• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mine pit lakes by Crosby - Ironton

Always wanted to get out on these mine pit lakes but am a bit intimidated by the depths...and the fact that Ive never fished for trout in lakes before...

Can someone give some information on how to catch the trout in these lakes? What kind of bait and how do you fish for them...

How do they move throughout the year? How deep are they? Morning or evening bite better?

Im just looking for some general information here so I at least have a fighting chance to catch something there.

Thanks.

I have tried it several ways and had success....we used the boat and electric motor to move around...Mepps spinners and had good success..I have also used whole crawlers from shore and had success. The bait stores in Crosby are helpful on letting you know what to use at what time of the year. The fishing is a blast, and they have rules posted at the landing because they are designated trout lakes. Like "no live minnows"

So...mostly a shoreline break kind of thing? Portsmouth mine last week there were about 8-10 boats all fishing random parts of the lake 20-30 yards from shore it looked...

Did you fish the worms on the bottom?

Hopefully the Lowrance will be working well enough to mark the fish if theyre there...

The fellas at oars n mine can usually help too.

Thanks

We just cruised and watched for them jumping and then cast that was. The other times, I used a slip bobber, but there were others using bottom rigs. I am not really an expert at it, but the couple of times I went, we had good luck. The brother-in-law and father-in-law live up there and limit out. I think it is Pennington they go to.

yeah stop in at Oars 'n Mine and tell Jesse that Bob sent ya. he will give ya some tips and tricks to catching some trout in the pits

Fished Pennington this weekend for the first time ever. Here is what worked for me. I found a calm little bay in the direct sun and threw everything at em. Nothing worked until I tried a TD-5 taildancer. Didn't matter what color I used, as long as it was a 5. I crushed em. Super slow retrieve. I caught fish on that lure constantly in every sunny part of the lake. We started moving just to find out if this worked in more areas. IT DID!!!! No matter how deep the water was that lure, cast as far as I could and brought back slow, hammered the trout. I tried 6 different colors and 3 different sizes and the 5 was the only size that worked, But every color combo was great.

What I found was that as the shade moved in, the fish slowed down. I moved to sunnier locales, and got em on again.

Also, if any other boats came by, and whenever we moved, it took about 15 minutes for the fish to bite again.

I never tried trout fishing prior to that, but I am loving it now.

Went out last evening and the night before, from shore and threw the same baits with nearly the same success rates. My brother went out tonight, good and sunny and warm. Bought himself a couple TD-5's of his own and limited in under 2 hours.

So for now, I am hooked on that bait. I'll switch and learn more when that stops working.

You can pretty much just troll around with small Countdown Rapala's as well to locate fish. No big method, just cast out and putter around. You will find fish all over the lake. CNC, I see you are now an addict! Good job! A few years ago, I swapped walleye for trout on opener. Make hay when the sun shines, as when the water warms up, the trout will go deeper. When that happens, you can just drift along with a Buckshot spoon down 30 feet or so.

So far I am finding fish the best and most active in the height of a sunny day. The brighter the better. But yes, I am growing addicted. Thanks for the buckshot tip.

Went out yesterday on Huntington and fished from shore. I got 3 keepers and all were on a bobber with crawler. Other people next to me were also catching them on crawler. Tried earlier in the morning with Rapala's, spoons, and spinners but nothing wanted them. Got better as the sun got higher in the sky.

My brother had about the same story from yesterday hornsnfins. Couldn't by a fish on anything other than crawlers on a bobber. I went out last evening with a small mepps in rainbow colors and hammered em. Same spot, same lake. He fished during the afternoon, like 2pm or so, I was out about 8pm. I caught a bunch but kept only 4 for dinner tonight.

Just wondering what everyone's keeper size is for trout. I have only been fishing trout for a couple of years and still am not sure what to expect for size. Usually I don't keep them unless they are over 10 inches or if they are hooked real bad. Should I expect to catch bigger fish.

I have only been fishing Portsmouth this year and it really hasn't been anything great, at least not like the start to last year.

I would have to say that 10 inches is a good number to work with. I have caught ones that were 14 but they are sometimes rare. I usually let go the smaller ones that are hooked in the mouth. I try to be selective and keep the bigger ones for a meal. I guess it depends how many you want to keep and clean.

I rarely fish trout so I am not the person to talk to. I have fished the pits up in that area on the odd occaission but never did very well. The biggest I ever landed was about a pound and a half. About the size of a decent perch. I know they get bigger than that but for my money they are a lot of work to catch and between you and me I would rather catch Walleyes and Bronzebacks.

Sorry to be so negative. From where I live the Pits are some distance and when you don't do well after fishing trout and getting pumped up a couple of times you tend to lose interest.

I set 12" as my smallest keeper. But you sure catch a ton right about 10 or so. Still catching them hand over fist on the pits right now, but I hear that it is about to slow down soon. I hope so, I gotta get after the smallies and the eyes again.

this now gives me another option for thursday. I was going up to larson lake west of togo for splake, but I may stay close to home and go to pennington mines instead. last year I did catch some nice bass in the lakes also.

• 3 weeks later...

Any action happening on the Crosby mine pit lakes? Will be in the area the third week of June and may try these lakes for the first time. Any lake/technique suggestions welcome.

Just out of Cuyuna is Manuel,I've always done well on the north end which is what you come to 1st as you enter in on the trail.

Sunny days are still bringing trout to the surface, or near about, on all of em.

Keith's onto it as well. Manuel is a safe bet, plus it is smaller than Pennington or Portsmouth, so you don't have as much area to search over.

Was out this morning and got into a couple on Portsmouth.

Does Manuel have a boat launch or carry down access? Do you necessarily need downriggers for summer mine lake fishing or can trolling with deep diving crankbaits work? Generally how deep is the thermocline in late June?

Thanks,

Bowfin

You'd be able to canoe it. I fish from shore.I'll use a 1/4 lindy weight ,2 foot scnell a hook and some pink floating powerbait dough.

We slaughtered them by casting out and wait for the hit.