• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Carb question ?

Fishin=Easy

Question

Hey forum rookie here, my 18 horse lawn mower only runs well when at 3/4 choke i figure its the carb and is getting too much air intake somewhere else . any ideas?? carb is easy too get off but there's a lot to take off first to get at the 2 bolts.

13 answers to this question

Welcome Fishin, We have a few carb guys around here that will be more than happy to get you started in the right direction!

Check the air filter. That should be easy to get off. It could be that it is nasty.

Elsewise, spray it up with some carb cleaner and mix some SeaFoam in the gas. Let it run as low as you can set the throttle for 5 minutes. Let it sit until it cools and repeat. If after 3-4 times trying this and it doesn't get better, then mix in the wrenches.

Many times you dont have to even remove the carb. Since you didn't mention any leakage, you can pretty safely assume that the needle and seat are functioning ok. If you can get at the bowl, remove that and clean the main jet. Also (depending on the style carb) there may be some very tiny holes in the tube section of the bowl retaining nut, these need to be cleaned too.

Well i took the top half of the carb off, with the float connected since i didn't have to remove anything else to get to that much . wasn't dirty or gummed or anything but I cleaned it anyway. No difference. Looks like I'll just remove a few more parts so i can get the cylinder off and check that out. Thanks fellas

Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold, gaskets etc. Don't start tearing it apart looking for things. If it needs to be choked to run, you have one of two problems, too little fuel or too much air entering somewhere besides the carb. Put it back together and running and check for vacuum leaks.

alright, when i take off the air box and filter there is a 1/2 hose going to the crank case, and a larger triangle shaped hose but it is only 3 in. long and opens up toward the fly wheel. are these what your talking about?

Or do you think it's somewhere between the gas tank and the carb?

I think your main jet, its on the bottom of carb body and is about 1/4 to 1/2 in above the carb. bowl, is pluged.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

First replace the fuel filter.

Sometimes when you remove or simply drain the bowl the extra float drop opens the inlet valve a bit more and debris can pass.

To help that flush along, some gas tanks remove easy, if you elevate it(might have to reroute the fuel line to do so) Gas should flow unrestricted though the inlet valve. If it doesn't look to taking off the carb and replacing the inlet valve.

If that checks out and as said, look for an air leak or dirty carb. Clean the main jet and circuits.

If all this advice doesnt work just get a rebuild kit there cheap, easy and you can do a complete clean,but like surface the filter would be my first move.

Well i had nothing else to do today so i removed a lot of parts to clean the grease, grime and grass off everything. Took the whole carb off and apart and soaked it for a bit, then hit it with the compressor. I removed the fuel filter to look inside, nothing inside, just the plastic bulb, plus it was so old and brittle one of the ends broke of inside the gas line. replaced thats.I'm not sure if it was just the filter or the carb but either way the carb needed cleaning. Put her back together and it runs like a deer (not really its a White). I had to jump the wires because of rusty wiring to the starter other than that its ready for the lawn.

Thanks