walleye after walleye next to us. Very nice guy but I can really tell I am a recreational fisherman compared to him but was fun to watch him work and produce. His boat control was amazing. But anyway I realized I need a drift sock and to get back into the walleye swing again.

So once again thanks everyone for the info and help!

Hey EG, Thanks for calling to ask me some questions. Probably no help. That weather was more than likely the bigger problem. Not being able to get out past the gap is frustrating.