• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bug control in the boat

harvey lee

I use 1 in my 16.5 ft boat and set it on the counsel and it controls the bugs pretty good in the entire boat. Its suppose to cover 225 sq ft.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Shack

• Sandmannd

• Scott K

picked up a ThermaCell last week for cattin. All I can say is awesome. just awesome.

Sounds like they work great for the mosquitos but does it work on black flies, gnats and no-see-ems? We will be on Kab/Nam over the 4th and really have a problem with the meat eating type of insects during the day. how does it work in that area?

Thanks, HTB

I am definitely going to have to get one! I went fishing on the dock tonight, dead calm, so I sprayed down with some spray. I got a big whiff of it down my lungs and almost passed out choking.

Cannot tell if they work on no-see-um as I haven't seen any. wink

Bought one for a trip to Kab and really does work smile

As I stated in earlier post I bought one based upon the great results that everyone is reporting. Could not wait to try it. So this morning in preparation for using it this weekend I grab it and start to read the directions and materials that came with it. All was great until I read the warnings....

THIS PESTICIDE IS EXTREMELY TOXIC TO FISH. eek DRIFT SPRAY FROM USE MAY BE HARMFUL TO AQUATIC ORGANISMS. (not exact quote but you get the idea).

Now I am definately not a tree hugger but this makes me very uncomfortable so I am bringing mine back un-used and will rely on the old Deet spray on my clothes to get me through.

Anyone else read the warning and going to return theirs?

not going to return mine... the levels of pesticide in the unit are well below what presents a risk to aquatic organisms. in order to make the risk a clear and pleasant danger, one would need to introduce a large amount of pesticides into the water. The manufacturer is required by federal regulation to label it as such if there is _any_ risk, no matter how remote.

to put it perspective, if you unwrapped a case of the pads and dumped them into a stagnanant water coulum, you could put the fish at risk of sickness or death.

the drift mist presents no practical threat... label in this case sounds worse than it is.

Almost all non-deet mosquito repellents offer some threat to fish... in very high quantities. years ago, I worked for the Metro Mosquito Control district, and we had rigid prohibitions for the uses of the barrier and quick kill sprays.. however the concentrations were 50 to several hundred times higher than consumer products.

Yes, I looked at the warnings and am still going to use it. No matter what one uses to control these pests, its going to have some less then desirable side effects. Spraying my skin with a chemical seems a little more likely to harm me than the chances with the Thermo cell.

One just needs to pay attention to how one uses it and this should really lower than percentage of any side effects. One also has to realize that the Fed. Gov. makes these companies show it at its worse.

100% DEET is not exactly good for a guy either. DEET builds up in your system.

I use the 3M Ultrathon lotion mostly (Great Stuff!), the Ultrathon spray occasionally. Works well and is low in DEET.

This may just be me..but I'll share my experience with the Therma Cells. We have a large display of them at our GM in Fargo. If I spend 5 minutes or less near it I'll taste it all day long, and everything I eat tastes like bug spray that day. I may be oversensitive to it or something?

I put it on my window sill last night so I could leave my screen-less window open (wonderfull landlord). I didnt notice a single bug all night, or in the morning. Can't wait to try it out this weekend in the boat!

last time I used mine i was actually "car fishing"... had the Outback parked at the water's edge, and the rod handle jammed in the alloy wheel spoke. had the ThermaCELL placed next to the open driver's door, later on next to the open tailgate.. found I had the taste of the stuff in the air during use and for maybe 15 mins after I killed it and started moving around in fresh air.

not really any worse than other aerosol or spray products, but perhaps I'm a bit numbed to them after my years in MMCD.

I just picked one up. It says that it lasts up to twelve hours. If you turn it off after a couple of hours, can you turn it back on in a day or two with the same pad in it or is it a one time use pad? Does the cartridge it comes with last for all three pads?

Yes, I have turned it off and then the next time went out and turnes it back on without changing the pad. I do not change the blue pad until the thing turns white which means the chemical has burned off.

It says each pad last about 4 hours. You get 3 pads in a refill pack and that’s how you get to 12 hours.

If you watch the pad, after an hour or so it becomes white. What I have been doing to get extra life is letting the pad go until it does not have smoke coming up from unit (around 6 hours, or until the bugs start coming around). What happens then is you run out of fluid before using the pads up. I have burned threw a couple bottles so far and I am going to see about refilling them like you would a lighter.

I just bought the lantern last night for the race trailer. Seems if it will work that good in the open air for the boat, should work great also for the race trailer even with the rear ramp door open. Always bugs in the trailer.

Shack let me know what you find out when you try refilling them.

H.L. them lanters are pretty neat, as well!

I just bought the lantern last night for the race trailer. Seems if it will work that good in the open air for the boat, should work great also for the race trailer even with the rear ramp door open. Always bugs in the trailer.

It says not to use it in an enclosed area. Even with the door open you may experience a lot of build up inside the trailer.

Used it tonight for our BBQ. Worked great. Not a true test though because I was blasting fireworks as well.

I like mine, fuel runs out before you run out of scent pads. I just put Velcro on the back and attach to the center console of my boat, it covers the front and back of the boat that way. I also use it on the deck at home and just put another piece of Velcro on the swing and hang it there. I to would be interested in anyone who has tried to refill the fuel cell?

I put mine in a bread loaf pan and then move it forward or backward in the boat depending on the breeze.

I like having it in the pan because it can't get flipped over and burn the carpet.

Finally got a real good chance to use my new ThermaCell last night. One word. Phenomenal!

Every one was on the deck within about 12-15 feet and hanging out without a single bite. Step off the patio and away about 5-10 feet and we got crushed by the buggers. Back to the ThermaCell and viola, no more skeeters.

Very impressive. Thanks to all on here that recommended it and had the courage to try it out early on.

WOW, thanks for the input on this device, went out to Walmart

last night before firing off the fireworks and it they worked

wonders compared to the getting all stinky from Deep woods off.

Let them get going for a about 5 mn and now worries after. These

are fantastic. Bought 6 refills and 2 thermocells. Should last a

while.

Used ours on vacation this past week and they didn't work worth a darn. We got bit up by mosquitos regardless of having both running within 20' of each other.

Don't know why, but for us they didn't keep the mosquitos away at all.

They require to be on for about 20 minutes before they work well. Look at the front end of it, can you see the red v shaped coil, or just a blue flame? If it is windy out, the wind will blow away the scent and wont work well. I have noticed even with it on, when prime time is there you will get a swarm or two that it doesnt repel. But I would say 90% of those buggers are detered, and that alone is well worth it!

Yeah, we had them on for a couple hours sitting around at night. Both nights were nice and calm and as you mention, the coils were red and there was a slight stream of smoke rising from the units.

Maybe you found some real hungry skeeters! If you arent happy with them, I am sure someone would buy them from you.