• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I did almost get us in trouble coming out of there after cutting the branches. I was trying to control the back of the boat and the front got away from me for just a second and next thing we knew we were broadside in the current getting pushed up onto a tree. Luckily the 40 hp was enough to pull us back.....with a couple dings on the new prop as souvenirs.

Everyone will appreciate the potential severity of that situation when they see it tomorrow.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• pureinsanity

• wastewaterguru

• ec30_06

Oh, I get a pucker down below just thinking about coming down. eek

Thanks guys for clearing it.

I am all for the TNT......for the log jam.....and the whole bridge.

I sent an email to channel 5 as well as the state rep. for that district explaining the situation.

Hopefully we will get some action soon before someone gets into serious trouble down there.

Picture yourself canoeing down from Jordan......and coming up to that mess. If you are even a little tardy turning for shore, the consequences could be bad......

And imagine the feeling you'd have when you realized you had no option but to head back up to Jordan 8 miles.

The gap we sawed out is good for small powerboats, but the crosscurrent could really pose a significant hazard to a unmotorized boat trying to get through there.

I havent ever seen it, but may be I will tomorrow night. You would think DNR would do something, I cant imagine it would take much to bring the trestle down going off of how you guys describe it. It would be a cool site to see it be blown up though wink

Blow it up..that would be cool! Somebody call Hollywood. I wonder if they could find any good "characters" around here to be in the movie grin

First WWG gets whacked with a stick, then he prolly helped Darren saw out the tree (or at least controlled the boat while Darren sawed, not sure on the logistics...). Then, to top it off, he ended up with an orange monkey in the boat! Man, what an evening!

Hey John, don't you have any recipes for TNT from your days as a chem. e. student?

Blow it up..that would be cool! Somebody call Hollywood. I wonder if they could find any good "characters" around here to be in the movie grin

It could be used in a remake of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" grin Kind of looks from that time period.

I bet if watsewater added a little to my home made fireworks recipie we could clear a path.

I bet if watsewater added a little to my home made fireworks recipie we could clear a path.

did you say clear a path...or did you mean clear a bridge... whistle

*boom boom*!!!

Can you say, insty-structure, boys and girls? laugh

in all seriousness, with the size of that logjam, what's going to happen if we get a somewhat greater than average icepack coming downriver in the spring? good God, that would be a mess. can we make the arguement on a flood control basis?

Saturday I went through the cut open area without a problem I thought. I did bump into something but didn't think much of it. When I looked at the boat yesterday, I noticed all three blades on my prop have been reshaped.

Junk prop, off to Soderbloom's.

I heard WWG and Grant had to reclear the opening for us on Saturday night. Another large log floated into the opening. If true, thanks guys.

I also got a prop wash on Sunday morning. It was coming out of the gate down stream of the bridge. I must have just caught the bar and was not over to the west enough.

Those jet boys sure know how to run that stretch. You do not even hear the throttle drop one bit grin

Little late, but thanks from me too. I've used the opening 3 times this year or so.

Tyler, have you used the new and improved path yet (as of last week?)?

The window is only 8' wide (no kidding). When going upstream, you would have no idea of the dog leg left you have to take now. I had WWG and grant in front of me when going threw and I swear when they took that 90deg. left and disappeared into the wood pile, their was no way threw it, until we saw the opening at the last minute. That is when you see the tiny opening they had to cut.

Man, I wish I would have got a picture

grin

on the trip thru in question... we didn't see the log that had hung across the gap until after we were committed. had about 2 seconds to brace ourselves before the bump.

got lucky on the screw however. no apparent damage when we took the boat out.

that wood pile is exciting to pass thru for sure... I'd like to get the SS Bathtub in that section of the river, but I'm not sure if she's got enough oomph to navigate the cut.

Thanks again for moving that out of the way. We were a few minutes behind you. I can do without going thru there again. What a mess!!!

WOW! I've heard you guys talking about how difficult this spot is but geesh what a nightmare.

I was able to get to this area once over the weekend. Not only has is not gotten any better, it is worse.

It’s pretty much impossible to go through downstream without banging on one side on the log pile and then banging off the other. Would not recommend going upstream of Carver until the area is cleared.

I drive by there daily and will try to keep everyone updated.

Took a peek last night.

It appears that someone made an effort to clear the fallen tree. It looks better, at first glance, but I noticed that just the foilage has been removed, and the tree is still there and I can still see under water lumber just waiting to be hit in the opening.

Still a mess. frown

I'm guessing that it's the best that an individual could do on his own though. Probably need some special equipment brought in to make it safe.

I might get over there to check it out one of these nights.

Did you get a chance to check out the ramp condition with the dropping water??

Nope, just stopped by the bridge and walked over. I would imagine if there has been no boat traffic at the landing it is probably getting pretty greasy again.

I was hoping someone would post a pic so I could see what all the fuss was about. How is the fishing around the log jam? Don't worry I never make it down that far!

I will try to remember to shoot video next time I squeeze through there. Now that the water is lower and the current down a bit I might be able to go through slower than I had been.

Hey dtro, its a mess up there. I guess one of y'all emailed the Water Trails people at the DNR. Are you the Darren mentioned in there? smile

Went out there and used the chainsaw on whatever we could get to - its pretty bad. You can't get to the large live cottonwood log under water, especially with the current. If the water goes down you might be able to get to it, but there's so much tension on that piece that sawing it is very dangerous. Can snap up and hit you or the boat, or more likely, pinch your saw and you'd have a tough time getting it out. We did remove as much above water stuff as we could, plus some dead logs, and a couple smaller underwater branches. Should be able to get a boat thru the left side of that open chute, unless more wood floats in there

Its about as good as it is gonna get from a jon boat with a chainsaw... dangerous work for sure. I don't know what else you would do save for TNT or a hoist from the railroad trestle