• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bug control in the boat

harvey lee

Got mine at Fleet Farm yesterday. Leaving Wed. for Kabetogama so I will give it a work out this week. Bought some refills too.

Bringing the usual bug spray just in case grin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Shack

• Sandmannd

• Scott K

Does it only work if you're still fishing or can you use it trolling as well?

That was my question too, JohnK. We spend all of our time trolling and I would love to have an alternative to the 100% Deet that I spray on to keep the skeeters away, those biting flys are immune to just about everything, they even come around the 100% Deet that I spray on my socks, shoes and hat!

Windy

I would say for trolling, it would not be as effective as when sitting still. It states that in the directions.

But I would try it and let us know.

I know when I move spots on the river, it takes a couple minutes to totally clear out the skeeters again, but they do not seem to be as bad as the first spot and before turning unit on. When I move, I do leave unit on and slide under console. This sends the permeating fumes up under the console and they go threw out the enclosed area of the boat, via and access opening (rather large) under the console. So, the fumes are still holding strong during a move and then when we stop, I open an access hatch in front and rear and all the fumes come out at that point.

This has been working for me.

I will also add, I used shore fishing this weekend and it worked great for this also. Not just a boat thing for fishing.

Well I picked one up and will put it to the test this weekend.

I report back with my findings.

Sifty

Well, I didn't get much use out of mine this last weekend, with 35 mph winds on Friday and a steady breaze on Saturday there were no bug issues during the day.

I did fire mine up sitting in the lawn chair at the camp site friday night. The skeeters were buzzing my ears initally and then i said, Hey, i got my new toy i can try. I put it together and fired it up and set it by my feet. I honestly didn't see or hear one skeeter for the next hour. Short test drive period, but so far so good.

I had heard good things about the themacell a few weeks back when I was out with Hanson, pre-thermacell, so I bought one, and took it out on a "test drive" on the MN river a day later. Man they do work good, so good that you even forget that there are any bugs in the area. Then you turn on your headlamp, and you can see them all hovering, but not coming close to the fumes.

lambjm, where did you find that bug reppellent you call bullfrog? we looked at walmart,menards, home depot and fleet farm in st cloud last nite and noone had it and when i asked about it they looked at me funny. is this a special bug spray only sold in northern mn for them loon size bugs up north? let me know im real interested in it. i did get my thermocell at fleet farm last nite. $19.99 plus #19.99 for the 12 pac refill.bring on the bugs!

I haven't looked specifically for it, but when i went into Gander for the Thermacell, it was on the same shelf as teh bullfrog stuff.

I received an e-mail saying Listerine, yes mouthwash will take care of the bugs. It said fill a 4 oz spray bottle and spray around your chair and around the are you want to protect. The only warning don't spray it directly on wood doors, but the frame around and around the area you are spending your time.

I have not tried it but a friend did and worked grat, and at 2.00 a bottle it will last all summer, and if a hot chick or guy comes by, a little spray in the mouth and your covered there also. Dual purpose...... "Believe it or Not"

I heard about Listerine to repel bugs just yesterday from a guy I was golfing with. He said it needed to be the Listerine that is sold in the brown bottle.

If it works great, but if it smells as bad as it tastes then........

Oh Oh, the girlfriend used the Listerene in the blue bottle. However, she claims that it did help.

Myself on the otherhand went and got myself a thermocell. I will see how it works this weekend.

I think Thermocell should be an FM sponsor with all of the good words said about it on here. I know a quite a few people that have bought them because of the reviews on here!

Listerene works!!!!! My mom has been telling me about it for years so I finally tried it. It is the "brown" or original Listerene, so you aren't minty fresh, but man does it work. What is weird is that the skeeters and stuff will still hover around, even land on you, but WILL NOT BITE!!!!. Pretty darned cool IMO.

Haven't had the chance t fir up the ThermCell yet, but will on Sunday.

Anyone ever try Cayane Pepper sprinkled on the carpet?

funny thing is i was just at fleet picking up a new muskie rod (got a reel at a good price,so you have to get a new rod too right?) and was gonna throw a post on here asking people what their experiences with them were, looks like i may have a reason to make another trip out there, wahoo!

lambjm, where did you find that bug reppellent you call bullfrog? we looked at walmart,menards, home depot and fleet farm in st cloud last nite and noone had it and when i asked about it they looked at me funny. is this a special bug spray only sold in northern mn for them loon size bugs up north? let me know im real interested in it. i did get my thermocell at fleet farm last nite. $19.99 plus #19.99 for the 12 pac refill.bring on the bugs!

I usually get mine at wallyworld, it is not in the camping or sporting goods section, but in the health and beauty section. I like it because it is also a sunscreen. If you google bullfrog repellant you will find it at various online stores.

down here in Iowa the city comes by and "sprays" each street with something that really does a number on the skeets. a guy wouldn't belive the diff unless you experienced it yourelf.

One night I can barely walk to the back fence without getting eating alive, the next night (after a spray) i can sit on the deck with no shirt and have no problems at all. and this with nearly 11" of rain this June. I think this must be on the same deal as the themacell, just bigger.

Mud -

I hope what they are spraying is safe - when I was a kid they used to spray DDT or some such which worked great but it turns out it was nearly as effective on people as skeeters....

Made me question if I wanted to get one of these Thermacells but went for it anyway - also bought a Thermacell lantern for the deck.

DDT was a great bug killer and a very dangerous chemical. I do believe that the chemicals are somewhat safer today but we won't know all the side effects until 10 or better years from now.

I will continue to use it and try not to breathe any of the smoke as I'm sure its not good for you.

I will continue to use it and try not to breathe any of the smoke as I'm sure its not good for you.

Does it give off a lot of smoke, and is it a strong smelling smoke? I was going to get one of these, but I have COPD and should avoid strong chemical odors and smoke.

I didn't notice any smoke at all.

There is a very mild, and i stress very mild odor and unless the wind is still and it is right underneath you, you wouldn't even smell it. at least taht was my experience with it.

We just bought 2 thermacells and refills for our Canada vacation. Should be a good test for us on how well these things work. Maybe we'll actually get to sit out at night and roast a few marshmallows!?!?!?

Well I put it to a test this weekend.

Friday night at the bun-fire it seem to work well the real test was on Sat. I needed to move some brush so I set it out in the area that needed to be cleaned up and waited a half hour the skeeters where there when I put it out when I went back they seem to be alot less noticable.

My two cents is the thermacell work.

Sifty

As far as fumes and smell, I would say a citronella candle puts out more fumes, smoke and smell the Thermocell does, with much less effectiveness.

You see a little smoke just above the unit and that is about it. I run mine until it does not smoke anymore. I burned threw my first fuel cell this weekend and I might try to refill like a cig. lighter. Still have one waffer left from my first pack yet.

It's pretty much standard issue for late season turkey bowhunts in the blind. Yes, it works that well. Lots of times I forget the thing, then I'm dealing with spraying 100% DEET in my eyes/mouth. Not cool. Ask Deitz.

I've owned one now for two years, and esp. for late night fishing for eyes or cats, just turn it on and put it underneath your seat. Works great. With a light breeze, or you're fishing on a bigger boat, it's nice to have two of them; one halfway to the bow, the other halfway to the stern.

Joel

I bought one recently after seeing the results. It's amazing in that you know when the pad runs out, because the bugs start showing up again.

What I like best is not having to use any bug spray.

Now I just need to find good pricing on bulk refils.