• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northwest Angle reports?

I am also curious as we are heading up to the Young’s Bay resort next Friday for a week. We normally fish Bishops Bay and the area.

Sounds like Tug Channel off of Falcon Island has been good...not sure yet of exatct spots as this is a large area but will find out..we are heading to Flag Island on Thursday to Tuesday...good luck......

Stiffy, wanna go to the lake tomorrow around noon?? call me if you want to

Todd,

Stiffy and I are headed up to the Angle Friday a.m.

We will be on our cell phones.

Later,

Heading up to NW Angle next week and I'm wondering if anyone could share a walleye spot. I'll fish either the CAN or US side. I've only been up there once before. Any advice on getting the new Lakemaster MMC card?

Ranger, where are you staying?? I would recomoned the chip

for navigation. We are heading up this Friday and staying at

Youngs Bay resort. We normaly head into Canada and fish

Bishops bay. Jigging along steep breaks on the shoreline is how

we normally get our walleyes. Bring lots of jigs, you will

get hung up.

By now you are probably up on LOW fishing but here are some areas we did well...North of Falcon Island in Johnston Passage and East side of Lily Island and the channels North East of Coste Island....good numbers and size, pink white jigs with 3 inch gulp emerald shiners produced best...4-15 ft..hit all points and you should pick up some good numbers..others fished the points on the south side of Tranquil Channel and had strong success....good luck..

Thanks for the report. I am heading up on Friday

Did the Gulp product out produce live bait?

Give you an example of the gulp...my son caught 6 walleyes on one gulp..did not notice any difference between gulp and live..also as we snag up quit often the gulp stays on the hook as we go back to get the jig..1st time i used it and I'm sold on it....now not sure how it will produce late season eyes but can't imagine the season would matter...we also used gulp on the Rabbit Ears points on south side of Oak Island and did very well...give it a try...jig color was the critical piece so try many colors...clasic gold and pink/white with red hood...now hook up may be a little tougher as I seemed to miss some bites but that was probable just me..as usual..so I can blame it on the gulp...

We are heading up on the 12th staying on Flag Island. I heard a rumor they are moving into the flats. Did you try any lindys on the flats? Thanks for the tip on the Gulp, will have to pick some up and try it for the first time.

tully

We only fished the flats by Flag Island once and nothing, did not give it much time....some minor activity close to Brush on the south side..stayed up in Canada on the points, reefs were empty, at least the few we tried. Flats may be ready by the time you get there..try Rabbit Ear points off of Oak as that produced well with jigs and gulp, move from Rabbit to Lake Trails points and that should be decent if you don't want to head north...good luck...

Thanks for the pointers. It is a blast to go up into Tug for the day but it is nice to fish the flats in the evening close to the cabin. Any problems getting through at the border?

Thanks,

Tully

I am heading up in 2 weeks for the first time can any one help a brother out as to where to fish and what do you catch up in the Tug area i am bringing my 12 year old son and would love for him to get into a bunch of fish.

Thanks

#1 make sure you have a good map of the area. We have good luck at Lilly every year, and several wind blown points along the way. Schoolhouse area is usually good as well. Check here and the Flag Island report right before you go. I will report on the 16th how we did and where we fished.

Tully

Tully, as for the border, we cross at Roseau, you will need drivers license and birth certificate for each member of your party, now if you have a passport all the better but i understand passports for ground travel are not needed until June of 09..careful of DUIs as if it is on your record Canada will not let you in...our U.S. people have their process they need to go through but very professional and appreciated....have fun and let us know how you do.....

I would second Tully on the maps, typically your resorts will have available and some will rent you a GPS with Lake Of The Woods lake chip, priceless if you are heading into canada...check with your resort. Don't forget the old slip bobber rig off the dock around dusk with the your one....put a leach of nigh crawler on and keep an eye on it..finally, if you have the time and money, try one of the local guides first time out..will show you techniques and areas..again priceless and all resorts will line you up...have fun....

Heading there next week any good advise and what to use would be great we have a guide the 2nd day but would like to get out on our own what do they cacth over in the tug area.

thanks

Tug has tons of good points and ledges for walleye. We typically find a wind blown point and try some jigging. You can also catch the occassional Northern, Muskie and Smallmouth Bass. I will report next Monday and give you a heads up and how we did and what worked well for us.

Tully

tbirath:

Good advise!! One note....Right now June, 09 is what we are being told, however, this is a U.S. requirement, not a Canadian one. Being polite at the borders (U.S. and Canada) is all important. I know it's been said before but these men and women are just doing thier jobs, if we can help them out a bit by being legal and ready, heck, why not.

Sorry, forgot to add.

Becareful, water is riseing, current is getting faster, deadheads are floating. For you guys going to Flag Island Resort and fishing the lake blind. Check with or call Danny, I believe he is renting out GPS's again this yr.

Peachy personal email here. we will just be getting back when you are up there I think.

Any one use the the remote telephone service in the area to call for the 1 day pass to enter Canada for a day of fishing. Just curious as to what information i need to have to give to them and what type of questions they ask.Help would be great i know this is a new service they offer so you dont have to buy the Remote Pass. And are the lines long and how much time should we prepare for.

Thanks

Peachy,

I have used the phone service for years. They will ask for your boat lic # make and model of the boat, full name and DOB for everyone in the boat. What you plan to do in Canada and the normal questions about how much booze, smokes, and bait. No real problems ever with them. Takes less then 5 min usually. And once you have everyones names in the computer it takes even less time.

Hope that helps.

Froggy

Froggy hit the nail on the head.

No lines...usually, and have everyone's full name and DOB ready for them. Write down the number they give you in case you get checked by MNR/OPP while in Canadian waters for the day.

Just got back from LOW Sunday. Stayed at NW Angle Resort, VERY nice people! Fishing was good and the weather was windy and unpredictable, from thunder storms to partly cloudy. I purchased a Lakemaster LOW chip @ Reed's on the way up.It was priceless, I would strongly recommend getting one. It will save you from getting lost, banging up your lower unit, and save the expense of a guide. Fished CAN side, Long Island, Drift, & to the NW. Fish were in 20, 21, & 23 ft depending on the day. Used pink & white and gold 1/4 oz jigs, with gulp or mionnows. Gulp works! Dont get the 2.5" though.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help!!! smile

Got back Sunday as well. Vulcanranger stole my thunder since his report is about exactly what I was going to say. ;-)

Did a lot of catching around Lilly, fished some rock piles in different bays and did real well. I did get a 38" & 40" Northern my biggest yet. A guy in our other boat landed a 51" Musky.

Pink & white, or gold were the colors for the walleyes, and yes we caught several on Gulp.

Good luck to all going up.

Tully